Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd April 2024, 21:07   #1
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Default Unfortunately my MGR ownership is at an end.

After 30yrs of continuous ownership of Rovers and MG's it has finally come to an end.

It wouldn't start the other week which I narrowed down to injectors, It also scraped through the MOT with the tester telling me there was corrosion to both sills, the rear subframe would soon need attention along with brake pipes to the front.

Rear discs and pads needed and the handbrake just made it through the mot.

I had also noticed rust bubbling on bottom of front wing, rear quarter just behind wheel arch ans corner of roof panel where the black channel is.

SWMBO was the voice of reason, saying was it really worth spending an estimated £1,500 (my trusted garage estimate) or more on a 20yr old car on 140k and £360 VED and be nice to have something modern.

So, I've gone beige, and and bought a 2015 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium estate.

Heated cloth seats and steering wheel, heated windscreen, Dab radio, cruise control, tow bar, low mileage and £35 VED.

I'm nearly 60, disabled (so really unableto do anything but small minor jobs myself), and need a car that's reliable and comfortable.

Can't sell on here as not paid up member, bit got some rare PPD bits now on the bay with more as clear shed out.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham

Last edited by Reebs; 23rd April 2024 at 05:40.. Reason: Removed eBay name
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2024, 21:11   #2
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

That’s a shame.

I’m sure the continual increases in VED will see a lot of these cars killed off, when it is so much cheaper on newer models.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2024, 06:56   #3
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Sadly the VED will kill it if cars. My 2013 BMW 320d is 184 bhp returns 53.2 mpg to Coventry and back and is an absolute flyer and is £35 per year.
Heaven knows what I currently pay for my 2 ZT Diesels one being auto and my newly acquired MG ZT 180 SE auto! I’m thinning down my fleet as I no longer have the space plus it’s just not practical or economical anymore.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2024, 07:05   #4
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

How about a link to your ebay items?
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Walnut Handbrake grip, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Wanted: Walnut auto gear stick handle
Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2024, 08:59   #5
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln8458 View Post
How about a link to your ebay items?
As a non subscribed member, under club rules he is not allowed to sell. advertise or promote his items for sale using the club platform I'm afraid.
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2024, 09:01   #6
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
As a non subscribed member, under club rules he is not allowed to sell. advertise or promote his items for sale using the club platform I'm afraid.

Sorry, didn't realise a link would not be allowed.
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Walnut Handbrake grip, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Wanted: Walnut auto gear stick handle
Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2024, 15:32   #7
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

These cars are getting very old now and expensive to maintain and keep running, it will come a point in the not too distant future when most of us will have to make similar decisions!. All the best
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2024, 16:35   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Is spending for example £1,000 on repairs to a car cheaper then buying a replacement car?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2024, 17:14   #9
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Is spending for example £1,000 on repairs to a car cheaper then buying a replacement car?

macafee2
Definitely.(and you know what you have got).
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2024, 19:12   #10
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2
I don't disagree that it is, but my 2015 replacement with half the miles is

More practical (being an estate, dogs don't have to go on back seat when wet/smelly/dirty, usually all three).

It will (well should) be more reliable being 11yrs newer and less than half the mileage of the ZT.

Being a manual and a more modern engine (both 2ltr diesel) supposedly quite a bit more economical and £35 VED as opposed to £360 for the auto ZT.

And being a Titanium it's loaded with toys (Dab radio, sat nav, cruise, heated everything.

I loved my Zed and if I could have kept it as a non essential project/weekend car (and had off road parking/storage) it would have been kept, but as the main family car, needing to be dependable and reliable i just didn't have faith in it any anymore.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote