Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st May 2018, 09:54   #31
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

There's something really wrong here.

I've lost count the number of springs I've fitted to these cars & never had a problem like this. Using just decent standard spring compressors too, nothing fancy.

If all else fails, fit a complete used strut already assembled.

Last edited by mh007; 31st May 2018 at 09:57..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 10:37   #32
howardf
Regular poster

ROVER 75 SALOON

The hard work has been done in removing rhe bottom pinch bolt!
I can't understand why he is struggling... I managed with some standard Spring compressors fine.
howardf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 12:21   #33
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

I would just remove them and do it yourself... there is many guides.

Buy a set of compressors and sit one saturday on the driveway with your jack and some tools (if you can)

Or barring that speak to Jules and see if he can offer some sort of replacement/exchange service.
I'm not sure its difficult to suggest things when its such a straight forward job, as said the hard bit is removing the strut...... and thats done.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 14:40   #34
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Well, got the car back.

They apparently spoke to Jules and he's too busy but gave them the name of a garage he knows. It's a bit too far for me to drive with a broken spring and a space saver tyre though. Maybe if I can get the struts off, i will take them. only the nearside was removed so I will still have to struggle with the offside but apparently it came off easy enough with a little heat.

I am waiting to hear back from a friend who knows a guy who may be able to do it, he builds grass track cars so should be brave enough. ;-)

Currently considering fitting a complete used strut as a temporary measure so at least the car is usuable while I find somebody who can swap the springs or buy some tools, get brave and do it myself. Not too easy to find a complete strut on ebay though, mostly they are listed just as fitting both rover 75 and MG ZT so pretty much useless.

Last edited by EdgarDonaldBalls; 31st May 2018 at 15:52..
EdgarDonaldBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 19:16   #35
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarDonaldBalls View Post
Well, got the car back.

They apparently spoke to Jules and he's too busy but gave them the name of a garage he knows. It's a bit too far for me to drive with a broken spring and a space saver tyre though. Maybe if I can get the struts off, i will take them. only the nearside was removed so I will still have to struggle with the offside but apparently it came off easy enough with a little heat.

I am waiting to hear back from a friend who knows a guy who may be able to do it, he builds grass track cars so should be brave enough. ;-)

Currently considering fitting a complete used strut as a temporary measure so at least the car is usuable while I find somebody who can swap the springs or buy some tools, get brave and do it myself. Not too easy to find a complete strut on ebay though, mostly they are listed just as fitting both rover 75 and MG ZT so pretty much useless.

I can’t offer anything more than has already been said other than to say, I’ve just bought two complete strut assemblies from Mickyboy, a trusted member and trader on here. If that’s a route you choose to follow I’m sure he could help source the correct one for your car. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 00:50   #36
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Hi Adam,
Had this problem 18 months ago! Took my struts to my local mechanic to remove springs as he had the "proper" kit to do it. Long story short did them myself with old spring compressors and extra ad hoc tool made up to take up the "slack"
ZT springs are quite short, be brave not too difficult.
If you can`t get anyone to do them near you, I am in st helens (not to far) and can give you a hand (confidence to do them).
Regards
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 16:34   #37
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilll View Post
Hi Adam,
Had this problem 18 months ago! Took my struts to my local mechanic to remove springs as he had the "proper" kit to do it. Long story short did them myself with old spring compressors and extra ad hoc tool made up to take up the "slack"
ZT springs are quite short, be brave not too difficult.
If you can`t get anyone to do them near you, I am in st helens (not to far) and can give you a hand (confidence to do them).
Regards
Neil
I'm now planning on replacing the shocks at the same time as they are quite old and one has a bit of a leak, they will need doing some time soon so may as well get it all done in one go to save going through this mess again.

If complete struts were available, it would simplify the whole process but all that seems to be available for the ZT are 1.8 petrol struts which will make it sit lower and make who knows what difference to the handling so would rather stick to the right spec.

I have made sure the pinch bolts are able to be loosened (and pulled a muscle in the process) so I can remove the struts and take them to a pretty old school chap who should have no problem getting the springs compressed even if he has to use some unorthodox practices. I'm hoping he can fit me in soon but he's pretty busy.

If he lets me down, I may take you up on your offer
Old 2nd July 2018, 21:02   #38
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Angry

bit of an update because I don't like leaving threads without updates or conclusions.

I have been too unwell to get out and remove the struts myself so have been calling around local garages.

I have yet to find one willing to fit the parts I supply.

I asked a few to get me a price including parts, only one garage managed to find shocks but told me there were quite a few options and didn't know the correct one (I told them where to find the info in the future but they didn't seem to care) all the others said they were either out of stock or no longer available. Two garages found some springs and would tell me the part number, both were wrong, one was a 75 part, the other listed every model of ZT including 1.8 as compatible (i forget the brand, it was one I had never had heard of). the others said they couldn't tell me the part numbers and that their suppliers know the right parts so I don't need to worry.

the one that could actually find the shocks wanted nearly a grand to do the job including parts, can't afford that, especially since I have already spent nearly £300 on parts. Even if I can return the parts I have, that's still way too much to pay to possibly have the wrong parts fitted.

I'm pretty NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- off at the whole situation right now. Still have one more place to try but I don't have much hope.
Old 2nd July 2018, 21:18   #39
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

Sorry to butt in, but I use Jules all the time and drive to him from Dorset. Strongly advise you to call him in the morning or pm him now. He is extremely helpful and goes out of his way to assist.
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018, 21:25   #40
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Tom,

What is this AMG in your signature?

Is that colour factory finish?

I'd love a C63 estate, looks like the E63 is too pricey.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote