Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th June 2021, 12:12   #11
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Thanks for the replies folks, shame to hear that some of you have also had issues.

Simon (sd1too). I have ordered parts lately that were advertised as genuine mg rover parts, paid a higher price for the said parts. They Arrived in the little bags with the mg rover stickers stated made in china or made in Austria etc which still states the x-part website on the bottom of the label. The issue is, if the supplier I purchased the item from is sourcing supposed "genuine" items from x-part and x-part are obtaining parts made by a non original mg rover manufacturer or at the very least.. made to the same quality standards and materials to the same tolerances then despite it coming from x-part how can it be deemed a "genuine" item? Not sure where the sense of paying more for a supposed genuine mg rover item that arrives with the correct labelling with the x-part website printed etc only to find the item itself within the bag or box isn't the same in terms of quality. Would it be wise to pay the lower price that is advertised as a non original mg rover item but is the equivalent to ? Or should one simply pay the inflated price and believe it is genuine despite having doubts and hope the parts last?

Sorry if this reads as a rant, it's not all. I'm simply thinking of the best solution to ordering parts. Could I simply be over thinking things?

Old 16th June 2021, 12:44   #12
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Doesn't really matter if it is bagged or not , nor does the holographic sticker mean anything, remember the Indian arms.

Stan
Forgive my ignorance but in what reference is "Indian arms" made to?

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2021, 12:49   #13
biffa75
Trader

I think the reference to "Indian arms" is the rear upper suspension arms. Those rear upper suspension arms made in India were of poor quality and were tested by a member on here I believe how found the welds gave way under testing, poor quality paint finish in comparison to those rear upper suspension arms made in china, where the overall quality was better.
Old 16th June 2021, 13:01   #14
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
Thanks for the replies folks, shame to hear that some of you have also had issues.

Simon (sd1too). I have ordered parts lately that were advertised as genuine mg rover parts, paid a higher price for the said parts. They Arrived in the little bags with the mg rover stickers stated made in china or made in Austria etc which still states the x-part website on the bottom of the label. The issue is, if the supplier I purchased the item from is sourcing supposed "genuine" items from x-part and x-part are obtaining parts made by a non original mg rover manufacturer or at the very least.. made to the same quality standards and materials to the same tolerances then despite it coming from x-part how can it be deemed a "genuine" item? Not sure where the sense of paying more for a supposed genuine mg rover item that arrives with the correct labelling with the x-part website printed etc only to find the item itself within the bag or box isn't the same in terms of quality. Would it be wise to pay the lower price that is advertised as a non original mg rover item but is the equivalent to ? Or should one simply pay the inflated price and believe it is genuine despite having doubts and hope the parts last?

Sorry if this reads as a rant, it's not all. I'm simply thinking of the best solution to ordering parts. Could I simply be over thinking things?

That is the million dollar question. The vast majority of parts put into stock and made via MGR sourcing are now exhausted. x-part, might, if they have access to the OEM and the specifications/drawings have the parts re-made to necessary quality. The next alternative, if the OEM is no longer in business or not interested in a small batch, have the item made to the original specification by another manufacturer of repute. This, non-oem item, will usually keep the same part number.

Now, the really grey and irritating issue. If the two above methods are not possible then a supplier such as x-part will go to third parties. x-part may have to accept this third party quality and specification because either the 3rd party is unwillingly or unable to produce higher quality or the purchasing supplier (x-part) is unwilling to pay for quality.

So, a part made by a 3rd party is unlikely to better the original but is it a part authorized by, say, x-part or just supplied as a pattern part to the trade. The trade may accept more than one source of pattern part and these pattern parts may, or may not, still retain the original part number.

Once you know the genuine (up to 2005 year) part is not available then one is at the mercy (if no previous knowledge of the source of the part) of the description and good name of the supplier.

We're now all in this boat!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2021, 13:15   #15
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

A couple of years ago I needed to replace the hydromount on my ZTT..
rather than buy a cheap Chinese item I paid more and ordered OE from X-Part.. Guess what .. when the so called OE part appeared the only markings on it were CHINA !!
One of the reasons my next car will be from a current manufacturer then at least if the part is C**P you have a parts counter to take it back to and not have weeks of issues with faceless mail order companies.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2021, 14:46   #16
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Rob,

Don't worry, your post didn't read as a rant. I can see that you're asking reasonable questions in pursuit of obtaining the best parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
The issue is, if the supplier I purchased the item from is sourcing supposed "genuine" items from x-part and x-part are obtaining parts made by a non original mg rover manufacturer or at the very least.. made to the same quality standards and materials to the same tolerances then despite it coming from x-part how can it be deemed a "genuine" item?
Because during the life of the 75/ZT MG Rover will have changed the supplier of many parts. They are both "genuine" because they are approved by the manufacturer and sold under its name. X-Part has taken over that mantle so the same applies to them.

A genuine part isn't necessarily good quality and an aftermarket part isn't necessarily poor quality. As with everything it's up to the buyer to beware and make a decision also bearing price in mind.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 16th June 2021 at 15:26.. Reason: Grammar
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2021, 15:17   #17
biffa75
Trader

I'm glad that my earlier post was taken this way 🙂.

Thanks for clearing this up Simon, much appreciated.

I guess if mgr was making changes to the cars and deleting items (project drive). I guess it would also make sense for mgr to source possible manufacturers that can produce sub assemblies cheaper than it would cost here in the u.k. makes financial sense to me (even more so considering that mgr was looking towards Chinese companies to bank roll the mgr company). Which could have allowed further assemblies if not complete vehicles to be built in China had a deal been done and mgr been saved (who knows what could have happened I guess).

Back on track though, if mgr changed parts supplies to that of other countries for financial reasons whatever, if the same suppliers are supplying x-part etc then yeah I can see how that could be seen as genuine in that sense.

I'm just hoping future parts purchase will be okay, as a daily car and a young family saving for our first house I have to be sensible. I really like the car and if the parts weren't a concern is be buying more mg rover cars , already seen an mg zs but the wife says "not yet".

Rob
Old 16th June 2021, 16:23   #18
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I have Ian, here:

I think what's being referred to in this thread is retailers and eBay sellers who state that a part is "genuine" but does not arrive in MG Rover branded packaging. The buyer then feels indignant but what they have bought is more than likely something different.

Yes, you're correct Ian. That's the definition of "genuine". It's the vehicle manufacturer or its parts agent endorsing the part as meeting the standards set by them.

Agreed. I bought two suspension bushes from X-Part. One was made in China and the other in the UK. They looked identical and they arrived in sealed bags with an MG Rover label.

Simon

Simon,
for me if macafee2 makes the part today and never had anything to do with Rover when they were a going concern, then I cannot see how anyone can consider the part to be genuine. Fraud more like
I appreciate you explaining

Anyone think of buying parts should read what you and I have posted as it is in my opinion, informative.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2021, 16:46   #19
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Hi kev , the reference of Indian arms was the upper arms , someone brought/compared one made in India and one from China.
The difference in quality was huge but both were mg rover and both had genuine holographic stickers on , so both would be classed as genuine.
Thankfully Matt and Scott have sorted this issue out now and all we need from them now is to to sort all the other dodgy parts out.
We can live in hope.

Stan
Old 16th June 2021, 16:54   #20
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
macafee2 could make a part today, supply to x-part ...
If X-Part placed an order with you then it follows that they have approved your part. It is therefore "genuine".
Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
for me if macafee2 makes the part today and never had anything to do with Rover when they were a going concern, then I cannot see how anyone can consider the part to be genuine. Fraud more like
Remember that the Chinese companies effectively bought MG Rover and continued to produce the cars. Would you say that none of the parts they commissioned or made themselves for these cars, and supplied to X-Part, cannot be called "genuine" MG Rover?

Simon