Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th January 2021, 12:57   #1
rikk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI

Default ZT vibration when driving on motorway

Hi, I have a slightly odd thing happening with my ZT .. some sort of wobble/vibration happening at speed (about 60-70) on a motorway .. it comes and goes.. seems to start happening when going round a right hand bend at motorway speed.. then when back on a straight gradually goes off. So it seems like something may be imbalanced or loose. But it's recently passed it's MOT and nothing was spotted and it's done this now and again before the mot. But last night happened so bad that i thought i was going to have to pull over as it felt like a wheel might be about to fall off.. but then a few seconds later it just stopped..

It's not like an imbalanced wheel .. well certainly not like when a front wheel is imbalanced where you feel it through the steering. And when a wheel is imbalanced it tends to always do the wobble at the same speeds. Maybe something happening at the rear wheels.. i was thinking could it even be to do with the brakes ?

Has anyone had something like this before? .. any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks.
rikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 19:21   #2
Royster
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default Vibration

Hi Rikk

At the very least I would check the wheel nuts all round, then jack the car up and check for anything loose (brake and steering components etc.)

It seems too un-nerving to drive at the moment without giving the mg a good once over

Royster
Royster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 19:59   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

---Motorway speeds tend to show up un-balanced wheels.---60 to 70 mph.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 20:29   #4
david2000
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

have a good look at the tyres for any damage also check to see if the tyres are fitted correctly there is a direction arrow on the tyre to indicate the direction it should turn if the drivers tyre was put on to the passenger side and the passenger tyre was put on to the drivers side then at speed this causes vibration
david2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 23:16   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Bulges in the tyre side walls can do odd things too if the tyre has been accidently kerbed.
Old 17th January 2021, 13:18   #6
rikk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI

Ok. thanks for the comments, i will take a look to check this stuff.. you are right it was certainly unnerving to drive at that speed with this sort of thing happening!
Old 17th January 2021, 23:19   #7
moffat666

rover 75 saloon

Default steering vibration.

hi rikk, i had the same problem 60 - 70 mph, started vibrating to a severe wobble, turned out to be the o/s driveshaft, (must have been balance weight), changed the driveshaft and all was good, good luck JOHN.
moffat666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2021, 11:05   #8
rikk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI

Hi, just to let you know, i found out what was wrong with this .. front nearside brake is sticking sometimes.. caliper needs replacing or reconditioning.. was surprised by this as the car was vibrating like something was out of balance, hadn't expected it to be the brakes. Anyway that appears to be what it is.
Old 30th January 2021, 12:46   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikk View Post
Hi, just to let you know, i found out what was wrong with this .. front nearside brake is sticking sometimes.. caliper needs replacing or reconditioning.. was surprised by this as the car was vibrating like something was out of balance, hadn't expected it to be the brakes. Anyway that appears to be what it is.
You need to inspect the disc too with a dial gauge.

With a caliper sticking and a not flat disc there will be a vibration transmitted up into the steering of the car. Just like wheel wobble from an un-balanced wheel.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disc surface check..jpg (13.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 30th January 2021, 13:00   #10
rikk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI

Yes i will check that, thanks, actually am thinking if i have to get new calipers, discs and pads i may take the opportunity to upgrade to the "190" brakes , if i can find the "caliper carriers" for sale anywhere. The pads definitely need replacing as the one on the sticking side has worn down a lot more, and as you say the discs may be shot too.