Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th February 2017, 16:54   #11
Skyshark

Rover 75 Saloon

http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/Ro...p8hse.jpg.html
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/...psny66pyp8.jpg

JUST CLICK ON ONE AND YOU CAN SEE THE REST.

Last edited by Skyshark; 27th February 2017 at 18:24..
Skyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 16:57   #12
Skyshark

Rover 75 Saloon

Ignore this....click above for photos.

Last edited by Skyshark; 27th February 2017 at 18:26..
Old 27th February 2017, 17:03   #13
Bournemouth Eagle

Rover75 cdt

Thumbs up Wipers running on

Hi Skyshark, I to had similar fault to yours, could not figure out why, checked plenum so etc all fine drove for approx 4 days with fault whilst scratching head xploring forums etc when parked hooked washer stalk to cable tie through steering wheel . After 4 days fault disappeared been OK for 2 months now! Wierd!
Bournemouth Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 17:05   #14
Skyshark

Rover 75 Saloon

MarkS Looks as tho you may have been on track, although I am still unsure, if you read thread you will see what I mean, however I think I will take motor out and give it a good clean and WD40, as you suggested, it cant hurt. Even tho at mo it seems to be going ok now?
Will have to wait and see if it re-occours. Thanks

Last edited by Skyshark; 27th February 2017 at 17:13.. Reason: Name change
Old 27th February 2017, 17:10   #15
Skyshark

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bournemouth Eagle View Post
Hi Skyshark, I to had similar fault to yours, could not figure out why, checked plenum so etc all fine drove for approx 4 days with fault whilst scratching head xploring forums etc when parked hooked washer stalk to cable tie through steering wheel . After 4 days fault disappeared been OK for 2 months now! Wierd!
Strange! was tie to hold stalk upwards and stopped it? I didnt think of that! was dreading going shopping and come out to a flat battery!! so took terminal off. thanks if it happens again I know what to do!
Old 27th February 2017, 18:19   #16
simonk

Rover 75

Hadn't seen this thread but looks like you have been having the exact same issue as me! Was a filthy morning with driving rain while driving to work on the M4 so I'm just wondering if some damp has got in somewhere. Plenums fine, checked the hi-line CD unit, all dry, nothing in the spare wheel recess, even had the glove box out to check no dampness on the BCU - again nothing.

Only things I can think of now are:

1. I had the battery disconnected at the weekend, trying to get access to the throttle body to change/clean it ... might not have reconnected securely enough, although it looks pretty secure!

2. BCU is actually not attached to the bulkhead, clearly the plastic lugs that attach it to the bulkhead have snapped off at some point. So the BCU is loose behind the glovebox though suspect it's still fairly secure, it's pretty tight in there. Might be one to revisit with some no-more-nails tape to try and secure it a little better. Possibly not helping that it's rattling around ...

3. Somehow my car occasionally thinks it has a fuel burning heater despite being a V6 ... intermittently I get the option on the display to set the timer for the heater, so wonder if some tiny computer brain somewhere has become scrambled

4. Two of the clips holding the upper part of the plenum cover to the bottom of the windscreen are missing, I'm guessing that the clip holes might lead somewhere to some exposed wiring and these have leaked a bit today, but no evidence of any damp behind the glovebox. Will gaffer tape these up and order some new ones from Rimmers

Annoyingly I can't park the car right by my house so if the wipers and alarm decide to kick off tonight it will be someone else's sleep that gets disturbed .. which is all well and good until I find the car with a snotty note on the windscreen, or worse!!
simonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 18:47   #17
Skyshark

Rover 75 Saloon

Simonk: Well all I can suggest is to check that wiper motor, as explained further up my post by MarkS, I cleaned my connectors to the wiper motor as there is so many wires on that connection, due to auto wipers, rain sensors, etc. I gave it a light tapping (you know a thump! or two) with a small spanner to loosen any potential stuck components, and dislodge any wet from condensation which may have been shorting an inner terminal? and it seems to have sorted the prob for now, I have only just fixed this today, so cannot gauge what will happen for a week or so! but I hope that helps. Let me know how you get on, as it would be interesting, because I have spent hours on some cars in the past to find out it was the most simple of things, I had overlooked. Example: had a car second hand for a month, only took it local trips shopping etc, the first time I went further like 25 miles, it would not start again, no way, until it had been standing an hour, and got cold. After spending weeks checking sensors etc, I remembered that if that was to happen on an older car, without all these new auto electric stuff, say like a Mini Cooper, it could be the starter overheating, I changed the starter, and thats what it was, a solonoid overheating in the motor!! prob solved. Hope you sort it, it really is a pain! By the way, mine has fuel burner, and the timer control is in the compartment between the seats, looks and works like a travel alarm, you cant miss it if its there?? maybe thats the tiny computer brain, Dont know if it would be fitted to yours? Take the Earth terminal off overnight, and pop it back on in the morning thats what I did. or use cable tie as suggested in post earlier, although have not tried that myself.

Last edited by Skyshark; 27th February 2017 at 19:05..
Old 27th February 2017, 19:27   #18
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

TO SIMONK:
1) If the wipers won't stop, just pull relay R3 (green), or fuse F10 ((yellow, 20A according to Haynes manual), green, 30A as fitted to my car) in the engine fusebox, keep it safe in the car, and walk away in the knowledge that the wipers will not operate.
2) If I am right, the problem is where the wiring harness connects to the wiper motor. Any dirt there will hold water and allow electricity to track across from contact to contact. So the important thing is to clean off any dirt on the connector , especially between contact 1 on the top of the motor (brown/light green thinner wire) and any (of the) other (3) contacts or the chassis.

Last edited by MarkS; 9th March 2017 at 11:07.. Reason: Clarification of fuse rating
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 20:28   #19
Skyshark

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Update. I just went for a drive 21:00 now, I thought if it was wiring loom and I had somehow moved it to solve prob, maybe driving would slip it back into place where it normally sits! but as I was driving along it started to sleet, and my auto wipers kicked in! they have NEVER worked since I bought her! so maybe you were right MarkS, maybe some components inside wiper motor were stuck/corroded, I gave them a sharp tapping with a spanner, so maybe it loosened it up in there? so that is good, and the problem has gone?? will give it a thorough cleaning asap. Thanks Everybody who helpled.
Old 28th February 2017, 08:53   #20
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

does the car have a sunroof?
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote