Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd June 2017, 06:38   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Perhaps It's Just Me?

On the BBC news this morning, from Dunfermline, a young lady, single mother, bemoaning her plight in having to pay a large percentage of her wages towards child care; intends to go to University, provided there are still free tuition fees. I know I'm lucky in the direction I went in my working life and am comfortable for the moment financially, but for goodness sake - take, take, take, and blame others for it.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 06:43   #2
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
On the BBC news this morning, from Dunfermline, a young lady, single mother, bemoaning her plight in having to pay a large percentage of her wages towards child care; intends to go to University, provided there are still free tuition fees. I know I'm lucky in the direction I went in my working life and am comfortable for the moment financially, but for goodness sake - take, take, take, and blame others for it.
At least the young girl is working and she should get some help

Other residents of this Great Country of ours get paid huge sums of money, and free housing yet nobody hardly mentions this

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 06:50   #3
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by w44nty View Post
At least the young girl is working and she should get some help

Other residents of this Great Country of ours get paid huge sums of money, and free housing yet nobody hardly mentions this
I agree, but the first question that comes to mind, possibly unfairly as I don't know the story, is "where's the child's father in the financial equation?"

Last edited by baxlin; 2nd June 2017 at 06:53..
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 07:37   #4
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Well round here there are girls who have had multiple children via multiple fathers as this is a way of them getting a home on the State.

Compare that to working for years to try to raise a deposit to buy a postage stamp of a home and where "your home is at risk if you fail to keep up the mortgage repayments" and you can see why having a few kids which results in a nice two or three bedroom home pretty much fully financed for you is an attractive option.

To me it is all wrong - the welfare state became - in some areas - no longer a safety net but more of a comfy armchair.

Contrast what this same welfare state does to disabled people - and even those on wages so low that Food Banks are a neccesity - and I get very angry when I see these single mums on benefits in our local nail bar having their nails done while their kids are at school.

Is it me or do those who work today and try to do the right thing get a very poor deal?
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 07:55   #5
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

I'm not sure I understand?

A single mum thinks it's wrong she has to pay so much of her wages for child care that she ends up in a worse financial position than her non working doppleganger?

A single mum, keen to better herself and increase her earning potential wants to go to university but only if tuition fees are free (as they were when the vast majority of us went?)

I was a single dad. There were times when I struggled to put food on the table for my sons, I took no help from the state. Child care didn't cost a fraction of what it costs now when they were bairns - the eldest is 24, the youngest is 22.

Child care costs have risen at 20 times inflation because of the changes to health and safety regulations, the introduction of crb and the mandatory requirements for certain qualifications for carers.

Nobody would suggest most of the advancements in child care aren't beneficial, and don't help keep the young ones safe, but equally, nobody should be priced out of the employment market.

The way to encourage people to work is to ensure that they're rewarded fairly for their efforts - when a young parent wants to work, or further their education, the state should support them over and above those who choose not to.

It is soul destroying to work 40 hours a week whilst trying to improve yourself only to find out that the Jeremy Kyle participant down the road who doesn't want to work, doesn't want to educate themselves has more disposable income than you do.

Darcydog asks a good question, what has happened to the dads?

Well, I'll tell you that my kids mum paid not one penny towards their upbringing nor did she ever even send a birthday card. The CSA tracked her down, ordered her to pay, she paid nothing. They were powerless to force her, she simply said she had no money, swore a financial declaration under oath, and they had no power to do anything.

Go after the irresponsible parents - support and applaud the responsible ones. People become single parents for all sorts of reasons - very few do it by choice.

If we're talking about people wanting something for nothing, we're talking about those who bring children into the world and aren't prepared to try and do anything to support them - we're NOT talking about those who want to work and want to better themselves.

There's a very clear difference between the two
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:09   #6
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Some sensible comments, and re-inforces the fact that probably with me, it's a case of "I'm alright Jack!"

Sorry if it touched a nerve with some.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:35   #7
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Some sensible comments, and re-inforces the fact that probably with me, it's a case of "I'm alright Jack!"

Sorry if it touched a nerve with some.
Not at all - with the election less than a week away it is a very pertinent subject.

I want my taxes to be used to help others in real need - because there but for the grace of God go any one of us.

What I object to is people being able to make living off the welfare state a lifestyle choice.

The single mum wanting to go to Uni may well be able to have more help to do so if it wasn't paying out the sums it does to the three single mums local to me that rather than go to Uni want to spend the income the state gives them in a nail bar.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:46   #8
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

When you see people on benefits on TV,they all seem to have Tattoo's (which cost a fortune) beer and fags.

Most of them look well nourished as well,its obvious that the benefits are too high

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose

Old 2nd June 2017, 08:49   #9
Mason6
Loves to post

V6 Classic SE

So correct me if I'm wrong here but if I want to be a millionaire I need to open a Nail Bar offering tanning instead of working myself into the ground and saving like mad!

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI in Starlight Silver which was the 49th out of 849 produced
Mason6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:51   #10
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason6 View Post
So correct me if I'm wrong here but if I want to be a millionaire I need to open a Nail Bar offering tanning instead of working myself into the ground and saving like mad!
And be a tattoo artist and sell cheap beer and fags

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose