Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th October 2020, 21:06   #1
StephenEssex
Loves to post

2000 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur

Default Respray cost - 75 saloon

Hi has anyone here had their 75 saloon resprayed and if so how much did you pay? my car is very straight with no damage or dents, it is non metallic.

I'm thinking £2000 but wondering what anyone else has paid.

thanks
Steve
StephenEssex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2020, 21:11   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

It can be up at £12k depending on the paint, the prep and paint shop!!
Old 17th October 2020, 21:18   #3
StephenEssex
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
It can be up at £12k depending on the paint, the prep and paint shop!!
Thanks. actually just came across a post on here from a couple of months back someone asking this question.
Old 17th October 2020, 23:31   #4
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Depends how far you want to go with it.

I have seen superb re-spays for 2k, and some really bad ones for twice that amount. You need to shop about and see work they have done.

Just a few months ago while having some accident damage sorted on our other car, I asked him to look at my Rover with a few to having the paint sorted. It's pretty good, but has some lacquer damage here and there. I suggested a re-spray of the bottom half, up to the chrome trim. He quoted an unbelievable £450. If it turned out as good as the car we had fixed it would be quite passable if I was having the whole car done. If he was only doing the bottom half of the car, it wouldn't be quite on par with the Rover finish on the top half and would be noticeable.

The problem with re-sprays is we expect total perfection, far far better than the original finish! just take a look at the paint of most newish cars, the orange peel is very noticeable on most of them. If you paid for a re-spray and you saw orange peel you would be very disapointed, but it you bought a brand new car costing £££ and it had orange peel, you would except it.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 17th October 2020 at 23:53..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 10:34   #5
StephenEssex
Loves to post

Thanks all but my question was asking what have other people paid for their respray. I know you can spend thousands £££££ on this type of thing, I just wondered what anyone had paid for a respray and how good it was. thanks.
Old 18th October 2020, 10:37   #6
StephenEssex
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
Depends how far you want to go with it.

I have seen superb re-spays for 2k, and some really bad ones for twice that amount. You need to shop about and see work they have done.

Just a few months ago while having some accident damage sorted on our other car, I asked him to look at my Rover with a few to having the paint sorted. It's pretty good, but has some lacquer damage here and there. I suggested a re-spray of the bottom half, up to the chrome trim. He quoted an unbelievable £450. If it turned out as good as the car we had fixed it would be quite passable if I was having the whole car done. If he was only doing the bottom half of the car, it wouldn't be quite on par with the Rover finish on the top half and would be noticeable.

The problem with re-sprays is we expect total perfection, far far better than the original finish! just take a look at the paint of most newish cars, the orange peel is very noticeable on most of them. If you paid for a re-spray and you saw orange peel you would be very disapointed, but it you bought a brand new car costing £££ and it had orange peel, you would except it.
Some orange peel wouldn't worry me too much if you could see the state of mine currently The horizontal panels i.e. roof bonnet and boot are in a terrible state.
Old 18th October 2020, 12:08   #7
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

As has been said you can get a respray for anything from a Grand upwards. My mates body shop has recently completed a colour change on a Porsche and that cost the owner nearly £15k but has taken 3 months and it looks better than new.

The best advice I can give is look at the cars awaiting work outside, if they are all dealer part exchanges awaiting a tart up probably best run a mile. If on the other hand it is all high end and classics you are more likely to get a good job.

You also have to consider how much stuff is going to be removed or masked to do the work? If they are going to mask everything and there is vey little damage to be repaired that will be a lot cheaper than if they are going to remove every door handle, piece of glass and all the trim before repairing a dent in every panel.

Also some body shops will be happy for you to remove trim and bumpers before hand but you will also need to refit it once the work has been done.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 13:04   #8
Mason6
Loves to post

V6 Classic SE

Mine was done recently at a cost of £1200 for full body in the, or as close to, original colour.
I was quoted £1200 + vat or £1200 cash but I’ve been a customer for a very long time
If you shop around you can be sub-£2k but depending how deep your pockets are I suppose!

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI in Starlight Silver which was the 49th out of 849 produced
Mason6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 14:37   #9
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenEssex View Post
........ The horizontal panels i.e. roof bonnet and boot are in a terrible state.

Much of the cost for a re-spray is down to the amount of prep work that's required, so you'd need to factor in the condition of the panels. Best approach would be to have a friendly chat with a few local body shops and and outline your requirements / standards etc.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 15:52   #10
Adam2003
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur

Glad I’ve seen this thread. When I’m 18 next year I’m planning on full respraying my 75. It’s British racing green. Is this an expensive colour or would it be relatively cheap because of how common it is to get as Jags use it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam2003 is offline   Reply With Quote