Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th July 2021, 12:24   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Disgusted with work carried out!

I found a local place which said they could rust treat the underside of my car, said they could do it all for around £450 so I took it round and discussed them doing a partial job, as my main concern was the rear arms and odd bits here and there that I really wanted doing - the rest was as new, treated at the factory. Whilst there could they replace the final sections of brake pipes front and rear. With absolutely not rush to do it and no urgency within limits to return it. They wanted do do it in warm weather, when the treatment works best.

They chose a time to take the car, when I had just been in hospital for surgery on my back and I was unable to drive, so I asked that collect the car and return it which they did a week ago. They are a couple of miles down the road.

I am only just able to take a look at the work and I am disgusted - they charged me £430. I had already been quoted £160-ish over the phone for a through end to end steam clean and then waxoyling, but that was the far side of Leeds and the more local company claimed there substance was much better than Waxoyl and what the 4x4 guys insist upon.

They only did the rear pipework, but all the way to the existing joints under the floor - fuel tank dropped down, to fit as original, though I did agree they needn't run the pipes as original. What I could see of it, looked fine.

However the rust prevention work was a complete waste of money, they cleared off any loose then just sprayed the black stuff on, made the surface of the underside at the rear look pretty, never even took the rear wheels off to do it, obvious from the overspray onto the backs of the wheels. covered the underside of the rear arms, absolutely none inside the easily accessible cavities of the arms and the top of the arms are untouched - this after stressing the arms were my main concern for rust. The black could be anything, it's just a matt black look to it.

I managed the photos, by copy, paste from My Images...

These are the upper sides of the rear arms, which I had asked them to pay special attention to with the rust treatment. None at all on them, but the easy undersides look pretty.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 28th July 2021 at 19:06..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2021, 13:03   #2
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

That's dreadful.

I hope you get a good amount of refund in compensation.

Small businesses are my usual go to as, in general, they seem to do a better job and care more about the customers they have.

Sounds like this one doesn't .

Good luck with getting it sorted.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2021, 13:34   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
That's dreadful.

I hope you get a good amount of refund in compensation.

Small businesses are my usual go to as, in general, they seem to do a better job and care more about the customers they have.

Sounds like this one doesn't .

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Thanks, how can I post photos, I have tried copy and paste, plus putting them in the image gallery too - when I try to edit them into the post, I just get a warning that my post is too large.

I just wanted to show photos of what they hadn't done.

They had said they wanted to tackle it when their hoist was free to do it properly. In fact the took the car with my car cam running, which shows them reversing it into a shed and onto DIY ramps, with the spray cans clearly in view, sat there on a bench, ready to use. The cam goes off, when they stop the engine, so it does show them doing the job, but its a fair assumption that they sprayed the 'treatment' just on DIY ramps.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 28th July 2021, 13:43   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

On your pc/laptop have you a program call PAINT?

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2021, 13:47   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
On your pc/laptop have you a program call PAINT?

macafee2

Yes, but I have tried reducing the three images down to 180K each and only adding one to the post -same result.

"The text that you have entered is too long (190942 characters). Please shorten it to 40000 characters long."

Old 28th July 2021, 14:41   #6
Norman2CV
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon. Pre Production.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, there is a product called Dynax Wax available in giant aerosol cans which are ideal for the inside of the back arms and no need to pay someone else to do it.
I restore classic cars for a living and use lots of the stuff. The cans come with a nozzle and an injection lance and once applied to dry metal or surface rust it stays sticky for many years and protects the metal.
Check out the supplier 'Bilt Hamber' online.
Norman2CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2021, 15:12   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman2CV View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles, there is a product called Dynax Wax available in giant aerosol cans which are ideal for the inside of the back arms and no need to pay someone else to do it.
I restore classic cars for a living and use lots of the stuff. The cans come with a nozzle and an injection lance and once applied to dry metal or surface rust it stays sticky for many years and protects the metal.
Check out the supplier 'Bilt Hamber' online.

I'm just getting too old for scambling about under cars, which was why I paid a company to do it. It's really the first time that I have not been able to do work on my own cars and this happens.

Old 28th July 2021, 16:00   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Yes, but I have tried reducing the three images down to 180K each and only adding one to the post -same result.

"The text that you have entered is too long (190942 characters). Please shorten it to 40000 characters long."
I'm lost.
Normally I would open Paint, open the photo, select resize and change the 100 for Horizontal and vertical percentage to 25 and save the picture. Make sure the box Maintain Aspect Ratio is ticked. That normally works for me

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2021, 16:52   #9
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Sadly I have heard of other bad rustproofing jobs like this, these companies think they can blow some thing under a car that looks good at a first glance and its not until it is looked at closely you realise they have done a rubbish job.

A customer with a very valuable classic car had it ''professionally rustproofed'' at an outfit not far from me, a look at the job a few weeks later while I was replacing the rear discs made me realise that they could not be trusted with anything I valued, they had sprayed the ''black stuff'' over dirt, rust and loose underseal. I could remove some of it with my fingers.

He has since been back and they have offered to do it again but without removing what they have already done I cant see how it will improve the job.

I will second the Bilt Hammer products, 4 or 5 cans is enough to do most cars including box sections , cavities and the underside.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2021, 19:39   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

I got it up in the air again, for another, better look at the work this afternoon, on a jack, and to check whether they had actually removed the fuel tank to run the pipes as they said they had done. They had and that part looks like quite a decent job. I also noticed they had obviously managed to put a series of scrapes down the underside, down to bare metal, alongside the sill and obviously after the they had applied the rustproofing. They hadn't even tried to hide it, just left it bare metal to rust

Note the white spots, are on the mirror I used to see the underside.

I don't know the name for this other cast arm, which pivots near the sill, but that looks fine from below. The red colour, which fixes the bracket, is the first coat of the rust proofing substance showing, where they missed it with the 'black stuff' top coat. I failed to get the name of the actual treatment, but it comes in a spray can - anyone know what it might be - red followed by black?

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 28th July 2021 at 20:04..