Notices

Old 15th July 2021, 19:19   #21
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I take your point Alan and admire your magnanimity. I have no personal experience of NI reality other than the horror from the English press down the years. However, in the broadest sense, I equate the rabid sectarianism with subjects such as racism and most of the other 'isms'. It seems no matter what is offered, other than complete capitulation, it will never be enough. A tragedy whatever the outcome.
Please dismiss all you have read and seen in the press over the years. Regardless of what you saw, it really was not a warzone. There were some dodgy areas (and still are), but these generally were/are small. And these reports you saw, if you think of it, would have been few and far between (consider how often you heard of NI, and then consider what you heard/read). Even in traditionally republican towns and villages (which are picturesque and very worthy of visit), visiting and driving with an english car (this is not an issue any longer) you would be welcomed as a visitor with the hospitality and warmth you will have no doubt read of about ROI.

It is my experience over the years, that traditionally loyalist (read as 'english friendly') areas would be less welcoming, being viewed with suspicion as a stranger.

But over the past 30 years, all this has subsided, the majority of the population, simply cannot be bothered with the troubles, wanting no part of it and are now no longer afraid to say so if required.

I can tell you, having said it before, I have felt less comfortable in daytime, in parts of Liverpool and Manchester than at 2am on the Falls Road in Belfast (serious Republican area).

Nowadays, the cause of the troubles, are a smokescreen for illegal activities, in particular drugs - which lets face it, is a bigger problem on the mainland than it is here (although it is growing).

Embrace artery blocking breakfasts, bowel blocking alcohol, pride and tours of a now defunct blockbusting TV show and tragic liner, one of the best driving roads in at least the country (possibly the world), you will have a ball.

And I guarantee you wont see an illegally held firearm, or bomb going off.

Sectarianism is visible in places, but in conversation it is rare, and best avoided by an outsider so to speak. Although most locals will use it as a base for black humour, as 'we' know it matters none to real life.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 15th July 2021 at 19:23..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2021, 19:21   #22
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Sorry, but I'm now confused by both your posts.----:shrug

And' as I said in the earlier post, what is itteration please ??
If GM was german (as I assume was erroneously written in the linked article - I didnt read it), by the same comparison/inference, Sherman was also German.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote