Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th June 2017, 13:10   #21
Mason6
Loves to post

V6 Classic SE

Quality and looks

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI in Starlight Silver which was the 49th out of 849 produced
Mason6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 14:08   #22
Muttley
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+

Default What made you fall for the 75/ZT

Left the military and went straight into company cars, Mondeo Man rides again. Can't really knock 'em as they do what they are meant to do.

Finally got promoted and was now in Audi/BMW/Mercedes range, but it seemed so was everyone else.

I have always been the one who bucked the fashions/trends, and being an MG nut there was only one car for me.

My first was an MG ZT 190 (BL 52 KYK, hope you are still out there) had it for three years and loved it to bits (Anthracite/Alcantara/Straights etc etc) but was racking the miles up too fast and it was out of warranty.

Then MG Rover went under. Local Motorpoint had a pre-registered ZT 190 in Firefrost, BX 54 HUK, 40 miles on the clock (Longbridge to Derby?), 2 year warranty, and all for £11k!!!!

No Brainer! Handed the Black one back and had 9 perfect years and 107k hassle free motoring miles, sad to see it go, but couldn't justify keeping her with an MGB GT and Mini in the garage.

Finally went back into the Company Car Scheme (high mileage anticipated) and had an Audi A5, reliable, sensible, DULL, handles like a galleon. Soon as I could hand it back (4 years or 90k miles), back it went.

Now the happy owner of an 06 ZT 135CDTi, 100k on the clock and will last me the same again, and its more comfortable than, and as economical as the damned Audi!
Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 22:08   #23
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

I'm a Rover man though a lot between P6 & the 75 passed me by. Some of them now look more attractive to my eyes. Not all but some.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 22:24   #24
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
Now the happy owner of an 06 ZT 135CDTi, 100k on the clock and will last me the same again, and its more comfortable than, and as economical as the damned Audi!
What is the colour and reg?I'll keep a look out for you
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 07:37   #25
R75800sd1
Avid contributor

Rover 75s; 1 Diesel Tourer, 1 diesel saloon,

@ bogbrush82 was it a blue Diesel Auto Tourer by any chance? If it was my daily driver was a taxi in your neck of the woods:-). 235000 miles still going strong!

I`ve had Rovers since SD1`s and 825`s, then I had a company car. Changed jobs was soon back into the big Rovers. There`s still nothing better!!!
R75800sd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 08:58   #26
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

This may sound silly, but I honestly never knew the 75 and ZT's existed, I thought they were Jags.

I couldn't believe it when I saw the Rover badge, it was the Jag like appearance that got me wanting a saloon, especially the rear end with the smiley plate (I just had to have one).

The opulence shape and style these cars have along with the stylish tone combinations of the interior is what makes people smile when they step into one of these cars, its the luxuriousness feeling one gets.

I bought my first 75 which was a wedgewood blue, I loved it so much I went out and bought another in the same colour.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 22:22   #27
DRC66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 and 75 Tourer

Apart from the looks, comfort, walnut, leather, chrome, the growl of the V6 when pushed it's also for me the heritage.

I grew up in the '60's and '70's
In Birmingham. My parents had a variety of minis, maxi's and allegros. My mother had a brand new MG Maestro on a 1982 Y plate with the talking dash. Used to impress my friends with that. I joined the police and drove 800's.

For me the 75 represents all the fwd cars of BMC, BL, Austin Rover. It is the engineering pinnacle of a line of cars that everyone during those times owned or had travelled in. Were built in their millions and were on every street. Basically the final and by far the best product of the British mass produced car industry.

A present day link with the past. Oh and the only cars I've ever owned that I genuinely look forward to driving and looking back at once parked.

And a final thought. Was at the Borders Vehicle Automobile Club Classic car show last weekend. Over 700 vehicles in attendance. Got speaking to the owners of last years overall Champion. A concours winning 1953 Bristol 401. Rare, stunning, worth in excess of 6 figures. Their other car? A Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRC66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 17:09   #28
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

The Trophy Blue MG ZT.

I used to see the odd one about, and every time I saw one, I'd fall in love again. The lines of the car, the colour that sets off those lines so perfectly. The front of the car, the grill, the lights, both mark 1 and 2. All of it just seemed so right to me.
I have no idea why, I just wanted one. And then, when I needed a car, I had a choice and I just couldn't help myself, I got the 75. It's grey. The thing is, the serpent wheels kind of sold it to me. BUT...I still want the trophy blue MG ZT with the spoiler. I know the estate would be so much more useful, and I know the 75 is a technically more refined ride for my giant fat bottom to not have to squeeze into the bucket seats. And I know the leather is much easier to clean than the blue suede bits on the Alacantra seats. And I know I am rubbish at maintaining cars and cleaning and claying and polishing and blah blah blah. I wish I knew more about the engine as I would cut my left leg (okay, right hand little finger, maybe!) off to be able to service it, tweak it to 200bhp and improve it as so many on here have. But I can't. Hellfire, I can't even transfer my LPG system into it, let alone "improve" it in any way.

And yet, I love driving that car. I like to cruise and I like to put my foot down. I actually dusted off some old cassettes and have been reliving my 80's and 90's. It needs a DD unit, but right now I'm laughing at my tapes. It's the only car I have ever really WANTED, and found I needed no justification for buying it. I needed a car, I wanted an MG ZT, this was available and suited my body better and was cheap so I got it. Mates were telling me the head gasket would die. The car would break. The engine is rubbish. I ought to have brought a Mondeo. Once I fixed the leaks (I mechanic-ed!!!) and had the turbo pipe reattached (I couldn't even work out what was wrong ) that car is simply awesome.

BUT....one day, when I've lost 30 stone or so and my bottom fits in the seats, I WILL have a Trophy Blue MG ZT!!!!

No idea why, but that car does things to the things inside my underpants...
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 17:27   #29
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

BUT....one day, when I've lost 30 stone or so and my bottom fits in the seats, I WILL have a Trophy Blue MG ZT!!!!

No idea why, but that car does things to the things inside my underpants...[/QUOTE]

Do you mean something like this, had this one for about 7 years now, and still love driving it

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 21:35   #30
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Yes. Something like that indeed. Although couldn't see its' bottom to see if it had that awesomely sexy spoiler on which really, REALLY sets the bum of the car off perfectly. That's one thing about the 75 that I think really lets it down actually; the boot lid just seems to be missing that something. And that something is the spoiler they shoved on the ZT which brings all the lines of the whole car together.

But that colour is something else. I like the Firefrost red, and if it weren't for that blue, the firefrost would be my favourite. But that blue is deep enough to swim in.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote