Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th October 2017, 11:54   #1
Steven.walsh
Loves to post

MG ZT CDTI 2005

Default Mg zt highline sat nav screen no display

Hi folks hope we all fine and well.

I have a MG Rover ALPINE Sat nav Highline head unit and screen display never came on yesterday. Everything works but no display. Have connected and disconnected all wiring in the boot foot well, oh and footwell and boot bone dry.

Have tried to get head unit out from inside car by undoing screws at top of unit but unit will not pull out, was just trying to make sure all connected properly, any ideas how to get head unit out and why no display, assume it's just gone with age......

Many thanks
Take care
Steve

Last edited by Steven.walsh; 21st October 2017 at 08:25..
Steven.walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017, 13:04   #2
dbt01
Retired

Before you try to get it out, make sure the right-hand knob, the on-off one, has not stuck in. Wiggle it and pull GENTLY.

If that's not the problem, you may indeed need to get it out. The centre-most knob pulls off (sometimes with difficulty, but it will pull off). That reveals a small hole into which you should insert a small screwdriver to engage with a screw which you should turn 1/8th to 1/4 turn (shine a lamp in there so you can see the end of the screw to help poking the screwdriver into the right place). The screw is attached to two wires which release latches on each side of the unit when turned. With your third hand(!) pull the whole unit out whilst maintaining the turn on the screwdriver and the latches released. Once the latches are released it may pop out of the latches all by itself.

It is a bit easier than it sounds!

David

Last edited by dbt01; 20th October 2017 at 13:09..
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017, 13:10   #3
Steven.walsh
Loves to post

MG ZT CDTI 2005

Many thanks David I would have never figured that out, will defo try right hand knob first, wouldnt that be a coup��
Old 20th October 2017, 13:55   #4
dbt01
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven.walsh View Post
Many thanks David I would have never figured that out, will defo try right hand knob first, wouldnt that be a coup��
If you do need to remove the head-unit, you should know that the centre knob can be very stiff, but it will come off with pulling, wiggling and maybe a bit if gentle levering. I would warn that the latch release screw is made of alloy (Mazak ?) of all things, and too big or small a screw driver or too much “welly” when turning can break it; I did once!

David

Last edited by dbt01; 20th October 2017 at 14:26..
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 18:01   #5
Steven.walsh
Loves to post

MG ZT CDTI 2005

Cheers David got the head unit out.

So now I have checked all connections around the car, in the boot and inside the car. It does look like the x2 equipment in the boot footwell have experienced moisture but not been flooded as their is minor evidence of rust.

Just to confirm radio works fine but no display albeit the back illumination is working.

When I disconnect the upper most connector on the head unit now it's out of the dash the display goes white with some black lines and a small amount of colour to the white back ground.

I have read this could be something to do with the k-bus I think it was. To check the black/blue/yellow wire as is thin and can break get damaged, this can be found conning from the black chunky connector from the head unit, not really sure what I'm looking for now anyone any ideas regards this, I have checked all the wires from the two plug in connectors of the head unit, they look ok but not sure how to check. Have wiggled everything when connected up but makes no diference.

Anyone any advice on what to try next.

Thanks

Last edited by Steven.walsh; 22nd October 2017 at 18:19..
Old 22nd October 2017, 19:53   #6
david2000
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

hi steven
is there a power light on the cd/dvd unit and when you open the boot can you hear the fan coming on on the video unit
all the best david
david2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 21:01   #7
Steven.walsh
Loves to post

MG ZT CDTI 2005

Cheers David will check tomorrow
Old 23rd October 2017, 19:44   #8
Steven.walsh
Loves to post

MG ZT CDTI 2005

Yes there is the red power on light on the Sat nav disc unit in boot of the car on drivers side and can eject and insert disc but don't think you mean that?.

The CD player in glove box does not have a light on but when I select the mode switch on head unit it goes from radio to CD and plays the CD and can hear the CD changing if I select a different CD.

What I did notice David that when selecting the mode switch I would go from radio to CD on a press, next press nothing all goes silent then press again and get radio, so assume there are 3 mode settings but one not working. This is repeatable. By this I mean 2 selections get a response the 3rd no response.

Cheers

Last edited by Steven.walsh; 23rd October 2017 at 19:47..
Old 23rd October 2017, 20:58   #9
david2000
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

hi steven
when you unlock the car and open the door and you but the key into the ignition and turn the ignition on does the splash screen come up on the screen and you say the display unit has no display and it is completely blank is this correct
all the best david
david2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2017, 21:52   #10
Steven.walsh
Loves to post

MG ZT CDTI 2005

Yes that's correct David the screen has back light illumination as soon as you put the key in the ignition even if head unit off, switch it on and radio plays and background screen still illuminated but screen totally blank.
Kind regards
Steve