Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th September 2023, 09:09   #1
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Default 2030 new fossil fuel cars roll back - 2035

Is this realistic or merely an acceptance that the enough support infrastructure will/cannot be in place in time for E cars?

It is all very well trying to keep the moral highground on climate change, but many of the aims such as heat pumps will not be met because of the total lack of sufficient people to install them, even if desireable or practical.

KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2023, 10:44   #2
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Is this realistic or merely an acceptance that the enough support infrastructure will/cannot be in place in time for E cars?

It is all very well trying to keep the moral highground on climate change, but many of the aims such as heat pumps will not be met because of the total lack of sufficient people to install them, even if desireable or practical.
Heat pumps? Had a laugh a few months ago. Part of the town centre in Hatfield has been given over to housing (lower shopping footfall?). They dug about three very large pits and put plastic trellis like structures into them and dumped top-soil into the pit. Asked the foreman on site if they were heat pumps. No, he said, the pits were for trees and the cavities that the trellis formed was to ensure tree root expansion. Ooooh, I said, then how are the units heated. By gas he said.

So much for net zero. Good for a laugh until you realise the amount the government agencies steal of people by green agenda policy taxation.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2023, 12:58   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

The reason the impossible dream is being rolled back is because of the inordinate costs to your pocket, and the overall economy. You have not heard the last of the rolling back of this stupid idea that this silly little island we live on can make a difference to so called global warming. King Canute comes to mind. I would like to know how much this gormless idea has cost, and will continue to cost you and me. My Rovers will be with me until I turn into a fairy ( oohhh Mrs).
Old 20th September 2023, 17:25   #4
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Hear hear. The only reason the projected folly has been re-dated is because a certain electoral event is in the offing (desperately trying to avoid falling into the obvious no-go area). It is, only, a re-date. The whole thing hopefully to be strangled at birth. There are even now huge open fields filling with unsold EV's.

If the passenger footfall for the projected HS2 debacle had only been 2%, how long would the cancellation have taken? It seems there are any number of ways of conning the public into ghosting as a massage parlour for failed honourable members. How many times must the 1% of world wide manufacturers of Doomsday be told they must be the first to pay the incredible cost?
Old 20th September 2023, 18:23   #5
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Some auto manufacturers aren't happy! Ford said it had already invested 430 million pounds ($531 million) in its U.K. facilities and had been planning further investments to fit with the 2030 timeline, BMW has invested $730 million to revamp the Oxford plant to support electric MINI production as the brand looks to go 100% EV in the coming years.
JLR are also calling for clarity over the re-date.

BEV parts manufacturers aren't going to be happy either with the re-date.
https://europe.autonews.com/automake...delays-ice-ban

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2023, 21:54   #6
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Now JCB, Caterpillar, Komatsu, Liebherr, Hitachi etc going all electric would be interesting. I guess contractors would need an on site SMR to keep them 'green' and charged, but what would that cost? Guess they could always have a diesel generator for back up.

Last edited by edwardmk; 20th September 2023 at 22:02.. Reason: adding words
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2023, 22:16   #7
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I think that this (going green)was thought up by a group of drunk MPs who were trying to think how they could make more money by investing in the scheme s . A bit like the ‘carbon capture’ racket. It all stinks and we idiots stand for it. Pity Guy Fawkes did not finish the job of putting the House of Commons in the Thames. Those who support it are hypocrites of the highest order. We send nearly all our emissions to China.........why, because people buy from China. I feel like a damned lemming sometimes .

Last edited by bl52krz; 20th September 2023 at 22:19..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2023, 08:13   #8
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Why didnt the Pm just come out and say " when the car manufacturers are totally honest with the buying public on REAL LIFE ranges on these cars" Iwill fully back them. Technology isnt where it needs to be to set a date of 2035. I have a friend who works for JLR and they are developing electric cars with mini generators in the boot to increase charge ranges. They think they have got to the near maximum for battery capacity and are looking for other ways.
Just look online at buyers buying cars with claimed 285 miles on a charge and only getting 180-190 miles. You can do better if you turn the heater of and radio off etc......
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2023, 09:06   #9
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

What percentage of world emissions does UK generate?

I know we started the industrial revolution but when China + India + USA reduce their global warming gases we might become slightly more relevant.

Moral highground is the only thing lost by the latest approach.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2023, 11:25   #10
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post

Certainly the situation was never going to fit into a 2030 timeline as we do NOT have the power generation capacity never mind the probable lack of charging points. A Rolls-Royce modular has not been given the go-ahead for even a test plant. The major nuclear stations being built now will only replace present capacity as those operating now will be shut down in another 5 years.

Most of the taxpayers money has gone into offshore wind generation with some directed to solar. None for thermal as far as I'm aware. No wonder we are not a competitive nation. One example is that all the tomatoes in my local Tesco are from the Netherlands, due to cheaper energy costs to heat their greenhouses.

Useless governments since 1997.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote