Old 31st August 2016, 18:48   #11
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason6 View Post
Had the BMW pulled over when signalled to do so .... end of
It was a black Ford Focus, the BMW was the police car, plus there were more than one (there is no need).

The Police should not give chase by directly following the vehicle, that alone is the cause of all these awful incidents/deaths. The driver/joyrider who is behind the wheel of the pursued vehicle is then fixed on adrenalin, its all down hill from there on.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 18:56   #12
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason6 View Post
... and your basing this on what evidence?

Unless you've been involved in this type of situation there's only opinion and you are, of course entitled to yours!

I absolutely agree a car is not worth the life of anyone however a knee jerk reaction is not always helpful and I would suspect that the officers involved in the pursuit will not exactly be feeling on top of the world right now!
Oh and I am assuming that if the pursuit vehicles were BMW's they would be manned by suitably trained and authorised traffic cops and not response drivers.
Had the BMW pulled over when signalled to do so .... end of
Apparently they caught their man and handcuffed him before going to the aid of those tapped underneath the car.

Statistically if you're going to be killed due to a police chase gone wrong, then it's more likely to happen in London. Perhaps that's due to the population head count, perhaps the built up nature of London but it's really a statistic the Met should be trying to do something about.

Yeah, whatever happened, and I'm not saying for a moment that the car thief is without blame, he absolutely should be held accountable, but the police also have to ask themselves is it worth the risk and in this case, it clearly was not.
Old 31st August 2016, 19:35   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady zed View Post
And so they should! They have a duty of care and the Met seem to have a terrible reputation for a gung ho attitude when it comes to car chases! I bet the pursuers had no training for that kind of situation but did it anyway.
err you are making assumptions about the police drivers, stop it!
looks like you are blaming the police for trying to catch a suspect.
If the police do not give chase then drivers know that if they don't stop they may well get away. how many helicopter's are available to the London or any county police to take on following drivers.

The police did not hit the pedestrians, I find it a little surprising that you seem to blame the police and not the driver that did the damage.

if police did not give chase then there would be members of the public up in arms.

police do let suspects go when they feel it is too dangerous, we don't know all the facts such as speed and how close the police were.

this is a dreadful situation

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 19:48   #14
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Yes you're right. It's wrong to make assumptions. Time will tell. And just to put the record straight. I am not exonerating the thief, he absolutely should be held accountable and charged with manslaughter but if there's even a whiff of unacceptable risk then the police should also be taken to task. The police have as many idiots as the general population does.
Old 31st August 2016, 19:50   #15
Mason6
Loves to post

V6 Classic SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
It was a black Ford Focus, the BMW was the police car, plus there were more than one (there is no need).

The Police should not give chase by directly following the vehicle, that alone is the cause of all these awful incidents/deaths. The driver/joyrider who is behind the wheel of the pursued vehicle is then fixed on adrenalin, its all down hill from there on.
Regarding the Focus I stand corrected sir!

Under "normal" circumstances in order to bring a pursuit to a satisfactory conclusion without anyone being hurt the requirement is 3 traffic cars for T-pack.

This is yet another very sad case and blame will be levied in all directions however situations such as this arise every day and have to be dealt with one way or another.

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI in Starlight Silver which was the 49th out of 849 produced
Mason6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 19:52   #16
Mason6
Loves to post

V6 Classic SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady zed View Post
Yes you're right. It's wrong to make assumptions. The police have as many idiots as the general population does.
Aye but polis are humans too

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI in Starlight Silver which was the 49th out of 849 produced
Mason6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 21:31   #17
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quote:

Police giving chase is the single cause of the incidents???

Sorry, but no. The single cause of these incidents is the single individual, taking from others, with no respect or care for others, men women children or otherwise.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 22:04   #18
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
Police giving chase is the single cause of the incidents???

Sorry, but no. The single cause of these incidents is the single individual, taking from others, with no respect or care for others, men women children or otherwise.
The criminal, the lawbreaker, will always exist.

Its how the law interacts with these criminals during the crime/incident is the cause for 498 deaths in the last two years.

There were 498 crashes involving a pursuit by Metropolitan police officers in London in 2015-16, up from 434 in the previous year.

You tell me why there is such need to pursue a joyrider at high speeds in built up areas. Todays technology has gone far beyond old school policing, we now have CCTV and ANPR cameras everywhere, DNA plays a huge part is crime today.

The story above states the Ford Focus was being pursued by police at the time of the collision, enough said.

That family would still be alive today if it was not for the police chase.

Last edited by Dallas; 31st August 2016 at 22:15..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 22:15   #19
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Its about time the courts dished out sentences worthy of the crime, you take a life, you should get life, not twelve years then out after six.

And... jails should be jails, not bloomin holiday camps with all the comforts for prisoners to enjoy, this is the only way the message will get across to the scum.
Old 31st August 2016, 22:21   #20
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quote:
The criminal, the lawbreaker, will always exist.

Its how the law interacts with these criminals during the crime/incident is the cause for 498 deaths in the last two years.

There were 498 crashes involving a pursuit by Metropolitan police officers in London in 2015-16, up from 434 in the previous year.

You tell me why there is such need to pursue a joyrider at high speeds in built up areas. Todays technology has gone far beyond old school policing, we now have CCTV and ANPR cameras everywhere, DNA plays a huge part is crime today.

The story above states the Ford Focus was being pursued by police at the time of the collision, enough said.

That family would still be alive today if it was not for the police chase.
I don't disagree with you in that there are possibly better ways of tackling
crimes like car theft in some instances, but the blame first and foremost lays with the retards committing the crime.

What would the public say if a stolen car raced past a police car, and the police didn't chase it?
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote