Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st January 2018, 23:04   #1
south bank
Avid contributor

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE Saloon (Pre-Facelift)

Default Lost only key. New key and T4 people in Wolverhampton?

I've lost the only key to my beloved 75.

I parked it up last year after another head gasket failure and I really want it running again.

The battery is flat obviously and I've broken in to get some belongings and open the bonnet the nice way to retrieve the battery, but I now need to obtain a key, cut correctly and get this programmed to the car.

If a spanking new key from the local ex Rover, now Ford place is the only way and no one on here can help me, so be it, but I'm then in need of a T4 person in Wolverhampton.

Are any of you kind people able to help?

Real Wood Dashboard, Chrome Bullet Mirrors, Real Leather Armrest,1.8 Torpedo Badges, Rear Lamp Access Panels, Driver's Grab Handle, Footwell Wall Carpet, Real Leather Handbrake, Rear Ash Tray, Seatbelt Bolt Anchor Caps, Original Cigar Lighter, Original Door Reflectors.
south bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 08:59   #2
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 v6 in firefrost red

Quote:
Originally Posted by south bank View Post
I've lost the only key to my beloved 75.

I parked it up last year after another head gasket failure and I really want it running again.

The battery is flat obviously and I've broken in to get some belongings and open the bonnet the nice way to retrieve the battery, but I now need to obtain a key, cut correctly and get this programmed to the car.

If a spanking new key from the local ex Rover, now Ford place is the only way and no one on here can help me, so be it, but I'm then in need of a T4 person in Wolverhampton.

Are any of you kind people able to help?
Get onto one of the t4 guys on here, you'll be amazed what they can do!
There is a list of the wizards on here, I think its at the top of the tech forum.

Steve.
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:50   #3
jordimussol
Avid contributor

2005 MG ZT & 1996 MGF

Why not a key and locks off a scrapyard? Only driver's door and ignition barrel, right?
jordimussol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:03   #4
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordimussol View Post
Why not a key and locks off a scrapyard? Only driver's door and ignition barrel, right?
Lot more to it than that. This was posted by BigRuss about a similar situation, only key lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
Yes I'd advise anyone who hasn't got a spare to have at least a key blade cut that would have made things easier The locks, drivers window glass and steering column wouldn't have needed changing. All that would have been needed would have been a new transponder coding into the immobiliser and replace ment remote board.

What a lot of owners don't realise is that if it was last locked on the remote then even if you smash a window you can't open any of the doors from the inside

You can't replace the ignition barrel without the key either! If you try and drill it out unless you're very careful there's a weak spot built into the steering lock that will break leaving you unable to disengage it even after the remains of the lock are removed.

So if you've only got one key and keep putting it off, my advice is to get a key cut

Thanks Paul for the numerous cups of tea and coffee they helped keep out the cold nicely :-)

Russ

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:06   #5
jordimussol
Avid contributor

2005 MG ZT & 1996 MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Lot more to it than that. This was posted by BigRuss about a similar situation, only key lost.
Yes, more than that, coding the remotes and pairing to the ECU I believe. You still need a T4 anyway to program them.

It all depends on cost of fitting used barrel/locks and key and recoding or working 'the magic'.
jordimussol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 16:38   #6
south bank
Avid contributor

Thanks for the responses all.

The T4 list on the tech forum only lists traders with T4s, and they're a decent distance from Wolverhampton. I can't get the car to them, obviously.

I know that the Four Ashes meet sometimes has a T4. Who runs those?

I've asked on the forum for the Wolves meets, but from what I understand it's also possible to get a key cut from some data on the ECU itself?

Real Wood Dashboard, Chrome Bullet Mirrors, Real Leather Armrest,1.8 Torpedo Badges, Rear Lamp Access Panels, Driver's Grab Handle, Footwell Wall Carpet, Real Leather Handbrake, Rear Ash Tray, Seatbelt Bolt Anchor Caps, Original Cigar Lighter, Original Door Reflectors.
Old 22nd January 2018, 19:03   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I've this very morning placed an order on behalf of a customer for a key from BMW via Xpart, this is in preference to breaking into the car, then replacing the steering column and door lock.

Even with my Xpart vendor discount he's going to be unlikely to have much change from £200 once the job is finished........

When I first worked on his car back in September, I had advised him to have a blank cut by Express Auto Keys, which would have cost him £15 and meant he would have been up and running on Saturday, sadly this advise wasn't heeded

I will be making him a spare key when the new one arrives, and he'll be getting the blade cut.......lesson learned

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 19:18   #8
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

The very least you should do is take a picture of your blade and store it on your phone just in case your key goes missing. Then it is a simple matter of ordering a replacement from where Brian has just stated.
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 19:35   #9
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

I have a BMW 520d.
Had 2 keys and wife lost one.
After realising that it could not be found, decided to buy new one.
Cost £262 from BMW. Could not get anyone else to supply me with one.
Lesson learned. Treat car keys with respect.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 22:44   #10
south bank
Avid contributor

Yep, I'm a clot. Sadly pointing at me and saying that isn't going to get my car started. I've tried saying that in the mirror many times and have yet to obtain a useful result from it.

I was quite unlucky, in that it slipped off what turned out to be a slightly loose keyring whilst out for the day in another car.

I did try to get a blade cut a couple of times, but the local Timpsons and such wouldn't cut a key that wasn't able to be programmed. I tried a few times, but it's rarely ever convenient to do something like this so with each failure, it became less and less likely I'd manage to get it done. In barely using the car, it slipped down my priority list. You might have more friendly cutters in your area.

I'm not trying to do it on the cheap. I have accepted it will cost me roughly £200. Even by obtaining a key cut according to the code on my ECU, I still need a T4 to program it to my car don't I? Or am I mistaken?

Does anyone know anywhere reputible that is a one stop shop for this? Somewhere or someone that I can post my ECU and immobiliser to in order to be posted back a new working key?

Thanks.