Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd February 2021, 19:37   #51
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I did the same thing after having a new set of damper struts off DMGRS fitted 3 1/2 years (16K miles) back (see post #24).
Attacking a front-end off job over the last couple of week (replacing the AC condensor and releasing a stuck bonnet) and remembered the protectors.
I had to fit a new wheel arch liner anyway so decided to fit the protectors first - only to find the O/S damper is leaking!
I offered up the protector anyway - and it don't fit, the spring seating flange profile is different!!! Got hold of Matt who appeared to be vaguely aware of the situation by suggesting that "old tooling was lost and things have altered meantime". I can appreciate the sentiment but whilst things changed why didn't 'they' incorporate the shielding feature in the revised flange design; it also appears negligent and a liability to prevent a recall safety feature from being retro fitted whilst ignoring a known design fault/weakness. I'm guessing the SIAC cars could also bust springs and subsequently puncture tyres and all that entails.
...and beware replacement dampers.
Still waiting for Matt to let em know about the leaking damper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Don't wish to highjack the thread but felt I should update the damper issue (and, as far as I know the protectors will NOT fit 'OEM' replacement struts now being supplied from SIAC sources - so there is a real safety issue that needs addressing....).
DMGRS (Mat and I presume Scott) has agreed to replace the O/S/F leaking damper, they are now waiting for me to check the N/S. What do you guys think about replacing just one side of the front suspension in the event there isn't a guarantee that it's existing N/S mate (supplied 3 1/2 years back) is the same spec. since exact OEM match dampers were not available i.e. I've a Contemporary SE Hi-line with sport suspension (whatever that was?) and I think the replacements were advertised as the ZT 'comfort' spec. - I only purchased the dampers and drop links, not complete assemblies.

Hi John, this is worrying, my replacement strut was from my stash of goodies so probably not current spec but it is different on the lower edge. There are however the correct locating holes for the tyre protector and the profile to accept them is correct.
I can only hope there are more than one supplier of these if Matt cannot confirm tyre protectors will fit???

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:48   #52
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Broken springs......the only connection with cold weather is the increased prevalence of pot holes and salt in colder weather, the metal is no less supple in lower temperatures.

In the vast majority of cases, it is a corrosion cell caused by the failure of the powder coating on the spring allowing salty water to enter and sit fizzing away.

I fitted a pair of new springs today, job took me about three hours as I had a bit of a job with the pinch bolts on the top.

I know I'm slowing down a bit, as it took me two hours to do an upper rear arm last week, even allowing for the Rover recommended tooling use.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2021, 13:22   #53
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Interesting thread. However, as most 75's were FWD is it a case that these spring protectors are not a fit for Bilstein front struts on a RWD vehicle?

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 19:44   #54
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Thinking about fitting tyre protectors to my ZT as a few members springs seem to have gone twang. However, the recall bulletin I saw only specified 75s, not ZT's. Are they compatible with ZT's and is it worth fitting them on ZT's? I suspect ZT's have thicker springs. Also, I didn't see the holes when I checked whether protectors were already fitted earlier.
Old 15th March 2021, 20:03   #55
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Thinking about fitting tyre protectors to my ZT as a few members springs seem to have gone twang. However, the recall bulletin I saw only specified 75s, not ZT's. Are they compatible with ZT's and is it worth fitting them on ZT's? I suspect ZT's have thicker springs. Also, I didn't see the holes when I checked whether protectors were already fitted earlier.

Definitely, my spring snapped and came to a rest on top of the tyre , I now have a pair of protectors fitted

Stan
Old 16th March 2021, 07:36   #56
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Thanks. I wonder why the bulletin only specified 75 saloons (of a limited ser. no. range). We’re there more bulletins, or was this only rolled out as a targeted recall?
Old 17th March 2021, 16:49   #57
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I fitted a pair of these tyre protectors today. The screws that hold them in place are quite weedy IMO. I presume the protectors are just meant to catch a loose, broken off bit of spring, not support the corner of the car on the broken, shortened spring? I was also surprised they were not lhs/rhs handed.
Old 18th March 2021, 09:01   #58
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I presume the protectors are just meant to catch a loose, broken off bit of spring, not support the corner of the car on the broken, shortened spring?

I think your presumption is correct Michael. Having now seen these first hand, they provide a skirt of about 1 cm, 2 cms at the most, around the circumference of the spring cup. If a fracture occurs above that height, as was the case with my car, there's no way they're going to stop and contain the forces of a releasing spring travelling downwards at high velocity.

Simon
Old 18th March 2021, 09:13   #59
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Anyway, fitted now for what they are worth...
Old 18th March 2021, 09:36   #60
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Anyway, fitted now for what they are worth...
They may help prevent the spring from puncturing the tyre when fitted, I have seen this happen first hand, this is where the protector has caught the "live" remaining part of the spring and I have always found also they 100% do stop the lower snapped off part of the spring just slipping off the spring base and into the tyre. Also I have seen where they have failed to protect the tyre with a spring failure higher up.

Fact is, if they are stuck on your shed at home, they wont protect the tyre.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 18th March 2021 at 13:53..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote