Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:28   #21
torque2me
Avid contributor
 
MG ZT

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hatfield
Posts: 204
Thanks: 15
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Well, what is the alternative if a wrecked engine destroys a wing or an aircraft? The choice as in many cases must be of damage limitation ... I would guess.

If the shear pins are for location only then surely by definition they serve no other purpose ... assuming that you are correct.

It might be if it were relevant to this thread. But, is it?
Item 1 - Yes, everyone has a perception for this issue. One could easily say it would be o.k. to land on a school (obviously pre-covid). In other words, the collateral damage and death toll could exceed the passenger numbers on board.

Item 3 - Personally I would think so but again it is an objective thing for each person. The engine nacelle is supposed to contain a engine exploding.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 13:47   #22
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home
 
WillyHeckaslike's Avatar
 
Rovers 75 & 25

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wearside
Posts: 4,130
Thanks: 507
Thanked 630 Times in 453 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
I did however also say the shear pins relieve the bolts of any shear force.
My understanding is that the engine-to-wing supporting structure is designed to release the engine when extreme forces are applied to prevent any structural damage to the wing that may impair the aircraft's ability to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Item 3 - Personally I would think so but again it is an objective thing for each person.
We might be talking about different aircraft incidents. I'm not aware of the Quantas incident you mentioned, it may or may not have involved a GE engine, but that make of engine was not fitted to the subject aircraft of this thread nor was it fitted to the 747 incident that I linked to. Both were Pratt & Whitney engine failures.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:34   #23
torque2me
Avid contributor
 
MG ZT

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hatfield
Posts: 204
Thanks: 15
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post

We might be talking about different aircraft incidents. I'm not aware of the Quantas incident you mentioned, it may or may not have involved a GE engine, but that make of engine was not fitted to the subject aircraft of this thread nor was it fitted to the 747 incident that I linked to. Both were Pratt & Whitney engine failures.
The Quantas were RR as per post. Yes, P&W (which I thought, mistakenly, were part of GE). We all live and learn!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 23:04   #24
Darcydog
This is my second home
 
MG ZT-T

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Fordingbridge
Posts: 8,767
Thanks: 3,144
Thanked 3,106 Times in 2,059 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
The Quantas were RR as per post. Yes, P&W (which I thought, mistakenly, were part of GE). We all live and learn!

Kev
Youíre not that wrong Kev - GE partnered up with P&W to make the GP7000 for the A380.

GE also partners Safran -the French aircraft engine maker - to make engines for the A320 and 737.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darcydog For This Useful Post:
Old 25th February 2021, 21:05   #25
wullie480
This is my second home
 
wullie480's Avatar
 
Insignia VX-Line & Insignia tourer

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bunnyville
Posts: 5,140
Thanks: 525
Thanked 1,001 Times in 770 Posts
Default Aircraft Engine Failure over Denver.

Willyheckaslike I think your thinking of fuse pins but I pretty sure these arenít used anymore.

I work in the aircraft industry in a MRO repairing nacelles.

https://youtu.be/SeeDOWVlJ7Y


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Last edited by wullie480; 25th February 2021 at 21:18..
wullie480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 00:23   #26
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home
 
WillyHeckaslike's Avatar
 
Rovers 75 & 25

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wearside
Posts: 4,130
Thanks: 507
Thanked 630 Times in 453 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post
Willyheckaslike I think your thinking of fuse pins but I pretty sure these arenít used anymore. I work in the aircraft industry in a MRO repairing nacelles.
Fuses of many descriptions, be they mechanical or electrical, continue to be used in many applications for the protection of the greater good. I'm a poor Northern boy who knows nothing, nothing at all. But I do know the difference between the purpose of an engine nacelle and a ballistic blanket on a jet engine.

Best we agree to disagree Wullie ... as we do on another point in forum history.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2021, 11:01   #27
torque2me
Avid contributor
 
MG ZT

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hatfield
Posts: 204
Thanks: 15
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
I'm a poor Northern boy who knows nothing, nothing at all.
Ahhh, a brother of the same ilk!

Kewv
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torque2me For This Useful Post:
Old 27th February 2021, 15:25   #28
wullie480
This is my second home
 
wullie480's Avatar
 
Insignia VX-Line & Insignia tourer

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bunnyville
Posts: 5,140
Thanks: 525
Thanked 1,001 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Fuses of many descriptions, be they mechanical or electrical, continue to be used in many applications for the protection of the greater good. I'm a poor Northern boy who knows nothing, nothing at all. But I do know the difference between the purpose of an engine nacelle and a ballistic blanket on a jet engine.

Best we agree to disagree Wullie ... as we do on another point in forum history.

Iím not disagreeing with you it was a response to your suggesting that engines will detach in the air if there is a problem from one of your posts.
Iíve had a quick google search and

Boeing used fuse pins but stopped after a few incidents caused crashes https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-dcbee4da3f2c/

Airbus never used them https://archive.seattletimes.com/arc...9&slug=1679083


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
wullie480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wullie480 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2020, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd