Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

View Poll Results: What would you do. Keep it or scrap it for between £1500 to £3000 with your diesel?
Keep it? 65 97.01%
Not keep it? 2 2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd February 2021, 22:01   #1
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts
Default Rover and MG diesel Owners

Have you seen this?
Would you keep your car or would some scrap them if they could for the money?

PARKED UP Drivers are being offered up to £3,000 ‘in credit’ to give up polluting cars
Levi Winchester, Senior Digital Consumer Reporter
20 Feb 2021, 11:53Updated: 20 Feb 2021, 17:59
DRIVERS are being offered up to £3,000 “in credit” in return for giving up their cars as part of a new trial scheme.

A pilot programme is being launched in Coventry this spring but could be rolled out to more parts of the UK.

Drivers in Coventry will be offered up to £3,000 to give up their cars
Drivers in Coventry will be offered up to £3,000 to give up their carsCredit: Alamy
The scheme will be designed to target the “most polluting” cars such as diesel vehicles built before 2016 and petrol models made before 2006, reports The Times.

In return for giving up their cars, drivers will be given “credits” to use toward greener forms of transport.

This includes buses, trains, bicycles, electric scooters, car clubs and taxis.

The scheme aims to help lower the UK’s carbon emissions and tackle climate change.
Old 22nd February 2021, 22:11   #2
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

What's to stop one buying any rusty old trolley which limped through an MOT and trousering a lovely crisp £3k?

I suppose this is public money being splashed around. After all, the Treasury coffers are overflowing at this point in time.
Old 22nd February 2021, 22:40   #3
BOZZ
Avid contributor

MG ZT

He He any "greener cars" well above 3k .Let me think ... want to swap or not?
I no idea for rest of owners , but ME personally no way, I love my MG ZT even it give me some trouble . ZT as long as it keep going.
it will be going even beyond me...))
Old 22nd February 2021, 22:56   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

What a brain dead idea from a brain dead thought machine.
Travel by bus? You really are joking. And I can travel for free anyway being retired. Think I have used my bus pas about 10 times in 16 years.If I had to use buses these days, I would either in prison for assault, or I would be a murder statistic. The reason being , I don’t stand queue jumpers, and my wife who uses buses, or did do until this pandemic, tells me that everyone does it now. Not if I am near the front of the queue you won’t mate.

Last edited by bl52krz; 23rd February 2021 at 15:18..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 23:28   #5
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Nothing would prise the typhoon zt out of my hands. And I've been forbidden from ever selling redfive by the boss too.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:10   #6
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp61973 View Post
What's to stop one buying any rusty old trolley which limped through an MOT and trousering a lovely crisp £3k?

I suppose this is public money being splashed around. After all, the Treasury coffers are overflowing at this point in time.
Which is exactly what happened in various scrappage schemes funded by the UK government alarmed at a slowdown in car sales in the fairly recent past.

Hypocrites in government whining about car usage but subsidising new car purchases for those who could afford a new car thus encouraging greater car production and ownership.

Whilst I'm all for bus use ( by everybody else, leaving the roads clear for me and of course entitled government officials only) I grew up in a small village having to catch the bus to school and back everyday as a youngster. I must have wasted half my early life stuck in freezing cold bus shelters staring up the road scanning for the bus, many of which never arrived, It's put me off buses for life other than in an absolute transport less emergency.

Years later as an adult having been put off the bus during that time from my early experiences I was in the local pub in my village having a few pints around Christmas time and had to get to the nearby town to meet people, I mentioned to those I was with before leaving that I was going to book a taxi and was met with a hail of get the bus its due in 10 minutes and the fraction of the price of a taxi from the others despite me pointing out my early experiences and that I hadn't caught one for years because of all the times they never turned up.

Against my better judgement I trudged into the bitter cold night to the bus stop just 30 yards away and spent the next 25 minutes staring up the road for the bus out of the little window in the bus stop which had a howling gale blowing through it, that never arrived went back to the pub and ordered a taxi.

That was years ago and I think that I've caught the bus once since then.

Who do these politicians all of whom swan about in chauffeured limos think that they are?

Last edited by bendrick; 23rd February 2021 at 11:38..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:17   #7
R75800sd1
Avid contributor

Rover 75s; 1 Diesel Tourer, 1 diesel saloon,

@#11
It would be more tempting if the public transport on offer was a pair of 37's and a rake of mk1s. Good news is they're likely to be around for another 5 years or so at least. A proper tribute to British engineering. Back on topic what they really ought to be doing is encouraging people to make things like cars last longer if they want to save the planet. Its the throw away society for everything from pop bottles upwards that's doing the real damage. But too many people make money out of it.
R75800sd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 00:18   #8
Adam2003
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur

Default Rover and MG diesel Owners

Mine isn’t a diesel. But even if it was I wouldn’t even consider it.

You cant find an electric car for under £3K and you won’t find a car with the same technology and capabilities as a 75/ZT for under £3K. A Saab would be on par but they’d want to scrap that too. My car also obviously has sentimental value and even if you offered me £10,000 it’d still be no.

A bus won’t take you directly to your destination, neither will a train. So I’d have to pay for something like a taxi which where I live is about £5 per mile which is ridiculous. I’d rinse through that £3K, if I even get that, in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Adam2003; 23rd February 2021 at 00:32..
Adam2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:02   #9
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

No chance, hell will freeze over first. Use public transport ? The UK has the worst, and most expensive public transport system in Europe, and probably most third world countries too. Add in the time factor, the cancellations, the non arriving services, and having to further use taxis often to get to where you want to be adds up to a most unattractive scenario. Then of course, there is the weather.
All the money from scrapping your beloved car will soon be swallowed up by transport cost. Then where are you ? No car, stood at a bus stop in a howling gale, being lashed by torrential rain, waiting for a bus that isn't coming.

It's a real no brainer, I will stay nice and warm and comfortable in my beloved 75 going where I want, when I want, in style.

There are no old blobs of chewing gum under the seats of my car that's for sure.

They need their heads looking at.

Gerroff my 75 !!
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:25   #10
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Nah, my 75 has a value you cannot put a price on.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote