Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th November 2020, 12:30   #1
Steve Driffield

Default Synergy 2 “Ronbox” tuning box

Hi there, one month into Rover 75 ownership, wish I’d got one years ago!
Just wondering if anyone in 75/ZT land has had any experience with this product. On YouTube a chap in Scotland had fitted one to a 255k miles tourer and was impressed with the results, (low speed uphill pick up etc)
I have just ordered an EGR Bypass kit, for that same reason, better low speed pull and drivability. Anyone out there who has any experience, opinions on this will be most appreciated.
Thank you, Regards Steve
Old 20th November 2020, 12:37   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

A far better option is to pop across and see big russ for a 160 remap, the remap doesn’t cheat the fuelling like the box does.

Big russ is just outside of Bradford and will give your car a full health check while plugged in to T4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20th November 2020, 12:50   #3
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Yep I second that give BigRuss a call
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2020, 17:42   #4
CivilSteve
Avid contributor

MG ZT

The tuning box can be fine for a bit of a pick up on a healthy car but your dash MPG display will no longer be correctly calibrated. And with the high pressure pumps not getting any younger some people are finding they start leaking with the higher pressure the box runs them at.

Depending on which one you get you might find it's still a bit flat if the MAF sensor is under reading and pulling the fuel back out (see snapshot)

CivilSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2020, 18:38   #5
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Those figures look a bit far fetched to me, how can a 135 car with a tuning box generate only 120 bhp?

A bit of creative accounting to plug your business perhaps?

Alf
Alf Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2020, 19:14   #6
Steve Driffield

Default Synergy 2 Ronbox

Thank you for that guys, I will look up Big Russ. A respectable remapper in Hull
(A1) wouldn’t do a remap, they thought my car too old, which is what made me interested in the tuning box alternative.
Will follow up with Big Russ
Thank you for your responses
Old 20th November 2020, 23:09   #7
CivilSteve
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Best View Post
Those figures look a bit far fetched to me, how can a 135 car with a tuning box generate only 120 bhp?

A bit of creative accounting to plug your business perhaps?

Alf
I'll assume you didn't read my post...

The tuning box will feel flat with a under reading MAF sensor which pulls the fuel back out.

If I was to be 'creative' I'd like to think I'd be a bit smarter than to make a car read under and show a dyno plot for a mapped car at 145...
CivilSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2020, 16:16   #8
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilSteve View Post
I'll assume you didn't read my post...

The tuning box will feel flat with a under reading MAF sensor which pulls the fuel back out.

If I was to be 'creative' I'd like to think I'd be a bit smarter than to make a car read under and show a dyno plot for a mapped car at 145...

My impression was from the chap who ran diagnostics on my car was quite simple, the MAF read well below what it should have done because the EGR valve was sticking open and when that was resolved the car ran much better.

I had thought the MAF sensor was faulty and had unplugged it, however I was told the EGR was also disabled by unplugging the MAF, and was advised against MAFless mapping which use the MAP sensor as a reference after I enquired.

The fact of the matter for me, 135 is more than enough, the improved pickup of the car was so marked after cleaning out the EGR and inlet manifold as to not worry about becoming one of the boy racer brigade belching black smoke out from the exhaust.

Alf
Old 22nd November 2020, 12:42   #9
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Best View Post
My impression was from the chap who ran diagnostics on my car was quite simple, the MAF read well below what it should have done because the EGR valve was sticking open and when that was resolved the car ran much better.

I had thought the MAF sensor was faulty and had unplugged it, however I was told the EGR was also disabled by unplugging the MAF, and was advised against MAFless mapping which use the MAP sensor as a reference after I enquired.

The fact of the matter for me, 135 is more than enough, the improved pickup of the car was so marked after cleaning out the EGR and inlet manifold as to not worry about becoming one of the boy racer brigade belching black smoke out from the exhaust.

Alf
the 135 is 129bhp from factory. You need to take a spin in a car with a custom remap. You will know if the MAF is knackered as you will have nothing below 2k and all of a sudden it will pick up and go.

If a car smokes after a remap, it has either been requested to be smokey (some people enjoy rolling coal), or you have an issue with boost and getting the air in, a car with a spotless manifold, egr and intercooler can produce 155~ bhp with no smoke. You can get a bit more torque with smoke but I'm personally a fan of no smoke.

Drop sewerman a PM and he can tell you the difference, he went from a factory map to the "160" map to a custom mafless map. He has no smoke at all on both of his cars.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2020, 18:30   #10
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
the 135 is 129bhp from factory. You need to take a spin in a car with a custom remap. You will know if the MAF is knackered as you will have nothing below 2k and all of a sudden it will pick up and go.

If a car smokes after a remap, it has either been requested to be smokey (some people enjoy rolling coal), or you have an issue with boost and getting the air in, a car with a spotless manifold, egr and intercooler can produce 155~ bhp with no smoke. You can get a bit more torque with smoke but I'm personally a fan of no smoke.

Drop sewerman a PM and he can tell you the difference, he went from a factory map to the "160" map to a custom mafless map. He has no smoke at all on both of his cars.

The symptoms you describe of a knackered MAF were exactly what I was experiencing, leading me to unplug the MAF.

When the John at MGR MOT and auto services ran the diagnostic on the car, it was found to be the EGR valve not closing, and after cleaning that and the inlet manifold, the flat spot completely disappeared.

John explained that unplugging the MAF also disables the EGR, so it isn't a good test to see if the MAF is failing, which when tested was in fact perfect.

The intercooler pipes are fairly recent along with a set of viton O rings, and the boost is healthy with no losses.

He has been working on MG Rover cars for over 30 years, and I respect both his knowledge and advice.

I've no need for a remap, I'm very happy with what I have at present it's more than fast enough for me.

Alf