Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st February 2021, 22:02   #1
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Default Mercedes E46 AMG

Watching classic Top Gear today from 2009 and the boys tested the new (in 2009) Chevy Camaro (£40,000) and the Mercedes E63 AMG (£76,000).

The Mercedes was just awesome in Jeremy Clarksons and stigs hands and had just about every electronic toy imaginable.

Was so impressed immediately looked on autotrader at secondhand prices and was shocked !!!!!!

You can get newer than the TG 09 test car at 76k for 15k to 20k, and they are clean low mileage examples.

These E63 look great fun for very little money compared to their new prices (76k to 15/20k dealer retail in 8yrs is some depreciation).

Are they undesirable if not company / leased cars ?
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham

Last edited by Mogodon; 22nd February 2021 at 12:40.. Reason: Wrong model number used.
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:58   #2
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

With Mercedes E Class AMG line up I know of the E53, the E55 and the E63 but never heard of the E46 - I thought that was the model designation for BMW's 3 series between '97 and '06.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:37   #3
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I was reading yesterday that the new Mercedes C-Class C63 AMG will be losing half of it's cylinders, The AMG guys wont be liking that I don't see the point of a AMG without a monster V8 under the bonnet. https://todaynewspost.com/auto-news/...inder-engines/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:31   #4
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsailor View Post
With Mercedes E Class AMG line up I know of the E53, the E55 and the E63 but never heard of the E46 - I thought that was the model designation for BMW's 3 series between '97 and '06.
Oops, my bad, it is the E63.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:47   #5
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

IMHO it's the great obsession with mpg.

How on earth could anyone afford to run a fuel guzzling V8 monster when they can have a brand new box which does loads of mpg so that's got to be the way to go. Depreciation? What? No, it's mpg that matters .

I totally accept that if you're doing 30K a year then running costs matter a great deal but otherwise, in the great scheme of car ownership .

But if I was in the market for a V8 saloon (the obvious ones excepted ) I'd go for a LS Lexus. Balance a pound coin on it's edge while the engine is running anyone .

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 17:36   #6
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Friend of mine has a sports V8 Merc, not sure of the exact model but it has very expensive electronic suspension issues and has been awaiting repair since he bought it, so buyer beware , a lot of car for the money but some risk involved, he who dares Rodney !

My V8 Jag doesnt do many miles , I use my 75 as a workhorse and it has been the best car I have ever bought, but you cant beat the rag top in the summer

As for the £1 coin trick on the engine, not sure some V8 owners with throbbing lumps of noisy metal should try it unless they have plenty of change and are prepared for the undertray to fall off with the weight of £1 coins

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:06   #7
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
As for the £1 coin trick on the engine, not sure some V8 owners with throbbing lumps of noisy metal should try it unless they have plenty of change and are prepared for the undertray to fall off with the weight of £1 coins

I would have just said "Thanks" but the button has vanished

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:19   #8
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

There you go Andy !

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:30   #9
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post

Are they undesirable if not company / leased cars ?
These AMG Mercs are an amazing car, fast comfortable and not to bad on fuel on a run. The reason for the depreciation is the maintenance costs. A set of front discs and pads is £1000 and if you drive one of these cars with any vigour you will be fitting a set every couple of years.

A service history is critical and main dealers will have £500 off you for an oil change, a look over and a stamp in the book.

I know someone who had one for 6 months, he loved it but reckoned the general running costs were nuts for a daily driver, for a second car with a few thousand miles a year it would be fun.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote