Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th August 2019, 10:02   #1
teatotty
Avid contributor

rover 75 Connessieur

Default Tyres

Yesterday I had 4 Avon ZV7 215/55/16 W fitted and supplied by
Formula 1 tyres in Southampton, price was good, service excellent and they used a torque wrench, not just the air gun.
teatotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 11:05   #2
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Had the same tyres fitted a month ago. Can't fault them. There are some good deals out there if you search a bit.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 14th August 2019, 12:21   #3
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

When I bought my ZT-T the car was fitted with Avon ZV5 tyres. They weren't completely awful, but really didn't inspire much confidence, especially in the wet - very much an average tyre. First thing I did was to replace them. I've since used various other brands, but most recently had Avon ZZ5 tyres fitted to the rear axle. Those are great tyres, very grippy and hugely different to the old ZV5 tyres. Even within the same brand, the tyre models can vary hugely.
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 12:46   #4
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I very recently had to have a full set of Avon ZV7s returned under warrantee for cracking between the treads. All 4 had failed, they were supplied a month apart in pairs from different retailers. One a local garage the second pair Black Circles. They had covered only about 3000 miles.

I contacted the manufacturers of Avon tyres and spoke to them personally and they were well aware of the problem. They told me that under EU rules they (and others) had had to change the formula of the rubber and this has caused this fault. They hope that now it has been sorted but said the problem does not arise immediately but can take three years and longer to show. The tyres he said are guaranteed for 6 years so high mileage users will probably not have a problem but low millage second cars etc are more likely to run into the problem. They wanted the tyres sent back for examination and then a refund will be made calculated on the wear. The tyres from the garage have gone back and I am waiting for the report and refund. Those from Black Circles probably haven't as the fitters of the replacements said Black Circles haven't asked for them to be returned. They offered a poor refund initially but after negotiation re offered an acceptable amount so they have by-passed the tyre manufacturers code of practice and as the retailer refunded themselves.

Before changing the tyres I had felt the braking was not as good as it had been and recently having fitted new pads discs etc considered a fluid change but since replacing the tyres the braking is as it was.

In the end considering the manufacturers statement that they thought they had fixed it but couldn't be confident for at least three years, I changed to Kumho which have similar ratings and around the same price but do seem better in feel and grip.

If you do have them fitted now or are considering them I suggest you bare this in mind and keep a good check on them.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 13:00   #5
teatotty
Avid contributor

rover 75 Connessieur

Default teatotty

£65.53 each, supplied and fitted
teatotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 20:43   #6
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Avon was at one point the original fitting for all new Aston Martin cars. Premium tyre 30 and 40 years ago.
Unfortunately many old names were bought up by other manufacturers and standards dropped thereby tarnishing previously top brands, not just tyres.
I’ll be replacing my new Avon tyres late October with my set of winter tyres on different alloys. The downside of course is that all the tyres will age before they wear out. I just don’t do many miles in the 75.
I see threads appearing annually about tyre condition and so they should too.