Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th June 2021, 21:29   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
agreed it is the consumers fault up to a point. this is a diminishing market as these cars disappear on a daily basis. even lemforder and trw now come under the same german umbrella company as i have just tried both brands from autodoc . the only difference is a hand punched stamp below the bottom bearing casting. oh and different coloured plastic pin protectors. im sure they are the same manufacturer by their packaging style even though they have a different name printed on the packaged bags.. they all come with the same health and safety instruction booklet thats stamped with a group company logo rsk (or similar name i cant remember) german manufacturing company. i for one would pay double price for my spares if they proved to be as good quality as the originals. its worth it to me.i am a daily driver in my 75.lots on this forum only come out a few times a year and spares of low quality are not an issue ... suits them fine due to low milage.... and good luck to them. this is the main reason you will not force a change in buying low cost rubbish. thats why im afraid it is what it is ..
Alas people can not be sure that by paying more they are getting a better product. Then you have, just for example, the £5 item that lasts 12 months and the £10 item lasting 20 months. May as well buy cheap and buy twice as you get more months per £

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 06:52   #12
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Alas people can not be sure that by paying more they are getting a better product. Then you have, just for example, the £5 item that lasts 12 months and the £10 item lasting 20 months. May as well buy cheap and buy twice as you get more months per £

macafee2
That is why I say buy the part with the longest warranty. Also it is not so much the cost of the part it is the time to replace them.

I did see somewhere that a company was advertising a 2 year warranty with there arms, I must see if I can find that again.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2021, 20:20   #13
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

i for one dont relish revisiting the same job time after time after time.of course working outside with no driveway does not enhance the attraction. i dont think that this problem of quality spares is just limited to mg rover. mercedes owners i have read have similar problems with wishbones/lower arms not lasting. these cars were expensive when new as was the rover . when the orders were given for production of these spares originally i bet that they were made of superior product quality materials etc . the numbers involved must have been huge when first hit production lines. so may be a less profit per unit but volumes alone made the difference. dont think the good old days will ever return as far as spares quality are concerned .. but at least we have mat at dmgrs and of course rimmers. without these where would we be ..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2021, 20:49   #14
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I have done all the ball joints on the front arms now, I managed to do them on the car with some very short drill bits and a right angled adapter.

Interestingly as I pumped the grease in the ball joints moved. The boots are full of grease.

It will be interesting to see if this prolongs the life of the arms.

SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2021, 06:38   #15
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Nicely done, hopefully this will prevent having to change the arms every 12-18 months!