Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st April 2018, 21:11   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default Has anyone successfully repaired a pressure washer?

As above, recently I've been having problems with my pressure washer losing pressure while using it. It got a lot worse while cleaning the patio, then went to use it on the car Thursday and it wouldn't provide any pressure at all. Normally I'd turn it on, you'd hear it run as it built up pressure, then it'd switch off until I pulled the trigger. Now it runs continuously, occasionally stopping for a second or 2, but when you pull the trigger, it's just a dribble coming out, no pressure at all.

It's only a cheap washer (Vax), but I'd rather have a go at fixing it if anyone has got any ideas what I could need to replace. I'm guessing part of the pump has broken.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 21:15   #2
Walter
Posted a thing or two

zebadee

Send PM to Murphy 310. if hes still on site, he used to repair them for a living
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 23:10   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I used to sell pressure washers for a living, the majority of cheap pressure washers have a design life of 50 uses . I know this sounds low but when you think about it you are unlikely to use it every week so it is likely to last well out side the warranty period and even if you do use it more can you find the receipt after 10 or 11 months? The ones returned from DIY shops were usually just scrapped.

Even manufacturers like Karcher will make a DIY shop version and a professional version. The DIY shop one will have plastic and aluminium parts where as the professional version will have brass and steel parts.

I had a customer who would buy a professional machine every 18 months and part ex it in for a new one. He would rarely have any problems and if he did we would have an engineer on his site with 12 hours normally. Anyway he had a problem on Friday pm and there was no way I could get an engineer to him before Tuesday as it was a Bank Holiday. He bought the best one they had in B&Q to use over the weekend, by the time the engineer arrived Tuesday the one from B&Q had been replaced twice.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 16:40   #4
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I’ve had one or two Karcher washers over the years and certainly get well in excess of 50 uses, in fact I’ve used mine almost on a commercial basis with the amount of patio cleaning plus the sometimes twice weekly car wash with two cars.
But yes when they do go duff it probably more economical to just scrap it and get a new one.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 17:00   #5
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
I’ve had one or two Karcher washers over the years and certainly get well in excess of 50 uses, in fact I’ve used mine almost on a commercial basis with the amount of patio cleaning plus the sometimes twice weekly car wash with two cars.
But yes when they do go duff it probably more economical to just scrap it and get a new one.
Just had my Karcher K3 repaired by Karcher themselves.They offer a fixed price repair for £110 whatever the fault.This includes a full check on the unit/lance.I paid nearly £200 for it around 7-8 years ago and it has performed brilliantly until recently,including on work I have done for other people.Yes, the repair was half the cost of a similar new one but I'm familiar with this one and have been very satisfied with it.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 17:23   #6
Blackrose
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

My fairly new Karcher in Spain was leaking water and lost pressure. Stripped it and found a cracked plastic cylinder head. Ordered a new one £16 from the bay and fitted. Simple repair and working OK once again.

Blackrose
Blackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 17:37   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
As above, recently I've been having problems with my pressure washer losing pressure while using it. It got a lot worse while cleaning the patio, then went to use it on the car Thursday and it wouldn't provide any pressure at all. Normally I'd turn it on, you'd hear it run as it built up pressure, then it'd switch off until I pulled the trigger. Now it runs continuously, occasionally stopping for a second or 2, but when you pull the trigger, it's just a dribble coming out, no pressure at all.

It's only a cheap washer (Vax), but I'd rather have a go at fixing it if anyone has got any ideas what I could need to replace. I'm guessing part of the pump has broken.
Always worth having a go, I always do and no matter what - its the way to learn..

No pressure and not enough pressure to switch off, could be no water going in to it. Or it could be the valves are passing, letting the pressure back out, if the motor runs. They are often like flap valve - opened by pressure from the rear, closed by pressure from the front of them. Are you sure the HP hose isn't leaking? Pressure washers don't use much water, but at high pressure, they don't need to leak much, for the pressure to disappear.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 20:40   #8
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Hi, thanks for the replies. As I said at the time of buying it, it was the cheapest I could find, pretty sure it cost no more than £50, but taking it apart to have a look, I'll not lose anything, and may find it's something simple.

There were no obvious leaks, didn't notice any wet patches on the tarmac around the washer. It was working with slightly reduced pressure when I cleaned the patio. Put it away and got it out a few days later to wash the car, used the hose to wet the car, then connected the pressure washer and put the snow foam lance on, but it was just a dribble coming out the nozzle, less pressure than a normal hose pipe.

Hopefully in the next few days I'll get a chance to take it apart and maybe put some photos up on here.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 21:13   #9
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Stripped my last one down and found that replacing the part was not economical so bought another one (different make) and vowed not to purchase from the original manufacturer (German quality) again!
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 21:27   #10
Phil-Hex
Gets stuck in

Typhoon ZT-T CDTi Bittersweet 135 TF

have you tried it without the snow foam lance on?
i only say as the lances have a filter in them and they are prone to clogging up and actually stopping the flow of water
Phil-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote