Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd July 2021, 19:06   #1
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Default tow bar wiring

Hi all can anyone tell me if it's ok to wire the tow bar wiring straight onto the loom in the boot of a tourer without going through the relay box that generally comes with the two bar thanks in advance
geo.k23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2021, 21:41   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Are you wiring for a caravan or just a trailer and only need road lights?
In the UK we need to know if the trailer indicators are working and the normal relay gives an audible sound.

Why do you not want to use a relay?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2021, 04:44   #3
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Are you wiring for a caravan or just a trailer and only need road lights?
In the UK we need to know if the trailer indicators are working and the normal relay gives an audible sound.

Why do you not want to use a relay?

macafee2
i fitted the tow bar myself but didn't want to attempt the electrics so i got a friend to do it and left him to it when i got back he had wired the tow bar but the relay was just lying in the wheel well i would have prefered it had been fitted is there much involved in fitting it
Old 3rd July 2021, 07:14   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo.k23 View Post
i fitted the tow bar myself but didn't want to attempt the electrics so i got a friend to do it and left him to it when i got back he had wired the tow bar but the relay was just lying in the wheel well i would have prefered it had been fitted is there much involved in fitting it
No not really. You should run a power cable from the front as only minimal power is taken from the harness. This small amount of power is detected by the relay and it uses power from your new power cable to provide power to the road lights. I am not sure where my handbooks are as I am in the process of moving house otherwise I would tell you which fuses on a Face Lift fuse box I used

Not knowing which relay you have but a TEB7AS is quite common, this link shows how to wire it
https://www.towbarandtrailercentre.com/wiring-diagrams

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2021, 07:57   #5
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
No not really. You should run a power cable from the front as only minimal power is taken from the harness. This small amount of power is detected by the relay and it uses power from your new power cable to provide power to the road lights. I am not sure where my handbooks are as I am in the process of moving house otherwise I would tell you which fuses on a Face Lift fuse box I used

Not knowing which relay you have but a TEB7AS is quite common, this link shows how to wire it
https://www.towbarandtrailercentre.com/wiring-diagrams

macafee2
thanks for your help macafee2 the the tow bar i have fitted i got on ebay it'a from a rover 75 and the relay is a PCT LOGICON ZR2500 it looks like the one in your post narrower and longer but all the wiring looks identical i may have a go at fitting it as i said i would have prefered it albeit it is just a little trailer i have but you never know when something else would be getting towed your input is very much appreciated George

Last edited by geo.k23; 3rd July 2021 at 07:59..
Old 3rd July 2021, 21:34   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo.k23 View Post
Thanks for your help macafee2. The tow bar I have fitted looks like the one in your post, narrower and longer but all the wiring looks identical. I may have a go at fitting it as I said I would have preferred it albeit it is just a little trailer I have but you never know when something else would be getting towed. Your input is very much appreciated George
When I fitted mine I ran a power supply direct from the battery through an in-line fuse.

It is very, very easy to run the power cable under the car and not try to mess about trying to get it through the car somehow. This way the job will take only a tenth of the time. Up through the boot floor and into the relay.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote