Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th January 2018, 01:01   #7701
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Hi,yesterday fitted replacement brake light switch to replace burnt out one,one from Rimmers,brake lights constantly on,so tried a spare loaned by Dan from Banbury but lights still staying on,thought when switch had combusted maybe a part of the loom was burnt out.Stripped out car looking for shorts but found nothing.Checked my self installed tow bar and even disconnected it,still on.Looked at previous posts where someone suggested fuse 7.Bingo,fuse 7 behind glovebox burnt.Replaced now brake lights normal.According to manual fuse 7 is light switch control unit.No mention of brakes.Why did all the other lights function ok?As drivers seat out decided to bleed new fluid through the clutch.Then decided to look at my handbrake compensator.Then it started raining and got dark so packed up.Regatds Ry....
ryszard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 05:00   #7702
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
Hi,yesterday fitted replacement brake light switch to replace burnt out one,one from Rimmers,brake lights constantly on,so tried a spare loaned by Dan from Banbury but lights still staying on,thought when switch had combusted maybe a part of the loom was burnt out.Stripped out car looking for shorts but found nothing.Checked my self installed tow bar and even disconnected it,still on.Looked at previous posts where someone suggested fuse 7.Bingo,fuse 7 behind glovebox burnt.Replaced now brake lights normal.According to manual fuse 7 is light switch control unit.No mention of brakes.Why did all the other lights function ok?As drivers seat out decided to bleed new fluid through the clutch.Then decided to look at my handbrake compensator.Then it started raining and got dark so packed up.Regatds Ry....
And if your car had been a facelift it would have been fuse 13

Don't worry about it, the first time I experienced this was on a rescue 75, that had been mauled wiring wise........just ask Trikey how long it took us to sort it out

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 16:51   #7703
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Continued to strip the KV6 engine to fix water leak from thermostat, new cam belts, power steering leak, brake pipe to OSF, bottom engine mount etc.

Ran into a few problems, see the 'my KV6 cambelt change' thread.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 22:00   #7704
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Default Not 75 or zt t series build

Making life hard for myself on the T/M 16 build - skimmed a few though too many off the block and made myself nervous of the pistons kissing the head. So the pistons are being topped on either side by 10 thou.
Also not happy with the new old stock t series crank - it's a tad stiff in its new bearings, so it'll have to come out to check for straightness and clearances. If it's straight I may resort to used bearings in the block to see if this helps, otherwise It will take hours to tape and repolish any oversize journalls...
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 14:06   #7705
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Replaced the rear light seals.... and blimey did they need replacing! TBH, what a rubbish design!

A good hosepipe test.... and no more running water inside the boot. Result! 😆

Blobs of silicone also added to the chrome trim clips inside the boot, treated the rear winsdcreen seal with some Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack fluid, neither needed but just for peace of mind.

And the rain held off.... a pleasing day all round!
Happy Roving all
John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2018, 15:25   #7706
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Gave the old bus a bit of a wash and polish seeing as the weather was nice for once

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2018, 22:21   #7707
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
Making life hard for myself on the T/M 16 build - skimmed a few though too many off the block and made myself nervous of the pistons kissing the head. So the pistons are being topped on either side by 10 thou.
Also not happy with the new old stock t series crank - it's a tad stiff in its new bearings, so it'll have to come out to check for straightness and clearances. If it's straight I may resort to used bearings in the block to see if this helps, otherwise It will take hours to tape and repolish any oversize journalls...
Stripped it all, found the cause of the problem - rover had cocked up machining the slot for the tag on one of the lower thrusts, meaning it wasn't seating properly, and in fact never had.
Started the rebuild...
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2018, 23:12   #7708
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Hi,after fixing my brake light saga decided while the seat was out to check the handbrake compensator as constantly adjusting the brakes at the back.Compensator was stretched so made a temp mod on it,refitted it,even after several attempts to adjust the brakes the handbrake would still not tighten so decided to strip the rear brakes out.Noticed the rear brake shield was very rusty,so decided to change it,taking the caliper off discovered the brake pad had separated from the disc pad holder.New pads ordered.Rear backplate removed,had fun cutting the handbrake ferrel off.Now found did not have a 7mm key to seperate the caliper so spent an hour filing a 9mm key to fit.Dark by the time I had separated and got the pads out.Then discovered a I had a torx socket that would have fitted!Hope to reassemble Sunday then all I got to do is the other side!Regards Ry...
ryszard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 13:24   #7709
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Got my tin of touch up paint out and a paint brush and painted the areas of seam sealer where it looks like some in the past has used aggressive cleaning solution and taken all the paint of it in places.

Left big patches of white/grey seam sealer visible when the bonnet was open, now looks a lot better. Might need another coat to make sure it's all covered.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2018, 15:05   #7710
oxfordblue75
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon 1.8T

Fitted the long battery clamp bolt to the 1.8t and new union jack badges and new wheel centre cap badges to the v6 care of Jezzer
oxfordblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote