Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd April 2018, 22:05   #1
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts
Default Totally fed up!!

I want to expand my business into cleaning carpets and upholstery, get inside work for the winter a bit more.
Last week I attended a course on the above, but got no hands on experience, instead it left me terrified to get started, for fear of ruining someone's carpet and getting sued.
I have posted on the cleaning forum, and a cleaning forum on fb, asking if someone would be willing to give me a bit of experience , to give me the confidence go it alone. from one, I had 60 odd views and not one reply, from the other,I have had nothing but anti encouragement, people telling me not to waste my time and stick with what I've got. If I was happy with what I've got, I would , but I need to make preparations now ,while I still can. No good waiting until I'm 60 and finding the body is too worn out to be able to do anything else.
To the nay sayers, thanks for nothing. Good job this forum didn't tell me things like that ,when I first came into 75 ownership. Rant over, and signing out.
Old 23rd April 2018, 22:10   #2
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

Guessing they see you as the completion.

Do your own carpets to practice.

You'll soon clean up!
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 22:27   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I want to expand my business into cleaning carpets and upholstery, get inside work for the winter a bit more.
Last week I attended a course on the above, but got no hands on experience, instead it left me terrified to get started, for fear of ruining someone's carpet and getting sued.
I have posted on the cleaning forum, and a cleaning forum on fb, asking if someone would be willing to give me a bit of experience , to give me the confidence go it alone. from one, I had 60 odd views and not one reply, from the other,I have had nothing but anti encouragement, people telling me not to waste my time and stick with what I've got. If I was happy with what I've got, I would , but I need to make preparations now ,while I still can. No good waiting until I'm 60 and finding the body is too worn out to be able to do anything else.
To the nay sayers, thanks for nothing. Good job this forum didn't tell me things like that ,when I first came into 75 ownership. Rant over, and signing out.
Stick with it Richard. You can clean mine when you come and visit.

232750. Over 3 months since I drove Banana.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 22:28   #4
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I have already stated to them I am not out to take business from them, I have my own customer base who I can offer my services to. I don't need to snatch work from anyone. Even if I did need to get work, I wouldn't poach it. Dont have carpets got laminate. Not that simple even if. I did
Old 23rd April 2018, 22:31   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Offer a free one room cleaning to any of your existing customers Rich. Pretty certain a man of your intelligence wont be far off the mark after your theory training.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 23:25   #6
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Any family or friends willing to be testbeds or should thatbbe carpets
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 04:32   #7
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

How about looking on what you were told at the course as a positive rather than a negative. They’ve obviously told you the pitfalls which reading your post it looks like that’s all you’re seeing, I assume they also told you how to do the job properly. As for Facebook disregard any negative advice on there as it’s full of it, I enjoy Facebook but I’ve learned to disregard the idiots on some of the larger groups. As others have suggested get out there and even do a few for free until you gain both knowledge and confidence. Wishing you every success
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 05:08   #8
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Experience has to be gained so do it. As for being sued, as a business you will be fully insured anyway I expect, so that should allay that fear.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 05:27   #9
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Last week I attended a course on the above, but got no hands on experience, instead it left me terrified to get started, for fear of ruining someone's carpet and getting sued.:mad
Was this course run by a company that sells the machines or just a 'general carpet cleaning course'?
If it was a general one, then I would get in touch with a couple of companies that supply the machine you are looking at (or even the manufacturer) and see if they do courses - or at least give you some proper information.

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 05:29   #10
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Rich, don't get down over the response, there are loads of videos on youtube about how to do it also, have you thought of car interior cleaning? Try the folk selling the materials they should be able to offer advice and training.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote