Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th June 2020, 18:12   #1
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Default sony 10 dvd/cd changer

i think i already posted this in the wrong place, my 75 tourer i have just purchased has a sony 10 dvd/cd installed the roof the changer is in the boot with the sat/nav it has obviously been factory fitted needles to say it did not come with remote or earphones i am trying to trace a remote my question is can i get it to play through the cars speaker system if so what would be involved any advice much appreciated thanks in advance
geo.k23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2020, 21:53   #2
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Here is some background info on the OEM units as fitted by MG Rover, you can buy extra Sony headphones from eBay and also get an av connector lead to allow vision and mono sound to come out of the front Highline screen and speakers......

As part of the Monogram program in 2002, MG Rover Group started to offer a factory fitted DVD Player system made by Sony for both saloon and tourer variants of the ZT and 75. The original cost was an eye watering £2,500

So what did you get for your money?

The first units to be fitted consisted of a Sony 10 disc DVD changer model number DVX-100 that had a cartridge which strangely required the discs to be loaded label side down

Before being inserted into the player itself

If you didn't, the deck would not recognise the discs being loaded and would give you this error message on screen

I discovered this myself and have had several other members contact me when they experienced the same, believing their units to be faulty, be warned

The DX-100 player itself remained consistent for all cars, if you owned a saloon it was located on the left hand side of the boot space in a metal bracket covered by a plastic casing. On the top surface were three phono sockets for connecting separate units such as a Digital Freeview receiver or games console.

If you had a tourer, it was located on the right hand side of the rear load space in a two tier metal bracket with the sat nav (if fitted) located above it. Again, there were three phono connectors on top for adding extra video equipment.

In earlier mark one cars, the bracket for the tourer looked like this

And in later facelift tourers, it was changed slightly, exposing the previously hidden full set of video & audio ins and outs into the distribution amplifier below.

Both versions however were concealed behind a hard plastic cover for protection

Moving on to the cabin controls, the earlier cars were fitted with a manual pull down roof mounted Sony LCD monitor screen with built in speaker.

This was model number XTL-W70 and could pivot from side to side.

Here is one fitted to a car with a sunroof as well

The screen came with a Sony infra red remote control part number RM-X170

And had an analogue tuner (sadly now not useable), a separate input for a sat nav map feed (not connected on our cars) and two AV inputs. Video 1 was the feed from the 10 Disc DVD changer, and Video 2 was for anything connected to the three phono sockets on the top of the changer bracket. The screen was 16:9 widescreen in shape but could be switched to a 4:3 aspect ratio with the touch of a button.

Speaking of remotes, the DVD changer itself also had a seperate infra red remote control part no RM-X120

These are still available new, but are very expensive at £120, however a compatible version that works just as well is available from ebay for £10.49

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RM-Series...kAAOSwzINb6FOh

The system also has an additional corded remote panel mounted to the roof lining of the car (RM-X130) which controls the on/off power to the DVD in the boot, as well as play/pause and selection of discs 1-10 along with chapter selection.

As you can see, this was positioned above the heads of the rear passengers some distance from the screen itself

When the facelift cars were introduced, the roof mounted screens were updated with a motorised version which unlike their predecessor could not swivel. This was part number XVM-R75 and was squarer in design

And here's one fitted to a car with a sunroof. Notice how the extra remote (RM -X130) is no longer mounted seperately in the roof lining, but is combined with the screen housing on these units.

The remote for this version (RM-X123) looks like this

Finally, later in the production run of the facelifts, a third fold down screen was introduced. This was similar to the motorised system, but reverted to being manual only. Part number XVM-R70

The remote for this was RM-X122

All three systems worked well and gave stable images when the car was on the move. To listen to the sound, each set up came with two Sony Cordless headphones, the model numbers used were MDR-IF0140 or IF0230. they required one AA battery and would activate when placed on the head and switch off once removed.

Each type of LCD monitor screen also had its own small built-in speaker, but that really wasn't very audible once the car was moving.

It's worth mentioning that these systems were completely stand alone to the highline sat nav system if fitted to the car. So you couldn't get the DVD player to appear on the front monitor screen or via the car's speakers as originally built by the factory.

That being said, it is quite possible to achieve this without too much hassle retrospectively, in one of two ways should you wish to do so.

Firstly, a little transmitter module can be connected to the audio outputs of the DVD changer in the boot, along with a 12 volt power supply for it which will then modulate the sound of the Player onto an FM carrier wave, which the radio in the car can then tune to in order to feed the sound out of the car speakers. This frequency being 88.9 MHz FM.

The other way requires the purchase of an AV adaptor lead from here then running a video and audio phono cable over from the video module in the spare wheel well to the back of the DVD changer in the boot and then connecting it up to a feed of the output.

Then when you select Television from the highline menu display and go to AV input from the channel presets, you'll get pictures and (mono) sound on the screen in the front and from the cars speakers.

Of course, once the car reaches 5 mph, the screen will blank with a warning message about watching TV whilst driving, but you will still receive DVD sound from the speakers.

Again there are further workarounds for this, but that's another story
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2020, 05:25   #3
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

thank you for replying could you possibly help with another query my highline radio does not work cant get radio stations and the back light is very dim making it difficult to trad CDs play and Sat Nav works but hard to see thanks again
geo.k23 is offline   Reply With Quote