Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd November 2020, 14:00   #1
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Question Scuttle rejuvenation?

Here's part of my front scuttle lying on top of a pollen filter frame to show the contrast in colour.

The scuttle gets all the weather and has faded (or maybe even oxidised), whereas the filter housing never gets the sun and is still as black as the day it left the factory.

The question is: what's the best way to rejuvenate the scuttle? Someone must have found a something that actually works.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 14:24   #2
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Heat! a hair dryer or a carefully used hot air gun will work, I did mine a while back and just use a smear of olive oil to keep it that way.
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:57   #3
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

I have used groundnut oil and olive oil to get the shine back and it seems to work - but needs re-applying every few months.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:28   #4
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

I washed and cleaned mine down and used black bumper spray paint, it came up well and hasn't faded at all. Probably did it a couple of years ago now.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:50   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
I washed and cleaned mine down and used black bumper spray paint, it came up well and hasn't faded at all. Probably did it a couple of years ago now.
I can see that your solution is the best way to go. Trying to rejuvenate the faded plastic I think will be difficult to get it back to an original black colour.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:24   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

this was posted elsewhere, recently, but has been posted on this forum in the past. Seems to be the 'most permanent' solution (1-2 years realistically between applications)

https://www.gtechniq.co.uk/shop/auto...trim-restorer/

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 19:40   #7
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Having used Gtechniq I can say I was rather impressed with it, actually surprisingly good after some time, easy to apply and gives a nice finish, just a shame the bottle was small.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:43   #8
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Wash the car as normal and then use Autoglym Bumper and trim on all the outer plastics. Will turn them back to factory colour straight away and lasts a good few months before it starts to fade out again. When that happens its just another application of it. Takes nothing more than a cloth and a wipe to apply, don’t even need to rub it in.
Old 24th November 2020, 14:16   #9
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks all - quite a few different solutions/methods there. I'll give one or more of them a try and see what happens. The scuttle is off the car at the moment so at least it'll be easy to treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
Heat! a hair dryer or a carefully used hot air gun will work, I did mine a while back and just use a smear of olive oil to keep it that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
I have used groundnut oil and olive oil to get the shine back and it seems to work - but needs re-applying every few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I can see that your solution is the best way to go. Trying to rejuvenate the faded plastic I think will be difficult to get it back to an original black colour.--
Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
this was posted elsewhere, recently, but has been posted on this forum in the past. Seems to be the 'most permanent' solution (1-2 years realistically between applications)

https://www.gtechniq.co.uk/shop/auto...trim-restorer/
Gtechniq seems popular but very pricey (£22 ish for 15ml).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Having used Gtechniq I can say I was rather impressed with it, actually surprisingly good after some time, easy to apply and gives a nice finish, just a shame the bottle was small.
Mick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
Wash the car as normal and then use Autoglym Bumper and trim on all the outer plastics. Will turn them back to factory colour straight away and lasts a good few months before it starts to fade out again. When that happens its just another application of it. Takes nothing more than a cloth and a wipe to apply, don’t even need to rub it in.
Autoglym seem to have two different versions - Bumper & Trim Gel and Bumper & Trim Detailer. They've also got Black Dye Spray but it's got mixed reviews.

I did wonder about thinners mixed with satin black paint and rubbed on but I haven't had the nerve to try it due to risk of dissolving the plastic.
(Thinners & boiled linseed oil crops up on the internet.)

Last edited by Blink; 24th November 2020 at 14:23..
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2020, 14:49   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post

Gtechniq seems popular but very pricey (£22 ish for 15ml).

Autoglym seem to have two different versions - Bumper & Trim Gel and Bumper & Trim Detailer. They've also got Black Dye Spray but it's got mixed reviews.

The GTechniq is incredibly expensive per ml. It is my issue with getting it lol. But it is supposed to be very long lasting by comparison to the others.

AG bumper gel is what you need for this task, but buff it off, if you dont, it can leave streaks when it rains. I hate using it, and hate doing the plastic, but it still is the best I have tried so far. I do intend to get some of the Gtechniq stuff in the new year though, simply because I do hate to do the plastics.

Overall if the GTechniq stuff lasts two years, it is probably the same value as the AG bumper gel. per ml (for the same effect). The GT is around 40 times more expensive, but if it did truly last two years, and it meant only having to apply it once every two years (even a year) I would be happy to pay it.

The trim detailer is primarily for interior plastics. It will do the exterior plastics, but it will not last a week in the rain. I use a similar product for the tyres in a spray bottle (Carplan trim shine), spray it on, wipe excess off wheels, and leave to soak on the tyres. At £15 a gallon, it is cheap. I find it as good as the AG version though for interior plastics.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote