Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th May 2017, 21:18   #41
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Would really like to trust my 1.8 non turbo, but still not confident about coolant. Maybe paranoid, but not 100% confident. Lovely to drive does everything I need, but where is it losing water, about 100ml every 4-500 miles? New head and gasket, new water pump, no sign of any leak.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 21:22   #42
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

The scrapyard Tourer went up to PoL a few weeks ago, then up to Yorkshire for the National at Eden camp, total of about 1100 miles. Checked the coolant & tyres pressures and that was about it, so yes, I trust it.

However, I fill the tank every now & then and have noticed the diesel I put in seems to vanish after I've been driving for a while
Old 14th May 2017, 22:04   #43
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveconnolly View Post
just booked a camping holiday to Dawlish. need a towbar fitting for trailer tent,then away on july 16.going to be first long trip of aprox 360 miles each way from darlington in my 1800 non turbo club se.Really looking forward to a great no problem drive ,but will give it a check over before l leave home
That's cool, Dawlish just across the water from me. I got the train to Darlington to pick up the car, and drove it back to Exmouth.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 10:18   #44
Mason6
Loves to post

V6 Classic SE

Talking

I'm up and down to Stevenage quite often, 130 mile plus round trips most weeks however I do try to keep on top of the fluids!
I'm off to Cornwall for a holiday in October and know she'll take good care of us.
I trust my old girl with my life and as we know there's some barmy drivers out and about in southern Englandshire!!!!!

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI in Starlight Silver which was the 49th out of 849 produced
Mason6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 10:50   #45
Bigcul1
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Con SE

I would trust my Automatic Rover 75 but non of the manual 75's and ZT's I have had.
Bigcul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 12:55   #46
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I did just over 1000 miles in 5 days a couple of weeks ago without any issues at all. There was a time a few months after I bought it where I didn't really trust it to get to the end of the road due to the usual wet ecu/crankshaft pulley issues that diesels can have if not looked after.

Now everything's sorted out...... fine.

Do I trust it? I'm actually not going to say because it's poking fate a bit too hard - and it might be listening
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 13:28   #47
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

I never trust any vehicle completely, they are such complicated beasts that I always have in the back of my mind something breaking at some point, where it might cause mucho embarrassment.

Only one breakdown so far in the 75, otherwise it has been impeccable. That was the clutch master, which I had not long ago replaced with what seemed a better one, the billet alloy unit.

Over the years I have had a few breakdowns.

Numerous problems with points, a Lotus Cortina which ingested a nut from its carb. as I approached London. A rear spring on another Cortina. All and more fixed by me at the roadside.

A diesel which combined its pump and alternator, the pump leaked and wrecked the alternator leaving me stranded waiting to catch the ferry at Dover. A two month old car where the ECU just failed on the motorway.

Chuck in a few punctures plus minor failures which don't actually bring you to a stop.

No matter how well maintained, no matter how new, you can never be absolutely confident.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 17:00   #48
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I have found diesels utterly boring. ( Take big breath and hope)Montego diesel, Rover 220 sd and Rover 75 Cdt. All have performed impeccably. Longest journey was in the rover220sd through France to Agropoli in Italy. Covered 3700 odd miles in 2006, and if we had more time it would have been more miles. Averaged out around 50 mpg three up. Would do it again but don't have the filthy lucre. Cost of it has almost trebled since 2006.
Old 16th May 2017, 10:04   #49
frankson
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon auto KV6

Default Trust

On a long journey I would trust mine no less or more than a similar car of this age. I tend to hire decent cars when I have to travel any longish distance.
That's just my opinion though.
frankson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 11:08   #50
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Yes and No! Why I hear you ask? I have owned two rover 75's now, and the first went on two trips to europe where it broke down once leaving us stranded for two weeks. Lucy the first car broke down at a local sainsbury's, why? we never got to the bottom of it, may have been a fuel seal (according to the AA) or a dodgy fuel pump. For something so minor as a fuel seal to cause a fault we never trusted it again. My Ford Fiesta a hate to say has never broke down in the seven years I've owned it!

Just about to go to europe in Rover 75 CDT (car Mk2), and hopefully there will be no issues as we are doing preventative repairs to her now. The last time we went as I said we were stranded by a bad pulley, never again, but I guess its just the luck of the draw!