Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th September 2008, 18:49   #21
wptk999

MG ZT

Default The final steps!

Finally got a navigation CD via ebay - the last piece of the upgrade puzzle, or so I thought.......

The CD was fine, and I finally had the navigation menus and could input a route.
Only the nav system wouldn't show the car moving - it thought I was still on my drive.

After bit more head-scratching, and using the service mode (very useful!), I realised there was no wheel sensor data. No connection to the ABS system.

According to all the diagrams, I shouild have had either a conenction in the original low-line head unit connectors or a separate connector to the main harness.

No such luck! Decided to trace the elusive slate/green wire from the ABS unit. I suspected it might not have been there but, having taken out the battery and dismantling the big connector, there it was.... Now, according to the wiring diagrams, that particular wire goes only to the sat nav,and nowhere else.

But could I find it inside the car? Absolutely not! I finally resorted to some acrobatics and pulled apart the loom under the dash (behind the glove box, where it comes through from the engine bay). There are several slate/green wires under there (door mirrors and speakers, to name a couple!) but I eventually found the right one and bingo! Working satnav.

I have no idea where the wire ends up, I'm not about to rip out the whole dash to find it. :lol:

The navigation now works just fine, although the maps do look a bit dull compared with the Garmin maps on my mobile 'phone. It's nice to have the spoken directions at a decent volume though!

Now, being me and liking a challenge, I'm wondering if it's possible to upgrade the software in the Mk3 satnav computer? Or am I looking at fitting a Mk4 satnav?

And how do I enter addresses using postcodes? Or is it not possible?

My next challenges are to find (or make) the harness to install the reversing sensors and to see if I can install cruise control. Anyone know where to buy the proper connectors for the reverse sensors?

Bill Kelly
Focus C-MAX 2.0
1965 Daimler V8[SIGPIC]
wptk999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 18:55   #22
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

You can only Upgrade software on the MK3 if it is a BMW MK3 not a Rover/MG one I'm afraid.
A MK4 can be updated of course.

Postcode searches are available only for first 5 Digits of Postcode and only if Disc and software support it.
In First section of Setting up address thats where you enter the Postcode if available.
If no numbers shown you haven't got correct disc or software.

In the "set" menu do you have split screen facility?
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 04:40   #23
wptk999

MG ZT

Default Nav upgrade

John,

Sadly, I have a Rover Mk3.....and no split screen option on the Setup menu.

Looks like another visit to eBay will be needed:lol:

Bill
Focus C-MAX 2.0
1965 Daimler V8[SIGPIC]
Old 10th September 2008, 23:30   #24
damydyo1
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Hello Bill,

I have been there and have read your story with pleasure in recognizing all the effort to succeed. You also did it and will hopefully encourage other members.

Be proud!

By the way: my thread http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ghlight=satnav ended with finishing the job exept for the live connection on the K-bus interface so my steering wheel remote controls didn't work as also the GAL function and all. It lasted 1 whole year to fix this finally because the Mrs wouldn't allow me to dismount the dash again!!! The job only cost 10 minutes. I fixed it during our holiday in Spain as she happened to be at the beach.......

I wish you a lot of pleasure with your reborn satnav. More related projects please for the high line (MP3/SD/USB, video DVD screens in headrest, reverse camera, converters to DVD equipment....?)

Regards Ralph
damydyo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 13:15   #25
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Any freeview decoder with a 12V supply should do.
The problem will always be providing a decent signal.

The tiny aerial in the corner in the rear screen is hardly adequate for analogue let alone DVB

When I installed Hi Line nav in my V8 I did not even have the rear screen connectors so I used a normal portable TV aerial which was ok for analogue (just)

You can see it along the parcel shelf here

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 06:03   #26
wptk999

MG ZT

Default TV and stuff

Thanks to all for your interest in my progress!

I'm still deciding which route to follow for Freeview - I'll let you know when I decide. I had a minor issue with teh TV antenna - my car must originally have had a very basic ICE setup because the rear screen has no connectors for the tv antenna. So I just used some insulated wire and hid it under the trim around the rear window. Works a treat! In theory, it shouldn't work (not tuned to the right wavelength and all that) but the TV system and the little antenna connector must be quite insensitive to such things and so it works OK.

Still need to try it out on digital though - that is more sensitive to such things. Still, as I don't intend to try watching tv while I'm driving, it won't be such a problem!

I've bought a cd to upgrade my satnav software (it's a Mk3 unit). The cd is a BMW one and the label says Sat Nav O/S upgrade V31 and says it will upgrade a Mk3 to 3-1/63. Anyone tried this? I'm not too bothered if it won't work as the cd wasn't that expensive, but I would like to try!

Other than me still working out out to work the sat nav it all seems to be working just fine. Except I think I could do with upgrading the speakers now I have the Harmon Kardon amp in the boot.....and a sub-woofer would be nice.....

One day I'll get it finished!

Bill Kelly
Focus C-MAX 2.0
1965 Daimler V8[SIGPIC]
Old 20th September 2008, 11:09   #27
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

Default Another one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duotone View Post
Well done Bill..

Its a bit of a exclusive bunch of 75 owners who have completed this task.

Fellow members who have upgraded to Hi Line sat nav.

Myself [Duotone]
damydyo1
The Bear
wptk999

There may be other members who have successfully completed the upgrade, perhaps they can be added to the list..

Dave T
You can add me to list - I'm almost there
Everything connected and works - trims need refitting and I need to transfer Nokia phone kit from the old loom to the new one.
Oh and while I have everything in bits run a power lead to the boot for a accesory plug
MN190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 14:59   #28
wptk999

MG ZT

Default Before I mess up my satnav...

Just been reading some earlier posts and saw a reference to the Rover Mk3 satnav unit not able to be upgraded.

As I just bought a BMW software upgrade cd that claims to work with Rover units, can somebody tell me if I'll wreck my system if I try to install the new software?

If it was a computer, I'd back up the system but as it's not, I thought I'd better check!

Bill Kelly
Focus C-MAX 2.0
1965 Daimler V8[SIGPIC]
Old 21st September 2008, 17:48   #29
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

If it is a Rover Sat Nav MK3 software cannot be updated,
If a BMW MK3 software can be updated.
To add further confusion late 2004 and 2005 models had BMW MK3 units marked Rover on Label and can be updated.

You shouldn't damage/wreck your unit by trying to update Version number software.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2008, 18:35   #30
wptk999

MG ZT

Default Tried, and failed.......

Johndotcom,

Thanks for the advice - tried the upgrade disc and the system just refused to recognise it.......I will have to buy a BMW unit!

Incidentally, I passed through your neck of the woods this weekend on my way to and from Anglesey to visit my in-laws. I've spent loads of time in North Wales - used to install telephone exchanges for a living!

Nearest to you was probably Llanfairfechan - before they built the new road....which dates me somewhat!

Bill Kelly
Focus C-MAX 2.0
1965 Daimler V8[SIGPIC]