Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th June 2008, 19:28   #1
colin32

Rover 75 Saloon

Default MOT Day

Took my 75 02 cdt for it's mot and it failed on tyres and brake pad wear. So had 2 new tyres and new front pads fitted but now the brake pedal travels a lot further and feels soft and spongy with poor braking efficiency. I can also hear a rush of air as the pedal is depressed.Is it possible for air to enter the system during pad replacement?
colin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 19:37   #2
tony g
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin32 View Post
Took my 75 02 cdt for it's mot and it failed on tyres and brake pad wear. So had 2 new tyres and new front pads fitted but now the brake pedal travels a lot further and feels soft and spongy with poor braking efficiency. I can also hear a rush of air as the pedal is depressed.Is it possible for air to enter the system during pad replacement?
this is fairly normal for new pads, give them time to bed in, about a 100 miles or so will do. no air can't enter the system when having new pads fitted.
tony g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 20:12   #3
afcbadam
Gets stuck in

2004 MG ZS 180

has it been blead properly. try pumping the pedal for a minute or 2. or is there enough fluid in the system. i know this sounds like im stateing the obvious but i have heard of it before

www.themgzs.co.uk

Inner wing open cone
Oil catch tank
Janspeed cat back
Janspeed de-cat
Reidy Re-mapped
afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 21:00   #4
colin32

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcbadam View Post
has it been blead properly. try pumping the pedal for a minute or 2. or is there enough fluid in the system. i know this sounds like im stateing the obvious but i have heard of it before
In the days when I would change my own pads, it was a simple matter of removing the master cylinder cap prior to pushing the the caliper piston back and no air could enter the system, however, Haynes says open the bleed nipple and clamp the flexible hose to expel excess fluid. Presumably if this was not done correctly, it would allow air to enter.
I'm hoping it's just a matter of waiting for the pads to bed in, but previously the pedal was nice and firm and now it feels as if the brakes has lost all it's power assistance.
colin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 22:15   #5
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

That doesn't sound right to me.
I have never had that after changing my pads to date.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 22:26   #6
Simon
Banned

-

I would also concur that a spongy feeling in the pedal would indicate air has got into the system somehow. Never changed pads on a car but on a mountain bike I have removed and changed pads on a hydraulic system and didn't need to touch any bleed nipples or the master cylinder caps (although they were self-adjusting with regard to brake pad wear....) I'm digressing again..... Sorry
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote