Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd August 2019, 16:48   #11
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
I'm with auto aid, gone up since last yr, Personal cover as opposed to specific vehicle cover currently £59:99 you and spouse any vehicle you are legally driving, caravan covered in T&C's (2nd Link)

https://secure.autoaidbreakdown.co.u...409.1564759965

https://secure.autoaidbreakdown.co.u...20Document.pdf

Thanks Dave - I could not see any link to indicate what the 'Personal Cover' actually offered. Just one sticking point, which I have emailed them to ask about...

What if I had my tourer caravan sited on holiday in south Wales and my car broke down whilst touring the area and I needed to be taken back to Leeds, would they collect car and caravan and return both to home?

There quick reply was - they would take any attached caravan, but it would not actually be attached when on site, so I have asked them again to confirm that point.

BTW I had a few bits for the 75 which might have been of interest for you, but I was so mesmerised by your 'new' car I forgot to ask you

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2019, 16:57   #12
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
What if I had my tourer caravan sited on holiday in south Wales and my car broke down whilst touring the area and I needed to be taken back to Leeds, would they collect car and caravan and return both to home?

This is also my burning question, not necessarily a caravan, but whatever you've left at your hotel/B&B/campsite whatever, and you breakdown while driving around sightseeing. You breakdown - so do you get recovered home including fetching all your kit from wherever, or get recovered back to your hotel/site/b&b only? Surely someone has experience of a similar type of situation? Bear in mind you could be 100 miles away from your holiday/temporary abode: what then?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2019, 17:01   #13
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:

There quick reply was - they would take any attached caravan, but it would not actually be attached when on site, so I have asked them again to confirm that point.

Their second reply confirmed they would just abandon my caravan on site and just take the car home

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 2nd August 2019, 17:49   #14
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Their second reply confirmed they would just abandon my caravan on site and just take the car home

That's gonna cost them some business, then again what do AA and RAC do?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2019, 19:53   #15
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

All my classic Rovers are covered by the AA. My Morris Oxford too. As well as my wife & her car, my stepdaughter & stepson & their cars or any car they or we happen to be driving or riding in. Last year it was frozen at £186 for this year after a bit of negotiation.
We don't have a caravan but do have a trailer which l haven't used for a long time but will be using quite regularly from next year. I'll have to enquire.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:17   #16
hortonds
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer Automatic

WHATEVER one you go for, make sure you do it through Quidco first.

They are offering up to £150 cashback on RAC at the moment, and depending which one you go for it can halve your breakdown cover payment.

*WARNING* Make sure you don't take the monthly payment option, as your cashback would be refused (I learned the hard way).

Also, if you use the below link then you get an additional £10.00 and so do I You can use this as your way of thanking me for saving you tons of money.

https://www.quidco.com/raf/2006715/

Jobs done: Everything you can possibly imagine ... I have the "Triggers Broom" of cars.
hortonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:59   #17
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Personal RAC cover has no limits on age of car or number of call-outs - I have been with them for over 40 years and have no complaints. They also cover me in other peoples cars. Maybe not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for!
Like wise. 2 of my cars are around the 20 year old mark
I can't remember the last time I used them but they have no age limit on personal cover.

I was going to change this year but found the age limit with most other "cheaper" companies.

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 14:42   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The RAC and AA policies are very clear that with the "Recovery" option, they will take you and your vehicle to a "single destination". That destination is chosen by the member.

If one thinks about it, the cover cannot really be anything else as otherwise some people would have them running around the country collecting family and friends.

Is there not any cover specifically for caravan owners - perhaps organised by caravaning organsations - that caters for the specific requirement of caravaners?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 16:23   #19
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
The RAC and AA policies are very clear that with the "Recovery" option, they will take you and your vehicle to a "single destination". That destination is chosen by the member.

If one thinks about it, the cover cannot really be anything else as otherwise some people would have them running around the country collecting family and friends.

Is there not any cover specifically for caravan owners - perhaps organised by caravaning organsations - that caters for the specific requirement of caravaners?

I have had this issue before with breakdown companies, with each I explained the issue and each had agreed in writing that they would not take the car + occupants home, abandoning the caravan on site, before I took out cover with them.

My most recent one was Breakdown Assist, but now I have hit there 15 year old limit for renewal. I did actually suffer a breakdown with the, my only one ever, were I have needed assistance. That when my clutch master cylinder failed in Pembrokeshire a couple of years ago, caravan left on site, whilst touring solo. I was able to get sorted out in a couple of days and with a vehicle provided whilst mine was off the road, but it worried me that it might not have been quickly repairable and I needed ferrying home.

Old 3rd August 2019, 17:00   #20
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post

I wonder if there is a separate policy for a caravan, what about a boat on a trailer? I used to do agency work for the AA when they ran air ambulances. I still have my staff ID. I remember a case I attended in Hungary. The customer had taken out the 5 star insurance for his car, himself and a relative. He got into trouble meeting a lady of the night employed by the mafia .....he did not pay for her services and they smashed up his Mercedes stretch, took his passport, money and locked him up in one of their hotels. The AA arranged for the Merc to be repatriated back to the UK on a flatbed. The relative fled fearing for his life and alerted us. I had to meet with a mafia rep and get this man out trouble, then back to the UK. It was made very clear during the meeting I had with the bad guys, that if I didn’t do something, the customer would come to serious harm (hostage cover - this was not included in the policy). Cut a long story short, I got him home unharmed and he got his Merc back.

Yesterday, I had a problem with the brakes and had to call the AA out. Using their app, I was able to track the arrival of the AA. He arrived within 45 minutes. and found a split pin in the drum rolling loose. He reassembled everything. I went for a test drive, seemed ok but the brakes will need to repaired and the ABS light is permanently on etc

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 3rd August 2019 at 17:03..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote