Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th August 2018, 20:36   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Successfully made a height adjustable passenger electric seat

I needed to replace the seat covers and seat foams on my recently acquired project ZT-T as the driver's seat was pretty wrecked. Managed to source a pair of replacement front seats and whilst I had the seats out I thought I'd look to see if it would be possible to convert one of the driver's electric memory seats into a passenger side one.

Had a bit of a look into it but couldn't find any info, all the answers were simply buy a LHD driver's seat if you can find one. However I did see one old post where Marinabrian had replied showing a conversion he'd done on a 75 seat previously. So knew it was possible.

Well after 4 or 5 hours in total I've managed to successfully convert one

The conversion was fairly straight forward with just a bit of modification to the bracket for the seat belt needed to get it to fit. Also ofcourse had to switch the airbag over for a passenger seat one. Had to reroute the wiring to move the plugs for the switches onto the opposite side.

The only part I had to source is a LHD driver's electric memory seat switch pack as the RHD one can't be modified to fit on the passenger side unfortunately. Many thanks to Jim Jamieson for supplying me with the switch I needed which he had, really appreciate it mate

All tested and working nicely, will hopefully get round to fitting it to the car tomorrow

How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 21:41   #2
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Glad you managed to get everything together and working tickety boo.

I’m still on the lookout for an 8 way Non Memory L/H seat switch, meantime I’ve got a standard switch fitted after moving the seat height up a bit more than the standard setting.

I had thought about re jigging the 8 way R/H switch and mounting it underneath the seat but what a lot of work for little gain, maybe the proper switch will come up some day.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 21:55   #3
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

It might be worth (if you're on facebook) joining some of the European 75/ZT facebook groups. Someone on there may be able to help you source a switch from a LHD car

The alternative would be to fit a separate aftermarket switch to operate the height motor, maybe a 3 pin 2 way toggle switch would work? Not looked into the wiring diagrams for the wiring for the motors.
Old 30th August 2018, 22:32   #4
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

This would be a good conversion for my passenger seat. My wife complains that the seat squab is hard and cuts off the circulation in her legs! Or I'll put a 1" thick plank in the passenger footwell! I think she's got a cheek, - her SLK has virtually no padding between the leather and the baseboard! But you sit much lower.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2018, 04:11   #5
paul d
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Saab 93 'vert

A couple of years ago people were saying this couldn't be done. That was like red rag to a bull to me as I like a challenge.

Took a little while to work the seat belt out but other than that it's not as hard to do as you think. Main issue is getting the switch. More time consuming than difficult I found.

Mine has worked fine for 2 years now

Glad you got it sorted

Regards

Paul
Old 31st August 2018, 10:16   #6
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul d View Post
A couple of years ago people were saying this couldn't be done. That was like red rag to a bull to me as I like a challenge.

Took a little while to work the seat belt out but other than that it's not as hard to do as you think. Main issue is getting the switch. More time consuming than difficult I found.

Mine has worked fine for 2 years now

Glad you got it sorted

Regards

Paul
Cheers Paul

Yes more time consuming rather than being a difficult task. Although if I were to do another one I'd probably be able to do it quicker now, as a lot of time was spent observing the difference between the two seats and thinking lol.
Old 31st August 2018, 10:46   #7
paul d
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Cheers Paul

Yes more time consuming rather than being a difficult task. Although if I were to do another one I'd probably be able to do it quicker now, as a lot of time was spent observing the difference between the two seats and thinking lol.

Dead right Rick

I had a pair of seats in our spare room for Quite a while I was doing mine, Figuring it out. As you rightly say, be quicker 2nd time around.

I put the spare heated seat pads in the back seat in mine. Base is easy but the back is a right pain.

Quite a buzz when it works isn't it

Regards

Paul
Old 31st August 2018, 11:56   #8
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Quote:
Dead right Rick

I had a pair of seats in our spare room for Quite a while I was doing mine, Figuring it out. As you rightly say, be quicker 2nd time around.

I put the spare heated seat pads in the back seat in mine. Base is easy but the back is a right pain.

Quite a buzz when it works isn't it

Regards

Paul
thats a good idea with putting the spare heated seat pads in the rear seats. Is the seat back a pain due to being difficult to get the cover off?

I might do the same when I get round to remove the seat base cover so I can fit the rear seat cupholder Did you use the factory heated seat switches for the rear seats or aftermarket ones?
Old 31st August 2018, 12:33   #9
paul d
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
thats a good idea with putting the spare heated seat pads in the rear seats. Is the seat back a pain due to being difficult to get the cover off?

I might do the same when I get round to remove the seat base cover so I can fit the rear seat cupholder Did you use the factory heated seat switches for the rear seats or aftermarket ones?

Yes, getting the cover off & on is a real pain, not sure if that's one I'd do again..!!

I used 2 factory switches, cut up a normal switch holder(the one in the center console) then dremeled a cup holder blank & fitted them behind that. Top was left, bottom was right.

If you PM me your email I'll send you some pics.

Regards

Paul
Old 31st August 2018, 13:00   #10
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Quote:
Yes, getting the cover off & on is a real pain, not sure if that's one I'd do again..!!

I used 2 factory switches, cut up a normal switch holder(the one in the center console) then dremeled a cup holder blank & fitted them behind that. Top was left, bottom was right.

If you PM me your email I'll send you some pics.

Regards

Paul
PM on it's way