Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th February 2021, 15:17   #1
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Default carwash

carwashing. not really given the old girl a good valet since before march lockdown last year when she had a good waxing. looking pretty sad for itself at the moment. i dont have off road parking so cant wash without being out on the main road.have not seen others doing it round here either. i dont know if washing the car outside of your property is still a no go and classed as not being essential maint or not. the other alternative is the handwash boys but again are they supposed to be open ? no doubt some are but if its not within the law im not taking the risk of a fine even if im masked and carefull. does anyone know if this is allowed ?....
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 15:48   #2
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Technically it is illegal to wash a car in the street, but I have never known anyone prosecuted for it. An alternative is to use a waterless product (I have tried a number and they are good), but only if you keep the car reasonably clean. After a year I think you should clean it first. No problem self-distancing if you pick a quiet time. I have just wiped the Sahara red dust off mine in less than a quarter of an hour with Showroom Shine (from Greased Lightening), and it polishes it at the same time. Just use a couple of quality microfibre cloths and follow the instructions.

Good luck.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 15:56   #3
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

thanks for your input much appreciated. however the problem is not with the washing technique its more to do with the law at the moment during lockdown. im still not sure if its allowed on the road and also if the handwash boys can operate. but thanks for your kind input. .....
Old 28th February 2021, 16:52   #4
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

It’s a difficult one to be sure, more so I would think for your area as you have been under lockdown restrictions longer than anyone else in the country.
Your best bet to be 100% sure is to contact your local police station and ask their advice as a lot of what is in the coronavirus act is subject to interpretation which is why there has been so much confusion.
That said, there is no mention in the coronavirus act regarding it and so long as you are 2 meters away from anyone when doing it and you wear a mask when doing it, I personally can’t see any reason why it should be classed as breaking the law. It could even be classed as part of your daily exercise. I know in my area it hasn’t been a problem for people washing their cars in the street outside their homes.
But like I say, contact your local police station and ask them to be sure.
Old 28th February 2021, 17:54   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

thankyou for that. what does spring to mind recently was a guy who nipped out of the house for a ten minutes break on his own away from the children to have a smoke inside his car. he was spotted by a passing potrol car and challenged. agreed the laws are not clear but thats how it is. hopefully we may see a change in the next few months but something tells me that by september/october we could well be headed towards another lockdown situation even if not countrywide. but lets be positive and hope for the best....
Old 28th February 2021, 19:14   #6
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
thankyou for that. what does spring to mind recently was a guy who nipped out of the house for a ten minutes break on his own away from the children to have a smoke inside his car. he was spotted by a passing potrol car and challenged. agreed the laws are not clear but thats how it is. hopefully we may see a change in the next few months but something tells me that by september/october we could well be headed towards another lockdown situation even if not countrywide. but lets be positive and hope for the best....
living where you do, you out of anyone should know they dont work after been in lockdown since May last year