Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th July 2021, 10:42   #31
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Was I watching football last night or a game of ruby?

Chiellini pulling down Saka by the neck of his t-shirt should have been a red card, and then there was the Jorginho and Grealish foul??? Shameful.

Also, Southgate should have never brought on Rashford and Sancho in that very last minute, that was a stupid decision which most probably cost us the game.

Last edited by Dallas; 12th July 2021 at 21:08..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2021, 11:11   #32
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Also, Southgate should have never brought on Rashford and Sancho in that very last minute, that was a stupid decision which most probably cost us the game.
I couldn't agree more.Ridiculous

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2021, 12:30   #33
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I watched it, from the start right up to the beginning of the penalties. What an almighty stupid thing to use to decide who won a drawn game.

The first goal was a lucky break and either team could have been as lucky given hardly anybody after the start whistle had actually broken into a run. The rest of it was mostly pedestrian and lobbing with some atrocious fouling by one side. What price the screen referee now?

The other side (either) failed to make headway because they were, on the day, inferior in play to their opponents. It was a draw, mainly because both teams were roughly and equally lacking in overcoming the resistance. What with 90 minutes, followed by add-on minutes, then extra-time, followed by penalties, how much more do we need to conclude there wasn’t much to choose between either team?

The online rubbish of hatred was at best stupid and highlights the appalling ascension of troglodytes into prominence by commercial abuse of the internet.
Old 12th July 2021, 12:41   #34
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

They should never have given the task of taking a penalty to a 19 year old, far to much pressure.

England were the better team in the first half and second half of extra time and so it was an even match.

I would like to have seen the commentators reaction to Englands goal.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2021, 19:54   #35
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
They should never have given the task of taking a penalty to a 19 year old, far to much pressure.

Particularly one who had only recently been brought on.I thought the penalties were badly managed and cost us the match.The responsibility for that sits firmly with Southgate.Whether we like them or not pen's are the chosen way of bringing a game to a conlusion if it cannot be decided in open play in normal and extra time.It's fine lines that decide a game as close as this and Southgate got his choice of penalty takers very very wrong in my opinion.

Old 12th July 2021, 21:08   #36
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

I agree that it didn't seem to make sense bringing on the 2 subs in the last 2 minutes of extra time, however hindsight helps this decision.

Would it have still been a terrible decision if they had scored and we'd won?

In my opinion Gareth has done a superb job, along with the team getting to the semi finals. Faultless? Of course not. We are human after all.

As for the racial abuse, these retards need to be publicly humiliated in the stocks. We shouldn't waste any more than a few minutes and some rotten food on the wasters.

Last edited by Typhoon190; 12th July 2021 at 21:10..
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2021, 22:16   #37
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
I agree that it didn't seem to make sense bringing on the 2 subs in the last 2 minutes of extra time, however hindsight helps this decision.
Would it have still been a terrible decision if they had scored and we'd won?
Hi

I believe his main intention in bringing them on was to be eligible to take a penalty. Which proved to be disastrous as they both missed along with Saka who had only been on a little longer.It was asking too much to instantly adjust to the intensity of the situation from the bench.I agree with your sentiments about the job Southgate has done generally,however I think he got the penalty situation badly wrong.

Old 13th July 2021, 09:32   #38
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

It was booring and yobbish football, dangerous fouls supreme. The racist twitteratti and booing and fighting? well the BLM have certainly won that "game" their prime but unspoken aim being to promote race hatred. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2021, 11:24   #39
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Particularly one who had only recently been brought on.I thought the penalties were badly managed and cost us the match.The responsibility for that sits firmly with Southgate.Whether we like them or not pen's are the chosen way of bringing a game to a conlusion if it cannot be decided in open play in normal and extra time.It's fine lines that decide a game as close as this and Southgate got his choice of penalty takers very very wrong in my opinion.
Well an earlier posting suggests England had all of the first half! I only believe they had the upper hand (no, not the hand of god) for the first twenty minutes. Mancini changed formation and then personnel. Even the commentators at pitch-side said England looked as if they were relieved to see 1/2 time.

I would have used substitutions from about 10/15 mins to go of the 90 and/or use them last 15 mins of extra time - and go for a second goal. One is never enough against Italy and Southgate should have known and realised it. The subs coming on for the last two minutes is just stupidity. They cannot have enough time to get warmed up (into the game) and certainly will not have their eye in (for penalties).

As is often said, it is a learning curve but England teams need to press more for the goals in normal time. This obviates the need to go to penalties which is more of a lottery.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2021, 12:17   #40
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Well an earlier posting suggests England had all of the first half! I only believe they had the upper hand (no, not the hand of god) for the first twenty minutes. Mancini changed formation and then personnel. Even the commentators at pitch-side said England looked as if they were relieved to see 1/2 time.

I would have used substitutions from about 10/15 mins to go of the 90 and/or use them last 15 mins of extra time - and go for a second goal. One is never enough against Italy and Southgate should have known and realised it. The subs coming on for the last two minutes is just stupidity. They cannot have enough time to get warmed up (into the game) and certainly will not have their eye in (for penalties).

As is often said, it is a learning curve but England teams need to press more for the goals in normal time. This obviates the need to go to penalties which is more of a lottery.

Kev
I agree with all of that apart from pen's being a lottery,they need managing properly like the rest of the match.England certainly were under sustained pressure for the second half so I would have brought Grelish on to give us an outlet,and let him run at them.For some unknown reason (to me) the manager doesn't seem to fancy him though