Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th June 2021, 21:31   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Shocking Thors cave near Heartingdon

Thors cave near Heartingdon in the Peak District.
Time goes so quickly I cannot really give a time scale, I dont think as long as 14 years but it is possible, I'd like to say around 6.

Some years ago, 6 may be, my wife and I visited Thors Cave near Heartingdon. We scrambled up the outside of the cave on all 4's. The outside bank/hill what ever was all grass.

Today we visited again and it was shocking to be able to see from "1/2 a mile away" the tracks people had made climbing up the outside. The grass is worn away and the soil exposed. So many people have been up the outside "steps" have formed in the soil and we were able to walk up and down no problem.

I have never seen such a change due to damage and compared to previous visits, so many people. Erosion will now follow as thee is nothing to hold the soil in place.

No one person is at fault, it is so many people in such a short time that the grass could not handle the foot traffic that has done the damage.
Shocking.

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 9th June 2021 at 07:51..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 06:30   #2
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

It is a shame that due to popularity, a pleasant place can deteriorate. Snowdon has actually lost height due to erosion. However, the fact that something is very popular should not mean that those who might come later be denied the chance to visit.

The progression of mankind has destroyed many fantastic places, but we do depend on common sense of others to preserve those places. For me, it is the damage caused by the use of those leisure items such as cycles and motorcycles that infuriates me. The disruption to the tranquility of those places annoys me, but there I go, wanting restrictions placed on others.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 07:07   #3
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

The creation of the Scottish NC500 has broken it for me. With more types of tourist gimmicks like this to come it completely changes what we had. Won’t be long before they are ripping up the country roads and fitting electric car chargers, just so the Tarquin can drive the whole length of the country in one day and get a Starbucks or shop at Tesco’s no matter where he is. Be careful what you wish for.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2021, 15:37   #4
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
The creation of the Scottish NC500 has broken it for me. With more types of tourist gimmicks like this to come it completely changes what we had. Won’t be long before they are ripping up the country roads and fitting electric car chargers, just so the Tarquin can drive the whole length of the country in one day and get a Starbucks or shop at Tesco’s no matter where he is. Be careful what you wish for.
You know that is a splendid idea regarding constant charging of vehicles. With that we would not need individual charging points which will be in their millions in a few years time (more street furniture).

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote