Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th January 2011, 23:12   #1
jn12
Gets stuck in

MG ZT SE 180 V6 Sports Auto

Default ZT 18inch Tyres

Hi

I am sorry as im sure this has been asked a million times but not having much luck searching.

Basically I have Nankang tyres on my ZT with 18inch grid alloys, 2 at front are new, rears just over half worn. They are noisey and not good at all on slippy or wet roads.

I want to put better ones on and need your thoughts on what to get! Dont fancy spending over £1k on the big names though!

Cheers
John
jn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 23:16   #2
johnwh74
Posted a thing or two

mg zt & Bmw 528i

I work in a tyre bay and have had good feedback on Federal tyres. Not expensive and are a good looking tyre. alot of people seem to go for Kumho but personally i will be fitting Federal's next time i need new rubber

john
Old 15th January 2011, 23:18   #3
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

I'm experimenting at the mo............I did put a full set of Vredestein Ultracs on & they were £400 a set & have been fantastic (well over 20,000 miles & 2 are still well legal) but sadly they've discontinued them in our size which is a shame.
I always liked Uniroyals on my Volvos but different cars are better suited to different tyres so I couldn't guarantee satisfaction
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 23:18   #4
BIG LEK
Banned

Rover 75

hello, john ive got maxxis ones on mine found them great in the dry but in the wet quite the opposite,but there not all that noisey.cheer's Lee
BIG LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 23:23   #5
johnwh74
Posted a thing or two

mg zt & Bmw 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG LEK View Post
hello, john ive got maxxis ones on mine found them great in the dry but in the wet quite the opposite,but there not all that noisey.cheer's Lee
Hi Lee

I can get hold of Maxxis tyres, think i have sold one tyre but i have not had any feedback on it to be honest. It wasnt a tyre that stood out to me unlike the federals.

Federals i have put on 2 mercedes cars, one belongs to a good friend and he loves them. Not trying to push them onto anyone but they are good value and like i said, i would have them on my car next time i need rubber

john
Old 15th January 2011, 23:30   #6
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

If you put tyres into the search function - you're right, it has been asked a million times before!

All I'll say on the subject is; get the best you can afford.

You can have the best brakes in the world and stability aids, but if your tyres are not up to the job, then they may as well be made from chocolate.

I bought some cheap tyres. They're great in the dry, but not too good in the wet, and I've not even had the courage to try them in the snow & ice.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 23:33   #7
BIG LEK
Banned

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwh74 View Post
Hi Lee

I can get hold of Maxxis tyres, think i have sold one tyre but i have not had any feedback on it to be honest. It wasnt a tyre that stood out to me unlike the federals.

Federals i have put on 2 mercedes cars, one belongs to a good friend and he loves them. Not trying to push them onto anyone but they are good value and like i said, i would have them on my car next time i need rubber

john
To be honest john they were brand new when i bought the car iv'e found them a bit nasty in the wet i/ve nearly lost the front end afew times not going hard either just dont seem to grip so i/ll wait to see what people think for next time cheer's
BIG LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 23:47   #8
tvpcop
Loves to post

MG ZT CDTI 135+

Loads of people recommend Kumho KU31's about £90 each from Camskil. Thats what i'll be using next. I used to have Federals, not a bad tyre for the money just dont push it in the wet
tvpcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 11:39   #9
bobf
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I've fitted Falken FK-452, a Japanese made tyre, and I'm finding them to have great grip in the dry and the wet and pretty good in the recent snow and ice.
With a very stiff sidewall, the ride is quite hard, but at £400 a set, I think they're great value. As for longevity, they're looking good after 5K with no fast wear pattern.
My previous "cheapo" "Event" 40 profile (chinese) tyres lasted 25k, with very good dry grip, but wet weather grip was poor.

Bob
bobf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 11:51   #10
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

I fitted Falken FK452's to the front of mine last year. Not bad grip all round, but I do find they tram line more than the Conti's I had, and are wearing pretty quickly too.

I've been looking on http://www.tyretest.com/ to try and find a better value tyre.

I agree with Col that the Uniroyals look pretty good.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...61b0s557p60693

http://www.tyretest.com/summercar_ty...t_2/index.html

Hankooks are also on my shortlist.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...61b0s557p15228

http://www.tyretest.com/summercar_ty...evo/index.html

These Hankooks also looked ok, but are V rated and not XL tyres like the rest of mine.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote