Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th May 2016, 23:22   #1
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Default Battery question

I've a project car in the drive (2004 2.5 Contemporary SE Hi-line Tourer manual) with a 'new' 096 battery (it was used for just a few weeks on the daily car which I then treated to a nice Exide 100 battery).
I've just fully charged the 096 (took 4 days from almost flat), anyone on here got some ideas on approximately how long it should last (just sitting there blinking red and driving the tick-tock) before a re-charge is required.
The sat. nav. disc drive is not fitted and it's on the full central locking alarm set off the key fob.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 13:32   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Apparently (I haven't checked), the MGR data says when the car's in 'sleep' mode (which I believe means over 20 minutes from ignition off), the battery drains continuously at 30 to 45mA. A little maths should tell you about how long the full charge will last. That's the theory anyway. You'll most likely find it's rather shorter in practice.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 15:58   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

John,

I thought that I would remember to recharge my SD1's battery, but it's easy to forget and car batteries aren't designed for cyclic use. I'd therefore recommend that you invest in a C-Tek smart maintenance charger and leave it connected 24 hours a day. That's what I do now. You won't need an expensive model with a high output and there are many from which to choose in the C-tek range.

Simon
Old 18th May 2016, 16:24   #4
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

Aldi and Lidl do a good a good one, it's like the c - tech one only about £15 from memory, they sell them quite regularly.
Old 18th May 2016, 19:27   #5
Retrorob
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I have a AA solar panel charger £23 been using it for last 4 months. Cars on SORN so only gets started once or twice a week and so far battery is always fully charged. For me worth every penny
Retrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 23:39   #6
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrorob View Post
I have a AA solar panel charger £23 been using it for last 4 months. Cars on SORN so only gets started once or twice a week and so far battery is always fully charged. For me worth every penny
Do you charge through ODB?....May buy one
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 17:31   #7
Retrorob
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Smile

Yes it does but also gives the option of direct connection to the battery. The lead allows you to place anywhere in the car. Mines at the back of my Tourer. I also found it was cheaper to buy direct from the AA. £23.99 at the moment. http://shop.theaa.com/store/home/car...-solar-charger. Oh and you need to remember to unplug it before starting the car.
Retrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016, 06:51   #8
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I've a project car in the drive (2004 2.5 Contemporary SE Hi-line Tourer manual) with a 'new' 096 battery (it was used for just a few weeks on the daily car which I then treated to a nice Exide 100 battery).
I've just fully charged the 096 (took 4 days from almost flat), anyone on here got some ideas on approximately how long it should last (just sitting there blinking red and driving the tick-tock) before a re-charge is required.
The sat. nav. disc drive is not fitted and it's on the full central locking alarm set off the key fob.

You need to know if your battery is still in good shape, can`t remember the readings but leave it off charge for 24hrs and see what the voltage drop is.
I recently had a 12 month old battery replaced because the volt drop was more than it should have been from what appeared to be a fully charged battery.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote