Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th February 2021, 19:18   #1
YorksMG2013
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE & MG ZT 260

Default Swimming pool :-(

Hello All

My ZT190 has been off the road over Winter (under a car cover).
Checked on her (at my parents) toady and she has the swimming pool in wheel-well problem which others have had.
1. Obviously the car cover is not as good as I had hoped!
2. I have had problems with water coming in through rear light seals but hoped we had sorted that.

Can anyone local to Leeds offer me some practical help to get this is sorted, once and for all?

many thanks

Andrew
Now joined by the Blue Beast - MG ZT 260 #57 in Trophy Blue
YorksMG2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 20:21   #2
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

If the light seals have been changed and its still letting in water then there is 2 possible reasons for it and things to sort it out

1. remove the lights seals and then use clear mastic round lights and the hole for the lights, fit the seal and then fit the lights. This will once and for all seal the rear lights up.
2. the water is coming in from the rear window seals. This can be sorted with a product called Captain Tolley’s Creeping Crack Cure (leak/crack sealer). Very simple to use and very affective at sealing the holes. No need to remove the chrome trim to use it.

Last edited by MacRob; 28th February 2021 at 20:23..
MacRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 20:57   #3
bluemalbert
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
If the light seals have been changed and its still letting in water then there is 2 possible reasons for it and things to sort it out

1. remove the lights seals and then use clear mastic round lights and the hole for the lights, fit the seal and then fit the lights. This will once and for all seal the rear lights up.
2. the water is coming in from the rear window seals. This can be sorted with a product called Captain Tolley’s Creeping Crack Cure (leak/crack sealer). Very simple to use and very affective at sealing the holes. No need to remove the chrome trim to use it.

OR, replace the clips, which is where the problem is - i did mine without hassle. you dont need to remove the glass as has been said before. Tolleys is good too, if it doesnt work get the clips from Rimmers. do a wet test - water the window with a hose, (boot closed)let the most drain away then (open boot) put your fingers in the holes that run each side of the boot light, is it wet?
bluemalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 21:17   #4
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Question

Thought I'd got a slight leak in the boot when I found a little pool of water under the boot carpet on the lhs just about underneath boot hinge. I took out the side covering and the whole of the inside rear wing was soaked with condensation, literally running with it.

Unfortunately the way my car is parked the rhs catches full sun in the morning while the lhs is always in shade and cold, the air in the boot warms up and condensates on the cold metal. I've temporarily stuffed all that side with bubble wrap to see if some insulation is required on the metal, if successful I'll look at getting some better kind of insulation on the inside of the rear wing. Any suggestions always welcome.

Martyn
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 11:10   #5
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

I use these for in car condensation - 3 in the car at any one time and 3 drying out in the airing cupboard- work a treat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-Car-H...72.m2749.l2649

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 11:45   #6
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
I use these for in car condensation - 3 in the car at any one time and 3 drying out in the airing cupboard- work a treat.

I use the same type of thing but I only have the one, I do however think that you really shouldn't need them. The biggest problem is that "modern" cars seal so well that they can't breath naturally, and also have a large area of glass and steeply raked windscreens.

My wife leaves her front windows in her Chevrolet Spark cracked open a bit and it does reduce the amount of condensation compared to when they are closed. It does lead to other problems tho', her car obviously is colder when you get in it and it could lead to insurance ramifications for obvious reasons. The only positive is it proves that not only Rovers suffer with condensation.

I'm waiting to see what happens over the next few weeks to see if the bubble wrap improves things or not, today everything was dry but that may because the air is slightly drier, time will tell and I'll report back any findings.
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 19:36   #7
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

You need to dry the car out totally or you will just keep getting the condensation. Ive had none since sealing it up the Capt Trolly and dried the boot fully out with tissue and the a hairdryer in all the hard to reach places. I also removed the boot lid cover off as that was soaking in there too. Since doing that a month ago the boot has been bone dry with no condensation at all.
Old 3rd March 2021, 21:02   #8
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post

Got one in mine. Feels very wet to hold after being in the micro for 90 seconds. However, appears not to do much for condensation as I get ice inside after a -4 deg C frost (obviously the silicon is saturated and if this is so then a microwave session would be needed every couple of days).

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote