Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd February 2010, 21:01   #1
Leander
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 02, Connoisseur SE in Royal Blue Pearlescent + XPower Upgrade & Synergy 2

Default EGR Mod+PCV+Synergy2+P’burg Maf+AirIntakeMod+K&N Filter = New Car & Mpg

Over this last weekend Mark_Bonsai helped me with all of the above modifications, and the effects have been dramatic – and maybe all the more so since all the mods were done in one fell swoop.

During drive home for my Mum’s birthday – 90 miles over the Pennines – it felt like I was in a new or a very different car. A different sound, more grunt in all gears (third used to be the worst), and the security of knowing I can accelerate out of trouble – or even out of a junction – if necessary.

BUT… most amazing of all – in fact unbelievable - was the mpg!
I was getting around 50 mpg average – and this doing all the right things to minimize fuel consumption – in fact I’m a bit obsessive about it. On this trip – 180 miles – nearly all clear A roads or motorways - I got 74.2 mpg!!!!

I had the synergy on 6, and I know it can fool the computer as it makes the injection pulses shorter – but this is ridiculous. So I’ve just begun a brim to brim – but whatever the figures turn out to be, I’m just really enjoying driving my car now

Cheers
Leander
Leander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:03   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

If you are using the fuel trip computer,
now you have the synergy fitted, the MPG shown will be wildly out.
You can program it after keeping mileage records etc for a while using brim to brim method.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:09   #3
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
You can program it after keeping mileage records etc for a while using brim to brim method.
yes agree with John, 70 odd mpg is a bit wild... synergy 2 increases fuel pressure so onboard computer will be wrong
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:12   #4
Leander
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 02, Connoisseur SE in Royal Blue Pearlescent + XPower Upgrade & Synergy 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Thanks for that John.

I'm just wondering how wild "wildly out" can be.
10%? 20%?
I'm looking at an at least 30% increase in mpg here.
I'm hoping I'll be keeping at least a quarter of that improvement when the brim to brim figures are in.
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:17   #5
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
Thanks for that John.

I'm just wondering how wild "wildly out" can be.
10%? 20%?
I'm looking at an at least 30% increase in mpg here.
I'm hoping I'll be keeping at least a quarter of that improvement when the brim to brim figures are in.
30% inc no chance- maybe 4-5 mpg is realistic
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:22   #6
tonygardner
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer connie

im sure i read somewhere that a synergy 2 will put the mpg out by around 10% so if the car tells you 60 mpg its more like around 54
tonygardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:36   #7
mark_bonsai
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Glad it all worked OK and you're happy with the results. I thought you'd notice a dramatic change with us doing all the mods at the same time. As others have said, the only true way to check the mpg is the brim to brim method.
Re-mapped. EGR bypass. De-catted. 18" Apex's. ZT190 brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harman Kardon speakers & sub. Navall 2 double din through 500w Kenwood amp. Fully chromed front grill.
mark_bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:36   #8
Leander
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygardner View Post
im sure i read somewhere that a synergy 2 will put the mpg out by around 10% so if the car tells you 60 mpg its more like around 54
That's what I thought. Which would make my current mpg 74.2 minus 10% = 66.8mpg...?

I used to get 60-65mmpg out of my Ford Focus estate 1.8 tddi, but that's a lighter car with a smaller engine. I have refined my economical driving skills over the years, and this was on a clear run. I drove at 56 mph most of the way, but there were several stretches when I gave it some welly to see what the mods had done for me.

Just got to wait for the brim to brim figures to come in, to see how far out the computer is, then reprogram as JohnDotCom says.
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:39   #9
Leander
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_bonsai View Post
Glad it all worked OK and you're happy with the results. I thought you'd notice a dramatic change with us doing all the mods at the same time. As others have said, the only true way to check the mpg is the brim to brim method.

Yes it's certainly been dramatic. If the increase in mpg is even half right I put my synergy on 9 like you, and really have some fun
Old 24th February 2010, 06:29   #10
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygardner View Post
I posted elsewhere a brim-to-brim comparison with the readout. Over a 280 mile trip on mixed roads, inc an empty M25, the readout said 60.1, brim-to-brim said 44.3. Approx 25% error. That's with the mods mentioned here, Tu3B not synergy. Plus the wastegate spring, minus K&N.

HTH

Malcolm