Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th May 2012, 20:40   #1
dickens

rover 75 tourer

Default ABS Light on

Hi Guys
Problem started a few days ago came to a junction and it felt like the ABS had come on grating noise at front of car. Carried on like that for a while then the ABS light came on and braking seemed normal. Spent all day today visually checking cables all seemed ok.(speedo is working ok). So if there is an issue with one of the sensors how do you know which one.
dickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 21:20   #2
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Was the brake peddle pulsing as you came to a halt or at anytime when you applied the brakes?
Does the ABS light go out when you start the car and does it come on when you start driving?
Does it stay on all the time?
Do you have cruise control and is it working?

Last edited by rover54; 12th May 2012 at 21:28..
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 07:29   #3
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

the quickest way to test each one is to use a T4.

For me it was quite easy to identify as a sensor cable had sheered. What I will say is that you have to be really careful when reconnecting the blue connectors if you removed them as they often will not seat properly again.

I used a continuity connector and tested each connection to find the fault.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 13:19   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickens View Post
Hi Guys
Problem started a few days ago came to a junction and it felt like the ABS had come on grating noise at front of car. Carried on like that for a while then the ABS light came on and braking seemed normal. Spent all day today visually checking cables all seemed ok.(speedo is working ok). So if there is an issue with one of the sensors how do you know which one.
Disabling the ABS (ABS light on) is the normal ABS systems reaction to a fault. You then have no ABS, so no more judder at the pedal.

As per Rover54's reply, those questions need to be answered before further help can be given.

Assuming one sensor has failed completely, as in light staying on once ignition is turned on - you could try substitution. Plug a known to be good sensor into the socket at each wheel in turn and try the ignition on test, for each wheel in turn. If you get the light to go out, then you have found the failed sensor.

But there are other modes of failure..

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 19:19   #5
oliver123456

rover75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickens View Post
Hi Guys

Hi, had the same problem, check at e-bay germany, cost 32 Euro, easy to change! in and out.....have fun made
oliver123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 20:09   #6
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver123456 View Post
Hi, had the same problem, check at e-bay germany, cost 32 Euro, easy to change! in and out.....have fun made
Changing ABS sensors is not fun, mostly they are stick in and you have to drill them out and hoping you don't damage the hub bearing in doing so. You must have been lucky or somebody must have changed it not long ago.

Pulsating brake peddle might be the hub bearing ferro magnetic ring not triggering the sensor correctly, with the ABS thinking the wheel is locking up.
Old 13th May 2012, 21:04   #7
dickens

rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover54 View Post
Was the brake peddle pulsing as you came to a halt or at anytime when you applied the brakes?
Does the ABS light go out when you start the car and does it come on when you start driving?
Hi
Update on ABS probs
when you turn on the ignition abs light comes on as normal and goes out when car is started. Initially when driving the pedal judders at junctions as if the abs is doing what it should do on a skid. However after a short while a message comes up on the electronic screen saying abs fault then the abs comes on and stays on. The brakes then work normally. This evening a red message came up say ing brake fault so i stopped and re started the car and that went out
Old 13th May 2012, 21:07   #8
dickens

rover 75 tourer

Quote:
sorry meant to say dont have cruise control
Old 14th May 2012, 02:24   #9
rover54
Retired

As the ASB light goes out when you start the car, the ABS sensors pass the self test. One theory for pulsating brake peddles is the ferro magnetic wheel bearing which the ABS sensor uses to detect wheel rotation become defective and an incorrect speed signal is received by the ABS unit and therefore thinks one of the wheels is locking, hence activation of ABS with a pulsing brake peddle.

I think the next thing you need to do is have the car T4 by either one of the guys on this forum, or a garage so equiped.

ABS problems can be a bit of a nightmare to detect and rectify and if a T4 doesn't show any electrical problem, then you need to investgate the hub bearings.

Some people have found a problem with corroded wiring in the plug on the ABS unit (under the battery box), but I think you have a dynamic problem, therefore the issue is at one of the wheels.

Last edited by rover54; 14th May 2012 at 02:34..
Old 14th May 2012, 08:19   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
As the ASB light goes out when you start the car, the ABS sensors pass the self test. One theory for pulsating brake peddles is the ferro magnetic wheel bearing which the ABS sensor uses to detect wheel rotation become defective and an incorrect speed signal is received by the ABS unit and therefore thinks one of the wheels is locking, hence activation of ABS with a pulsing brake peddle.

I think the next thing you need to do is have the car T4 by either one of the guys on this forum, or a garage so equiped.

ABS problems can be a bit of a nightmare to detect and rectify and if a T4 doesn't show any electrical problem, then you need to investgate the hub bearings.

Some people have found a problem with corroded wiring in the plug on the ABS unit (under the battery box), but I think you have a dynamic problem, therefore the issue is at one of the wheels.
I agree with the 'dynamic issue', except that as the issue seems to be triggered by actual braking, I would suggest it might be due to suspension and /or wheels. Check for suspension play, wheel bearing play, track rod play, tyre pressures and etc..

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote