Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th June 2021, 09:12   #21
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
As regards the two and a half years business some people as I used too, might shove 35,000 miles a year on a tyre and I've managed less than 3,000 a year due to the pandemic circumstances. The car isn't parked in the Sahara Desert or ice bound Alaska.
Tyres do become damaged due to weather conditions though. UV is a killer of silicon and/or rubber. If the car is garaged then it will be less of an issue but if parked outside, next to a solar farm, then the likelihood of damage increases.

Avons or Continentals only do 6k max (on the rear) for me.

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 30th June 2021 at 09:12.. Reason: spurrious word
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 09:28   #22
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Wife's Corsa was purchased by me brand new in September 2005 and supplied with Continentals.
Thirteen years later in December 2018 we sold the car with all of the same tyres still fitted having covered around 45 thousand miles and just passed an MOT.
All tyres were around 3mm and no cracking whatsoever.
Car was always garaged, so very little sun, and tyres rotated to even out the wear.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2021, 08:00   #23
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Returning to a topic that has been raised here before.

Knocking any hint of budget tyres into the long grass, two and a half years ago I put two Goodyear Asymmetric Eagle 5 tyres on the front of my 75.

Due to massively reduced mileage due to the pandemic I had done less than 6,000 miles on the new tyres during that time and was rather horrified to see quite significant cracks round the whole diameter of the outside tread of both tyres plus substantial cracking all around the little cut out bits at the extreme edge of the tyre pattern on one of them.

Chuck into the mix that despite having had a 4 wheel alignment done about the time of the tyre change the outside tread is down to 4.6mm and central treads to about 5mm after such a short milage and its fair to say that I'm less than impressed with Goodyear tyres.

For the first time in my motoring life of over 40 years I rang up the tyre company just to express how disgusted I was with the quality of their tyres.

I was passed through to a nice enough chap in their customer service dept who said ' Don't worry sir you've got a 5 year guarantee on our tyres send me some photos' ( Don't know If I have successfully managed to upload the pictures on here sorry)

To be honest I hadn't known that and had only rung up to let the company know what I thought of their product.

But the stinger is as has been discussed on here before any guarantee refund is based on the wear of the tyre which as I have pointed out its not my fault that I'm also not happy with the wear rate of the tyres also which would reflect in any refund offer.
Tyres are generally around 7mm from new and being down to 5mm after 6,000 miles I’d say is acceptable. The difference between the 5mm and 4.6mm on the edge in my opinion is acceptable at .4mm as tyres very rarely wear evenly even if the alignment is perfect. I see low mileage tyres cracking daily and as long as the cords are not showing it’s not an mot failure, unfortunately you will see this with most brands, tyres aren’t made to last they are made to be quiet and fuel efficient. The warranty is the same with all tyre manufacturers, they won’t reimburse for the tread you have used they will reimburse for the unused tread.
I work with a brand that has one particular model with 19” wheels on and they can scrub the edges off at around 6,000 miles, they look brilliant but you have to replace the tyres constantly. I always dislike those conversations with the owners when their car is 8 months old and needing tyres.......

If you replace the tyres and it’s proved to be a defect the amount you get back probably won’t cover your new tyres and looking at the photo T-Cut posted I’m not so sure it would be classed as a defect. I’d probably just run them until the need replacing and chose another tyre then.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 1st July 2021 at 08:07.. Reason: Spelling
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote