Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th December 2018, 17:56   #11
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Its a V6. Took 40 mins by mobile guy with just a trolley jack last time? Tools....I dont know as anything special needed? I have some good ramps?
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 18:22   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

agh. It just that I'm up your way soon and was going to offer to do it if a diesel but I know nothing about a v6 sorry

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 22:38   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
agh. It just that I'm up your way soon and was going to offer to do it if a diesel but I know nothing about a v6 sorry

macafee2
Same as the diesel, the exhaust is a bit close but nothing to worry about.
Old 30th December 2018, 23:05   #14
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

The lower engine mount on a V6 can sometimes be troublesome, as you have to line up the top bolt when refitting also move the engine a little to the front to clear the lambda sensor that is unless you are going to remove the sensor.

If the sensor is removed make sure the wires do not get to twisted as it can stress the wire and crack them, thus giving you more trouble.

Off ramps about 40 minutes if all goes well, make sure the rear wheels are chocked hand brake on, and the car is in neutral being an Auto or a manual, other wise you will not be able to move the engine with your pry bar that you will also need along with short 15 socket & 15mm ratchet spanner.

Wear goggles so no rust ends up in your eyes, and a decent pair of gloves, a garage should be able to do it in 30 minutes off a lift.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 23:11   #15
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Wear goggles so no rust ends up in your eyes

Wise words! Rust in the eyes hurts (A lot)
Old 31st December 2018, 09:58   #16
daveb57
Loves to post

Mercedes Benz E 350 Coupe Peugeot 407 SW 1.9 HDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I wish you and Andy were closer! So hard to find fair, decent garages.
Hi Dawn.

I use Plough Garage at Heanor, next to the Trent Barton bus garage.

Both reasonable with prices and very helpful.

Might be of help to you?

Regards,

Dave.

Last edited by daveb57; 31st December 2018 at 10:15..
daveb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 11:38   #17
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

This is where an element of luck plays it's hand.
I have a number of chums with the 75/zt product who live both near and a short distance away from me. They are decent folk who have been shafted by many garages with similar excessive labour charges in the past. This hateful crime seems to be everywhere. I make time where possible to assist in keeping cars on the road, many of which were close to beyond economical repair in the eyes of garage folks, mainly due to labour costs and in some cases the availability of parts.
Many cars have been saved, many have lived beyond the owners expectations and generally a happy bunch. Why do I do it ? Simple answer is that in a kind of perverted way, I enjoy the cars and making them work nicely. I was very fortunate to meet Phil Davies, and together we got my car sorted during the early days of ownership. We paired up on many occasions to do clutches and many other repairs which are made so much easier as a team than solo. We learned so much and enjoyed what we did.Phil is a gifted guy and shared so much knowledge. It is for this reason among many others, that I use my knowledge and experience to help my group of chums, undertaking some horrid work on some occasions to help out, otherwise I would see the vehicle scrapped.
An example of this was experienced just yesterday, a mis-fuelled 75 diesel.
Both tank units out, drain fuel lines, drain fuel cooler, replace fuel filter, replenish with the proper fuel and re-assemble the vehicle to its former self and re-commission the engine to a state of good running order. This too a couple of hours, was inconvenient to me, but the alternative for the owner was a huge bill. All done and dusted, and a very chuffed friend drove his car away smiling. Do I charge for this ?
No. I leave it up to the owner to reward me on the level of their value of appreciation. This 75 has been looked after by me for almost 8 years so there is history with it, and the owner was my best man at my wedding, so also a good friend who would help me with stuff he can do for me if I needed help.
To sum - up.
I will help folks out (If I can) doing stuff that I enjoy doing, and many folks offer me money for doing this, normally I either take only half and give them the rest back telling them to treat themselves, sometimes I give it all back knowing they are struggling financially and tell them not to worry.
This is how I am, been like it for years, and will do my best to continue it alongside my 50-60 hour week at work.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 14:57   #18
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Wise words! Rust in the eyes hurts (A lot)
Your not kidding. Had to attend hospital at 5.00am one morning after suffering fo around 15 hours, including going to bed because’ it will be ok in the morning’ syndrome. Three pieces of metal were scraped off my eyeball. To be honest, once my eye had been put to sleep, there was no pain................until it wear’s off.
Old 31st December 2018, 15:37   #19
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Your not kidding. Had to attend hospital at 5.00am one morning after suffering fo around 15 hours, including going to bed because’ it will be ok in the morning’ syndrome. Three pieces of metal were scraped off my eyeball. To be honest, once my eye had been put to sleep, there was no pain................until it wear’s off.
All too aware of this situation, I now have only one operational eye (Due to illness) so always exercise caution where the risk exists. I know goggles make things slightly harder, but you only get one pair of eyes, and see so many folks who dont bother protecting their precious vision when using grinders, gas axes and similar high risk appliances. Ultimately it is up to the individual but the inconvenience of protection is nothing compared to the potential injury..... Hope vision was restored quickly with no lasting damage caused !
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:38   #20
monty1
Avid contributor

mg zt-t deisel

Just changed mine, took 40 minutes from start to finish
monty1 is offline   Reply With Quote