Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th November 2020, 14:04   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Okay, I Admit It - I have HGF!

At the risk of someone turning this into some sordid political scandal, I have decided to come out into the open and tell those that care, my 1.8T tourer has burst it's gasket.

Having driven to my daughter and son in laws last weekend to get the sill properly repaired, i.e. welded, I assisted SiL and he did a very nice job, and caused me to declare that "I must keep the car for at least another two years".

I was aware that there was a lumpy idle, but having established no coolant leaks on the back of the block, alternately changed ignition coils, and checked the plugs, with a list of things to check when I got home I set off on the 120 miles.

Taking it steady, but in the annoying 30 mile 50mph limit of the M4 at the eastern end the temperature shot up to red, then dropped immediately, so I thought, maybe luckily it's just a sensor. With only three miles to go, things were getting "lumpier" in the running, and with half a mile to go, I thought "I cannot push this over the railway bridge", but limped into the parking yard with clouds of steam issuing from the front of the block behind the exhaust manifold. No management lights or warnings.

Over the last few days I have taken the head off and saw breaks in the inlet manifold gasket, but the head gasket was well knackered, with water in the pots (not full), but clearly the Covid lockdown has come at an opportune time.

I fully realize that by announcing this, I am inviting comments, all well intentioned I know, but it is clear that what worked for someone, may not be convenient. Any journies I make will be by public transport, but at least there's plenty of room to lug items with me.

My list of items that I have to get is increasing, but the head really needs a professional eye to assist further decisions.

I realize that any damage will have been caused by me not wanting to be recovered home. I doubt that the quality of my work will come any where near Beinet1's.

Last edited by planenut; 8th November 2020 at 14:06..
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2020, 16:04   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

First off, check the block and liners. Fix something to hold the liners in place before trying to turn the engine or you may have the liners popping off their seats (a length of hardwood over the tops held in place by G clamps will do if you don't have the correct holders). If the liners are OK, check if they are proud of the block and by how much. Are they all even? If all is OK, move on to the head. If you don't know what to look for, have someone who does as there are several points can fail. The DMGRS site has a list of pointers that may prove helpful in choice of gasket etc., once you have a good head to use.

Last edited by roverbarmy; 8th November 2020 at 16:06..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2020, 16:21   #3
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I did the HG etc on my R25 during the first lockdown over the weekends. It was at the requiring a top up of coolant every couple of weeks stage. Annoying, but not critical. This is everything I renewed:

+ the coolant, of course.
Old 13th November 2020, 15:34   #4
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Having opened up and dismantled, I fear that my cylinder head needs replacing, so in the search I have come across this, and just need to know that it will work in my Rover 1.8 turbo engine, after a tidy up?
MG TF 135 1.8 CYLINDER HEAD ALSO FITS 1.4 1.6 1.8 ROVER 45 25 75.& LATE MGF

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353272917705

Last edited by planenut; 14th November 2020 at 04:45..
Old 13th November 2020, 18:22   #5
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Having opened up and dismantled, I fear that my cylinder head needs replacing, so in the search I have come across this, and just need to know that it will work in my Rover 1.8 turbo engine, after a tidy up?
MG TF 135 1.8 CYLINDER HEAD ALSO FITS 1.4 1.6 1.8 ROVER 45 25 75.& LATE MGF
The head will fit but bear in the mind the 135 has different cam profiles which may effect running.

What's up with the existing head?
Old 13th November 2020, 19:11   #6
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
The head will fit but bear in the mind the 135 has different cam profiles which may effect running.

What's up with the existing head?
Thanks, outside of the ring indentations on the head, there is some pitting which is deeper than the "guide indentations", so may not hold the heat. Those mentioned rings are all deeper on one side so I suspect a dodgy previous skimming. Both blocks appear flat.
Old 14th November 2020, 08:21   #7
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Well I have a cylinder head in very good condition. Just got to collect from Farnborough Hants. It does not have cams and cam shafts so that should reduce the time for fitting after a clean.