Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th September 2017, 21:35   #1
Malc.
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Royal Blue.

Default Breakdown Cover?

Do you have it? It's been included in our Comprehensive insurance policy (Ageas), for the past few years, however I've just had my renewal notice and this time it's offered as an 'extra' at £70. ( R.A.C.).
I paid £285 last year,Comp (incl b/down cover.) This year it's just under £235 (excl b/down cover.)
Looking on-line I can get cover for around £34 with a company I've never heard of before, offering similar cover to the previous Companies ( R.A.C./ Green Flag etc) but about half the price......
I've never needed to make a claim in the past, but it would be 'S**s Law', that I would have a problem next month travelling down to Devon, if I decided not to have it.

Last edited by Malc.; 5th September 2017 at 21:37..
Malc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 07:36   #2
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I always think 'nothing is for nothing' you pays yer money etc. Personally, I use AA one year and RAC the next, or whoever has the best online deal for 'new customers'. I think RAC are getting wise to this because the renewal this year was a little lower than the online deal. Green Flag may be fine for some but I had a bad experience, broke down and guy just asked where I needed towing to. They didn't ask any questions, never lifted the bonnet.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 11:14   #3
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

I do the same as Heddy though, when I broke down on the M25 at 3pm I got home at 3 am next morning, the RAC relayed me to several service stations and almost all sub contractors..currently paying £15 a month for both cars.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 11:26   #4
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Most of these firms will always put it up each year come renewal time. However, most of these firms will LOWER it when you call them and speak to them about it. That's always been the case in my experience whether it be breakdown cover or car/home insurance. It's the same story each time. Annoying but needs some if you want to save some money.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 12:55   #5
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
Most of these firms will always put it up each year come renewal time. However, most of these firms will LOWER it when you call them and speak to them about it. That's always been the case in my experience whether it be breakdown cover or car/home insurance. It's the same story each time. Annoying but needs some if you want to save some money.
Almost with out exception these companies are only good as the day you need them and the service they provide to you on that day. No one is better than other buy cheapest for most cover.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 13:06   #6
RoverSevenFive

Rover 75 Saloon

I've used AutoAid for years and had good experiences when calling on them three times for car or motorbike. The difference is you pay the firm that 'rescues' you and claim it back from AutoAid.
RoverSevenFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 16:02   #7
Malc.
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Royal Blue.

Hi
I've looked at a Company called Q-DOS One Call.
They have quoted £35.99. for similar cover to exsisting cover with R.A.C. However they don't state whether I need to pay for rescue, then claim it back?
Many thanks for your opinions at this stage.
Malc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 16:15   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc. View Post
Do you have it? It's been included in our Comprehensive insurance policy (Ageas), for the past few years, however I've just had my renewal notice and this time it's offered as an 'extra' at £70. ( R.A.C.).
There are much cheaper and better than the well known ones. I am with Breakdown Assist, which is basically QDOS, but much cheaper. I would not want to go anywhere without cover, especially towing a caravan. I have a voluntary excess of £35 with BA and it has cost me £31.05 for the year.

You can get maybe cheaper, if you are willing to pay the bill, then recover the cost from the company.

There are not many jobs I would not tackle on my car, but far from home, maybe stuck on a motorway and without many tools I would need help and quickly, so I have cover.

As always, read the policies to find what cover is enough cover for your needs.

I did break down last year, my TAZU MC had its piston seal split. Caravan on site 30 miles away, out in the country. I had help within the hour.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 20:02   #9
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverSevenFive View Post
I've used AutoAid for years and had good experiences when calling on them three times for car or motorbike. The difference is you pay the firm that 'rescues' you and claim it back from AutoAid.
Hi Roverseventyfive - I too am with Autoaid and have been for many years.

Just renewed mine (£41) and was pleased to see they have changed their system now and you do not have to pay the breakdown company and claim it back - they pay the company directly so all you need to do is call the breakdown number and they do everything else!
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 20:19   #10
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

I have Total Super service cover with AutoNational Rescue which gives you a no claims discount each year for no call outs. Paid £66 per year for many years and now covered my other car at a 50% discount. Think the price has gone up to about £75 after premium tax was added but still good value IMHO. Called them out twice in recent years - once for recovery after lost keys and once for engine failure. Well happy with service they turned up both times within 45 mins and got me home with minimal hassle

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote