Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th June 2021, 17:36   #1
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts
Default New £100 pre-authorisation fee at petrol stations.

Blimey! has anybody come across these new fees at Tesco & Sainsbury's Pay-at-pump petrol stations?

"The way we buy fuel at pay-at-pump petrol stations is changing - and it's leaving some motorists frustrated.
The small £1 charge that drivers used to pay, to have their debit or credit card approved by forecourt payment stations, is gradually being scrapped in favour of a £100 pre-authorisation check."
Some drivers are complaining "I couldn't work out why I was being charged so much! It's been 7 days and they have still held an extra £58 which I'm waiting to get back" said one driver on facebook, while another explained - "My husband put £30 in and they held £100, took two days for the proper amount to be deducted and the remaining money to be credited again."

https://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/amp/...p-fee-9204579/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2021, 17:57   #2
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

The root of the problem lies with those who use the system. Those pumps are, as far as I know, for the use of anyone who prefers not to pay a cashier at the desk. Use another pump. Crying out to be robbed.
Old 28th June 2021, 19:27   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
The root of the problem lies with those who use the system. Those pumps are, as far as I know, for the use of anyone who prefers not to pay a cashier at the desk.
Not necessarily, quite often pay at pump at a supermarket is the only option if you need fuel outside the normal petrol station opening hours.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2021, 19:29   #4
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I would only use Supermarket petrol as a last resort. I have heard so many people who have used and ended up regretting it, its just not worth the risk.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2021, 19:49   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I use a Maxol automated fuel station. You can choose to pay from £10, if I recall, up to £100. I always select £100, as the options end if I recall again, jump from £50 to £100, and I normally fill it up with between 50 and 65.

I wonder if you were to select a lower amount, it would only pre-authorise that amount. I think it would be unfair (and possibly illegal) to hold more than you actually agree to. it stops pumping at the selected value.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2021, 19:56   #6
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Not necessarily, quite often pay at pump at a supermarket is the only option if you need fuel outside the normal petrol station opening hours.
It’s not even after opening hours, my local Asda supermarket only operates a pay at pump system - there is no cashier.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2021, 20:20   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

They make interest on your money that they hold.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 09:57   #8
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

It isn't just petrol stations either from what I've been reading, Some public chargers charge you from £20 (ABB electric highways charger) to £67 (Ionity charger) pre-authorisation fees & if you plug the cable in & it doesn't do the "handshake" and connect your car to the charger you have to start over again with (in Ionity's case) another 67 quid in fee's and if you're not subscribed to their scheme which carries a monthly fee the cost is £0.69/kWh er no thanks I'll stick with home charging that costs about 30/- to charge up to 80%

If you're using your debit card & the funds are low you will unwittingly find your account in negative balance territory

I still haven't used a public charger yet despite having had my MGZS EV since January Charging at home is more than adequate for our driving needs.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 10:00   #9
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Multiply one user by the thousands of users in any one day (millions in a week?). The supermarket assets are hugely and falsely inflated by unsecured assets and in the current financial climate that has a material effect on share price/company valuation/ directors' pay and perks.

That affects your pension providers' strength (they are by far the largest investors in such businesses). We are all living on unsecured assets and magical suspect accounting.

If a market crash were to happen, and that is dangerously possible, how easy would it be to get Joe Public's money back! Why anyone would voluntarily take part in such a scam beats me. Oh, wait a minute....
Old 2nd July 2021, 10:41   #10
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Absolutely. Just like the number of manned check-outs, bank branches and such closing the petrol forecourt will change. With a fill-up over £50 then it makes sense for a larger overpayment. The problem is the banking system.

In Holland the transactions are near instantaneous and rarely over a couple of hours. The conservative UK banking system will take two days and not be embarresed over it. The point is that the forecourt association would prefer all pumps are "pay by card" with a ransom (free money) attached to the transaction. Ask Tesco for interest payment

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote