Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th January 2017, 11:03   #1
Djangoz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default CDTi Tourer Roof Vibration 1700 to 1800 rpm

I've read a few threads describing vibration occurring between about 1700 to 1800 rpm affecting diesel tourers only, which sounds like it's coming from the engine area but is in fact coming from the roof panel vibrating against the lateral reinforcing panels between the headliner and the roof itself.

I do have this vibration issue and I've convinced myself that that is what I've got by pressing on the headliner above my head whilst driving at those revs and managing to stop the vibration.

So I was all fired up to tackle the issue by dropping one side of the headliner and running a bead of silicone sealer between the roof and the reinforcing panels as others have described.

However, one of the threads (which I can't for the moment track down) reported that about a year after doing this, one owner claimed he could actually see a dent across the roof corresponding to the line of silicone he had applied the year before. As if the space being filled (even by a flexible filler like silicone) was sufficient to transmit the vibration which was still "trying" to occur through to the roof panel to the extent that it was deforming the roof itself.

This has made me a bit nervous to try the silicone sealant method and I wonder if anyone has tried using Dynamat or similar applied to the inside of the roof panels in an attempt to damp out the resonant frequencies responsible?

I'm not sure whether the Dynamat adhesive would be reliable under the full heat of the sun - although the same would apply with silicone sealant I suppose (or "No More Nails" as one owner has apparently used).

Would welcome any views on the subject especially if you've solved the problem on your own car.
Djangoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 12:33   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

As you say--" a resonant frequency"

It is probably being generated by being in Sympathy with another source.

The vibration is quite likely starting at the engine.

At the revs you mention the roof starts to vibrate at it's own Resonant Frequency which matches that of the engine.

Check the engine mounts. Maybe even move them a fraction.

You need to find the source of the problem and not just look at the results.-
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 14:14   #3
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djangoz View Post
I've read a few threads describing vibration occurring between about 1700 to 1800 rpm affecting diesel tourers only, which sounds like it's coming from the engine area but is in fact coming from the roof panel vibrating against the lateral reinforcing panels between the headliner and the roof itself.

I do have this vibration issue and I've convinced myself that that is what I've got by pressing on the headliner above my head whilst driving at those revs and managing to stop the vibration.

So I was all fired up to tackle the issue by dropping one side of the headliner and running a bead of silicone sealer between the roof and the reinforcing panels as others have described.

However, one of the threads (which I can't for the moment track down) reported that about a year after doing this, one owner claimed he could actually see a dent across the roof corresponding to the line of silicone he had applied the year before. As if the space being filled (even by a flexible filler like silicone) was sufficient to transmit the vibration which was still "trying" to occur through to the roof panel to the extent that it was deforming the roof itself.

This has made me a bit nervous to try the silicone sealant method and I wonder if anyone has tried using Dynamat or similar applied to the inside of the roof panels in an attempt to damp out the resonant frequencies responsible?

I'm not sure whether the Dynamat adhesive would be reliable under the full heat of the sun - although the same would apply with silicone sealant I suppose (or "No More Nails" as one owner has apparently used).

Would welcome any views on the subject especially if you've solved the problem on your own car.
Just use a few pieces of cushion foam carefully placed, job done.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 15:34   #4
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

I have used the "Silicone " method and this was several years ago.Living in France we have extremes of hot and cold and I have never had a problem with any deformation of the roof on my tourer

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 15:36   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I have used the "Silicone " method and this was several years ago.Living in France we have extremes of hot and cold and I have never had a problem with any deformation of the roof on my tourer
This method and a few strips of duct tape along the pressed steel edge of the roof support works well.
Old 9th January 2017, 22:20   #6
Djangoz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
As you say--" a resonant frequency"

It is probably being generated by being in Sympathy with another source.

The vibration is quite likely starting at the engine.

At the revs you mention the roof starts to vibrate at it's own Resonant Frequency which matches that of the engine.

Check the engine mounts. Maybe even move them a fraction.

You need to find the source of the problem and not just look at the results.-
Good advice but from trawling the archives it seems that few if any folks have solved this particular issue by attention to engine mounts. Indeed several have gone to the expense of replacing mounts only to find the problem remains. Maybe just an unfortunate issue with the tourer setting up an annoying resonant vibe due to a combination of factors. I don't feel my engine vibrates unduly even at idle so think I'll go with tackling the vibration at the "active" site!
Old 9th January 2017, 22:24   #7
Djangoz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Good to hear your experience in this case - I must admit I thought it was strange to hear of distortion occurring with soft silicone. Did you use any particular brand? Maybe the other guy used something semi setting like an acrylic mastic or something.
Old 9th January 2017, 22:28   #8
Djangoz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
This method and a few strips of duct tape along the pressed steel edge of the roof support works well.
Thanks for that - will see how it looks when I've dropped one side of the headlining. Only want to do the job once!
Old 9th January 2017, 23:29   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Roof pad liner

kitchen pad scourer ten in a pack for 50p, drop head lining a little and add two or three each side with the scourer facing down sponge touching the steel roof job done.

You can poke them in with a cane or long screwdriver Arctic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31FtTutessL.jpg (15.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14183.jpg (135.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14184.jpg (138.6 KB, 10 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 20th March 2018 at 09:59.. Reason: photo editing.
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 16:03   #10
2.8jonmy
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

A new lower engine mount fixed my 1800rpm roof vibration.
Jon.
2.8jonmy is offline   Reply With Quote