Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th November 2020, 09:40   #11
Swordy
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 Saloon, Rover 75 Tourer

Default Was hoping

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Safer than to risk documents, I would ask to put it on retention, because then you are in control.
I was hoping the replies would be this is normal practice.

I got concerned when they asked me to send in the Log book ...I've paid a deposit now..so already in the buying process.

This is a quote from them;

"With this coming from a third party we cant release the paperwork to you due to data protection, we would now have to send the paperwork to DVLA to change the nominee and we hold it on a power of attorney until you are ready to transfer it there is no extra cost for this but is the only other option than assigning the reg"
Swordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 11:35   #12
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

The majority of dealers do not own the plates they advertise, so this is not an uncommon situation. But, still, be careful.

Conversely, dealers have had a couple of mine to sell for years - had virtually no interest, and had the nerve to say someone had offered £450 for one they had valued and advertised at £1,800, and would I accept the offer. No guesses what my reply was!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 12:21   #13
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Safer than to risk documents, I would ask to put it on retention, because then you are in control.
I can see why they want to do the transfer directly to the car, there will only be one £80 fee involved. If they were to transfer the plate to selling company then transfer the plate to you they would have to pay 2 lots of transfer fees.

There should not be a problem sending them your registration document as all that proves is that you are the “registered keeper “, a registration document is not proof of ownership.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 12:25   #14
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
The majority of dealers do not own the plates they advertise, so this is not an uncommon situation. But, still, be careful.

Conversely, dealers have had a couple of mine to sell for years - had virtually no interest, and had the nerve to say someone had offered £450 for one they had valued and advertised at £1,800, and would I accept the offer. No guesses what my reply was!
When I bought my V8 in 2005 I tried to buy MU55 ANG FOR £350 from the DVLA. I found it had been bought already by a dealer who offered it for £1200. I wasn't happy, but decided to go for it at that price and agreed to buy it. (I'd just saved over £10k on the car lol.)
Then I got told it was actually with another dealer and it was now £3500 for the plate. I despise that way of doing business so I passed. Last year I found MU55 ANG offered at over £50K, yet another missed opportunity .
So I ended up with MG53 ANG which I found for £500 ish (including exchanging the original SN55 JPJ). I actually enquired about 20 numbers in the hope it would make them think I was pretty casual about all of the plates. I think if they had suspected I was more than mildly interested in any particular plate, the price might have gone up!
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 13:19   #15
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post

A friend of mine has a 3 digit plate, xx1, which I saw advertised on the internet for a fee of £6000 - which for a 3 digit plate is mega cheap! When I next spoke to my friend I asked him why he was selling his plate, to which he replied "I'm not, but companies keep listing plates they don't have or can't get in the hope of selling you something when you contact them"!
Do you mean they randomly list his registration? If this is the case, I would request a SAR from them, stating they have one of his registration numbers advertised (which he does not disclose to them), therefore surely must have his details on file. I am not sure of the legality of advertising random registrations (false advertising, rather than any privacy breach), but it would ensure that he would not be cold called in an attempt to sell. Besides it would give him an opportunity to mess with them lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordy View Post
Hi,
Thank you for all the replies, the number plate is not on the DVLA website , it is currently registered on a car, the private owner has it on retention.

I've checked it out, I couldn't find a way of contacting the owner directly.

The company did have contact but of course won't share any details. Hence why I think they won't reveal anything.
Surely it cannot be on retention AND on a car?

They cannot give you the owner's details - the DVA cannot either unless for one of their accepted specific reasons (accidents etc)

Quote:

I got concerned when they asked me to send in the Log book ...I've paid a deposit now..so already in the buying process.

"With this coming from a third party we cant release the paperwork to you due to data protection, we would now have to send the paperwork to DVLA to change the nominee and we hold it on a power of attorney until you are ready to transfer it there is no extra cost for this but is the only other option than assigning the reg"
would they accept a photocopy? I can appreciate the V5 would need to have to be changed though. This use of the term power of attorney would concern me, as it sounds like they are over reaching. I can see how they would be responsible to make sure it was being placed upon a vehicle capable of receiving the number (age, vehicle type etc), and hence their 'control'. However, once they sell it to you, then surely they simply need to make sure you sign a disclaimer, that you are aware of the rules and legitimacy? ie put it onto retention on your behalf? This I could see having issues with GDPR if they were dodgy and did not have the appropriate standards in place for data handling (which you could ask them for )

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
So I ended up with MG53 ANG which I found for £500 ish (including exchanging the original SN55 JPJ). I actually enquired about 20 numbers in the hope it would make them think I was pretty casual about all of the plates. I think if they had suspected I was more than mildly interested in any particular plate, the price might have gone up!
how about MG57ANG? Did the car ever spend time registered in NI, then this plate would be a possibility

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 14:19   #16
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Whichever way you do it, do not give your V5 to anyone but DVLA at their well known public address. No matter what they say.
Old 18th November 2020, 17:13   #17
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

In my opinion what the number plate dealer seems about right.
The transfer of registrations has changed since the local vehicle licencing offices shut down.

You used to be able to transfer a certificate of entitlement to someone else by paying a fee.
Now it is not so straight forward, as the entitlement remains with the "grantee", but he will be able to nominate someone else on the certificate, the "nominee".
His right to the number ceases when the nominee transfers the registration to a vehicle.
Up to that point, as the grantee, the certificate remains under his name and address.
I have been through this process.

The following links will certainly explain it better than me!

https://www.simplyregistrations.co.u...inee-explained

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehi...ber-to-someone

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 17:32   #18
Swordy
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 Saloon, Rover 75 Tourer

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
In my opinion what the number plate dealer seems about right.
The transfer of registrations has changed since the local vehicle licencing offices shut down.

You used to be able to transfer a certificate of entitlement to someone else by paying a fee.
Now it is not so straight forward, as the entitlement remains with the "grantee", but he will be able to nominate someone else on the certificate, the "nominee".
His right to the number ceases when the nominee transfers the registration to a vehicle.
Up to that point, as the grantee, the certificate remains under his name and address.
I have been through this process.

The following links will certainly explain it better than me!

https://www.simplyregistrations.co.u...inee-explained

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehi...ber-to-someone

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Thank you Bob for your reply.
Cheers
Paul
Swordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 17:42   #19
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Life used to be so much simpler when you could just go to an office and just got things done.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2020, 21:26   #20
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:

Have you signed ‘Power of Attorney ‘ documents?
Do you know what ‘Power of Attorney’ is for? I would be over the gate and away I’m afraid.

Last edited by bl52krz; 18th November 2020 at 21:30..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote