Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2018, 20:56   #141
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I own the actual Rover tools, not a set of cheapo Laser or Sealey ones
I would like to point out that Gates themselves say to use their own set of tools, which is in fact identical to the Sealey/AST set - so yes, cheaper than the pukka MGR tools but good enough for Gates

So good enough for me too, as I bought that set.

I have read some criticisms of the Laser tools in the past, but having seen both these and the Sealey set, they seem pretty much the same quality wise. And neither is really 'cheapo' to be honest - otherwise lots more people would just buy the tools to do the job.

There are some much cheaper sets of the KV6 tools on eBay, made in the Far East, but at over £100 again not my idea of 'cheapo' - no idea about the quality though

Why are these lumps of metal so expensive? I don't understand. Low volume production?
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Old 29th May 2018, 21:08   #142
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
I would like to point out that Gates themselves say to use their own set of tools, which is in fact identical to the Sealey/AST set - so yes, cheaper than the pukka MGR tools but good enough for Gates

So good enough for me too, as I bought that set.

I have read some criticisms of the Laser tools in the past, but having seen both these and the Sealey set, they seem pretty much the same quality wise. And neither is really 'cheapo' to be honest - otherwise lots more people would just buy the tools to do the job.

There are some much cheaper sets of the KV6 tools on eBay, made in the Far East, but at over £100 again not my idea of 'cheapo' - no idea about the quality though

Why are these lumps of metal so expensive? I don't understand. Low volume production?
There is nothing wrong with them at all Colin, and they are fine for one off, or very occasional use, but if you were to compare them to the real deal you would see why I wouldn't wish to use them.

The very first post in this thread describes Simon's difficulty in engaging the locking tool due to the routing of the PAS pipework and reservoir.

This is not a problem with the Rover tools, as they do not incorporate the exhaust cam turning tool with the spindle of the front bank locking pin.

The quality of the machining is sublime and they work beautifully, and I suspect if they had been copied to the last detail, they would have been even more expensive.

Brian
Old 29th May 2018, 21:25   #143
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

I assume that the MGR tools are made by the same company that made the hydramount tool (which I have previously borrowed) and the KV6 crank pulley tool (which I own).

The quality of those is fabulous, especially the welds.

For cheaper tools, I can't see them breaking easily (they are thick), so my real concern would be that they are accurate copies in the critical dimensions to ensure the timing is absolutely spot-on (the main reason for using them in the first place).
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Old 29th May 2018, 21:34   #144
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
I assume that the MGR tools are made by the same company that made the hydramount tool (which I have previously borrowed) and the KV6 crank pulley tool (which I own).

The quality of those is fabulous, especially the welds.

For cheaper tools, I can't see them breaking easily (they are thick), so my real concern would be that they are accurate copies in the critical dimensions to ensure the timing is absolutely spot-on (the main reason for using them in the first place).
Probably Colin, I'd say, most of the rover tooling is made by CarTool or Churchill, and yes they are a sight to behold
Old 30th May 2018, 06:33   #145
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

So many experts to ask.
If, dear reader, you have made it this far you will know who's expert advice you prefer. As such you can pm them for any help needed.

This thread is being closed before anyone else says something they may later regret.
Closed Thread