Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th June 2021, 11:13   #1
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Default Motor insurance ripoff

Why do all (most?) insurers provide cover for EU, when I doubt that not a high proportion of vehicles ever leave the UK?

If you want overseas cover, surely it should be an option at your cost, not part paid by everyone?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 11:19   #2
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Don’t worry, I’m pretty sure that soon you will have to apply for a green card to drive in Europe, but don’t expect your UK only policy to go down to reflect the lower risk.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 11:48   #3
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I hear there are moves afoot to change a lot of seemingly irrelevant matters. You can't help wondering what they will turn to next to discourage any unrest in the so-called 'Community'.

Food for thought on the subject of insurance: what matters is not only the cost of repair to your own car in the event of an accident, but a question of legality in that matter. So long as the 3rd party risks are fully covered, the question of Comprehensive cover on 20 year old cars is economically doubtful. Yet premiums continue to rise.

With the availability of good replacement parts at very modest cost, taken together with the relatively few accidents with the particular model, the rising cost of insurance is becoming equal to the settlement value in the event of a total loss! The parts alone are becoming more valuable than the car.

Take into account the upcoming changes to the sale of spare parts (elsewhere on here) it is becoming a good prospect for an owner's retention of a damaged car, with the appropriate insurance settlement, especially one that has been treasured and having a full car's worth of serviceable parts ready and waiting.

One area where 'overinsurance' is an unnecessary risk is the many add-ons to a policy. These are frequently used to inflate premiums and the claim numbers are so low as to be largely irrelevant. The term 'fully comp' really can mean unnecessarily over-insured.
Old 25th June 2021, 12:56   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Why do all (most?) insurers provide cover for EU, when I doubt that not a high proportion of vehicles ever leave the UK?

If you want overseas cover, surely it should be an option at your cost, not part paid by everyone?
Some of us in northern Ireland, it is a necessity and for the past two years I have been sent a green card (although it is white) automatically with my policy.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 13:42   #5
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post

Food for thought on the subject of insurance: what matters is not only the cost of repair to your own car in the event of an accident, but a question of legality in that matter. So long as the 3rd party risks are fully covered, the question of Comprehensive cover on 20 year old cars is economically doubtful. Yet premiums continue to rise.
Interestingly, when I asked for a third party fire and theft quotation it was higher in price than a fully comprehensive policy.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 14:57   #6
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Yes, well, it varies from company to company. A cynic might say 'Ah, that only goes to show they value the car as worthless and the driver as...' well..insert your own version! Or, of course, the insured owner perhaps does not value it in any way, so should we be worried?

I've just had a reminder that mine is up for renewal next month and is offered at £30 lower than last year. And I haven't punted about yet. I will though, using the quote as hard as I can.
Old 27th June 2021, 22:05   #7
Madderz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

They're all Rob dogs in my opinion.
When I took out my policy they informed me about the cost of charges for future amendments.....
Yeah, then there's a £25 + VAT admin charge for the admin charges

And I've still not received my documentation, paid in full in March
Madderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2021, 08:09   #8
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

We all grumble about the price we pay for insurance and hopefully we will never need it but if you do you will be glad you paid it.

A couple of years ago I had an accident in my van and it was my fault.

I have since seen the total claim value and it was just over £18k. The van costs me £400 a year to insure and because I have protected no claims my policy price has not gone up and oddly has actually reduced slightly last year.

There was no way I could have found £18k at the time but £400 though a lot of money is affordable.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote