Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th August 2016, 12:58   #1
2.8jonmy
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

Talking Nearly a 75 owner

Hi all
I'm a newbie here but have benefited hugely room the wealth of information stored in his forum, so thankyou all.

I had hoped to be a rover 75 owner by now but the perfect car that i travelled a round trip of 175 miles for, turned out to be misrepresented by its seller who despite lengthy conversations prior to my visit thought I wouldn't notice the huge dents in the roof, broken blowing exhaust and totally failed engine mount. I offered him what I thought it was actually worth, not what we had previously negotiated over the phone and he kept telling me what auto trader said it was worth. Not impressed by the time and expense i had incurred as a result we left empty handed.
It's fair to say the trip was wasted but not a total loss. While I was test driving the 2.0 115 bhp estate I realised that i definitely want one.
I have always been a very loyal ford driver but think the classic lines, smooth drive and heritage of the last rovers produced may have just turned my head.
I've been looking to replace our trusty mk1 diesel focus for some 18 months now and extensive research trying to find the best value, most reliable and comfortable family car I could find sub 1000 pounds has led me to the conclusion, there is nothing out there to rival the 75!
So hopefully soon I will have joined your ranks.
Regards Jon.
2.8jonmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 13:01   #2
humptynumpty
Retired

Health

well let me welcome you to the family, this place is an awesome source of information and advice and most things are easily solved not only that out of all the forums ive been on this is by far and away the friendliest with everyone being like a big family
humptynumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 14:26   #3
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Welcome Jon.

So many have wasted journeys. Sellers can be less than accurate with the truth.

I would suggest you look at cars for sale on here in the cars for sale section but if you spot one anywhere why not ask on here for someone to take a look at it before you travel. It can be a great help and save a totally wasted journey.

Good luck but do take your time to find a good one.
Old 25th August 2016, 16:32   #4
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

I have a ZT for sale...

Spent £1200 on it less than 2 months ago, new tires, clutch, brakes, compensator, MAF etc.
Its a one owner from new (barring myself) ZT-T in starlight silver, interior is great too.

Few little scratches and one dent (door ding) in the door but otherwise spot on...
Although im after £1500 for her, which if you want something to last you the next 10yrs this will certainly do that!

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=249081

Just noticed the pics have gone walkabouts... will upload new ones later on tonight.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 17:36   #5
2.8jonmy
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

Many thanks for the replies.
Tomrs, that is a very gorgeous car and worth every penny but some 400 miles from me and beyond my current budget, so I'll have to pass but good luck with the sale.
Harry that is some sound advice that I normally follow but my hasty search has been influenced by a family trip to London this weekend. I've come to my senses however and hired a car now. So that means the heat is off and I can concentrate on finding the right car.
I've been looking at saloon 75's as they seem to offer excellent value for money compared with the slightly pricier estate version. I fear that this may be a compromise to far as I surf and have two young kids with car seats. A hatch allows the boards to go over the top but a saloon with folding seats may offer a compromised alternative, I'll have to see.
Thanks again for the warm welcome and advice, it's greatfully received.
Jon.

Last edited by 2.8jonmy; 25th August 2016 at 17:57..
Old 25th August 2016, 19:58   #6
Mason6
Loves to post

V6 Classic SE

Welcome to you Jon and I'm fairly sure that it won't be too long before you find what you're looking for on here!

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI in Starlight Silver which was the 49th out of 849 produced
Mason6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 19:40   #7
2.8jonmy
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

Well I have just driven home in a 75 tdci club se tourer! The trip was fun as there is no clutch but that's why I bought it, hehe.
The master cylinder is already new, I've bled it but there is still no disengagement, the fluid is not leaking so I think it's as I suspected a clutch replacement candidate.
Now I've read most clutch posts on here and have done clutches on other vehicles, so do not fear the work. I'd just like to know where I should get the clutch kit and slave from and how much it's gonna cost? Is there a better brand to go for? Do any traders to delivered options?
Thanks guys.
Jon.
Old 29th August 2016, 20:24   #8
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

Have a chat with mat at dmgrs.co.uk very good prices, and he delivers.
Go for the metal slave cylinder, it costs a bit more but will last a lot longer.
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 06:08   #9
2.8jonmy
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

Thanks, I'll be on it tomorrow.
Jon.
Old 30th August 2016, 20:23   #10
2.8jonmy
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

As recommended, I've ordered a clutch with uprated slave and also a full filter kit including pcv, these items cost more than the car! I'll get my oil locally.
Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.
Next on the list will be, sagging/loose door cards, electric wing mirrors that don't move, a few bits of body work, checking the plenum drains, a thorough clean, coolant flush and change, rear light that's wobbling around, frosted over headlamps and probably a whole host of other things I've not noticed yet. Oh and the kids pointed out that none of the cup holders work, the air vents in the back are broken and there is a trim missing from around the drivers inside door handle!
I've got until October to get her ready, any constructive comments gratefully received.
Jon